Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinkoman1337

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
I’m confused....

One, I should say off the bat, I think this has been over blown. I would never keep a phone longer then 3 years now anyway. But this isn’t a rant thread.

The thing I’m confused about is, I had a 6S and when I got my X my mom asked if she could have it(her first smart phone). I figured sure. What the hell.

But, the phone was randomly shutting off on low power, had been for awhile. I knew Apple was doing a battery replacement program. Mine was included, ran the serial number etc. I just lived with it shutting off cause I knew I was getting the X at some point.

But, now that the phone was to be my Mom's, I figured better get it replaced. So I went to my Apple store and like 4 hours later all done!

Then the battery”gate” thing happens. Now I’m lost, was this the same problem that started the battery replacement program? If so, why did they replace them for free, if they had a “fix” via software. I mean I paid nothing. Also why wasn’t it all iPhone 6S’? Nor iPhone 6.

Or was this a different issue all together that had them start the 6S replacement program, but just similar symptoms?

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
My 6S didn't qualify so I assume the battery replacement program was specific to certain serial numbers.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
I’m confused....

One, I should say off the bat, I think this has been over blown. I would never keep a phone longer then 3 years now anyway. But this isn’t a rant thread.

The thing I’m confused about is, I had a 6S and when I got my X my mom asked if she could have it(her first smart phone). I figured sure. What the hell.

But, the phone was randomly shutting off on low power, had been for awhile. I knew Apple was doing a battery replacement program. Mine was included, ran the serial number etc. I just lived with it shutting off cause I knew I was getting the X at some point.

But, now that the phone was to be my Mom's, I figured better get it replaced. So I went to my Apple store and like 4 hours later all done!

Then the battery”gate” thing happens. Now I’m lost, was this the same problem that started the battery replacement program? If so, why did they replace them for free, if they had a “fix” via software. I mean I paid nothing. Also why wasn’t it all iPhone 6S’? Nor iPhone 6.

Or was this a different issue all together that had them start the 6S replacement program, but just similar symptoms?

Kinkoman-

I think have this right as I was in the same affected serial range as you were. What Apple covered in that maintenance program is a specific series of batteries that had been improperly handled post-manufacturing, such that the overall integrity of the lithium ion batteries was affected. So the specific program that replaced your and my iPhone batteries addressed a series of devices that performed poorly before their time and were more more susceptible to sudden power outages.

The issue in the current controversy is with the exponentially larger number of batteries that have nothing to do with the affected serial number range and have naturally aged with their associated iPhone. Those lithium ion batteries have degraded to a point where there are now in the state that your and mine affected batteries were out of the box, that is, susceptible to sudden shutdown as the processor calls for juice and the battery just doesn't have it to give. Hence, they down clock your device in order to avoid the unannounced and unpredictable shutdown.

I think that they they don't advise you of this down clocking is bad business at so many different levels, and I'm a pretty big Apple fan-boy. First, I would have bought the battery if told, and that's just good business. But I think the trust breach is more serious. Why don't you tell me when you're doing something to fundamentally change the performance potential of the device I own? That they didn't is just bad judgment on their part, imho.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: Martyimac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I keep a phone as long as it works and is giving me good service. Unless they slowed me down tremendously, I probably wouldn't notice that much

Neither would the majority even notice that much either. It's just you're going to find out on a tech forum, this issue is completely exacerbated beyond what anyone else would care about in their every day life.

Reactions: Martyimac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.