Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue others have reported.
I like the case, but seems to a lot of weight to it.
Those of you with both case the commuter and defender case, how does the weight compare to each other not including the top cover for the defender.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I have the Commuter...

No "oil slick", however i did notice that it forces an air bubble about the size of a splinter to form under my screen protector near the home button. I've taken the case off to get rid of the air bubble, reapplied the case, no bubble. However, with use, i noticed the air bubble forming again. Nothing major, just distracting knowing its there.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I just received my Defender Case and having the oil slick issue others have reported.
I like the case, but seems to a lot of weight to it.
Those of you with both case the commuter and defender case, how does the weight compare to each other not including the top cover for the defender.

Oil Slick?

Please explain...

Cam101

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
There is a fix for this "oil slick".

Simply apply a very VERY light coating of baby powder to the inside of the screen protector. I stress... VERY light coating. If you squeeze the baby powder bottle, and it looks like no powder came out... that's enough to do the trick!

I used this trick for the iphone Otterbox Defender case... but I would assume it would work on the ipad case as well.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
There is a fix for this "oil slick".

Simply apply a very VERY light coating of baby powder to the inside of the screen protector. I stress... VERY light coating. If you squeeze the baby powder bottle, and it looks like no powder came out... that's enough to do the trick!

I used this trick for the iphone Otterbox Defender case... but I would assume it would work on the ipad case as well.

Uhh, no.

There is no screen protector on the iPad Defender case. The 'oil slick' is from pressure of the case on the back of the iPad which causes the 'oil slick' to appear under the glass itself.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I have the commuter and don't have the oil slick problem. The case is quite heavy, but I have gotten used to it now.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Uhh, no.

There is no screen protector on the iPad Defender case. The 'oil slick' is from pressure of the case on the back of the iPad which causes the 'oil slick' to appear under the glass itself.

Are you serious!!!

That case can flex the aluminum back so much that it will deform the screen and cause that "Oil Slick" effect?!?

That sucks!!!

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Are you serious!!!

That case can flex the aluminum back so much that it will deform the screen and cause that "Oil Slick" effect?!?

That sucks!!!

It appears it's in combination with the firmly fit part of the case that goes over the front bezel of the iPad. The bezel part of the Defender holds the glass allowing no give while slight pressure from the back = small 'oil slick" (my theory at least). Mine appeared only when the dock cover was in place and was easily remedied as I mentioned in another post/thread. In NO way does the back of the Defender deform the back casing of the iPad.

pdhahn

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Poconos, PA
I'm a big fan of the Commuter. While it is still pretty heavy, it's not obnoxiously heavy and you still get a good level of protection.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I have the Commuter case. I do not have an oil slick and I am having problems understanding what that is...pics would help.

I also do not think it is heavy. I switched to the Commuter from the Speck Candyshell which I found to be too glossy and slippery in my hands. The Commuter is not nearly as slippery, so I am enjoying it very much. I do not like the way the removable dock cover works though. I wish it were more snug, or tight. It's loose. Not loose enough to wiggle or make a sound, just not snug. Also, it's not perfectly flush with the rest of the case. One side is slightly raised.

Do I have a bad one? Should I ask for an exchange??? :confused:

Pics:

photo-105.jpg

This side is the more flush side.

photo-106.jpg

This side is not as flush.

Additional Views:

photo-107.jpg

The more flush side.

photo-108.jpg

The less flush side.

Am I being nitpicky, or is that how it is supposed to be?

As much as it costs I was just expecting it to fit like a glove and for the removable cover to be tight.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
That's close to how my dock cover is on my case.

Definitely not flush and although feels loose, it seems to be secure. I have noticed that after 3 weeks of use, it's easier to remove compared to before.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks, and yes, I agree. mine is secure too. I don't feel like it's going to fall off anyway. And I have also noticed it is easier to remove than it was before.

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
weird.. i never had the "oil-slick" issues you guys are having. i have the defender for almost 5 days now and i must say that its pretty well built and does make the iPad a tad heavy.

in any case, i still love it! :D

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I sent an email to Ottterbox about a week ago and only got an automatic response email that my email was received.
I took the case off and on a couple of times hoping the oil slick would go away. But now noticed like small press /dent on my iPad like the case is just squeezing it way to hard.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
this oil slick thing, you're not talking about the screen protector, right? Some screen protectors give a shimmer/oil look.

It's just in a two-piece slider shell. I'm not sure how it exerts any pressure on the iPad by itself.

The Defender is a beast, especially with the cover/stand attached. The Commuter has similar layer protection, but not as much. I would say unless you really have a rugged application, you may be happiest with the Commuter.

I haven't done the review of the Commuter yet, but one thing I don't like is the dock door doesn't come off as easy as the Defender. That's kind of a big deal when you need to remove it to charge/sync.

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11216
http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=11220

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I haven't done the review of the Commuter yet, but one thing I don't like is the dock door doesn't come off as easy as the Defender. That's kind of a big deal when you need to remove it to charge/sync.

How long have you had it? May just have to "break" it in.

When I received my Commuter, at first removing the dock cover was a two hand operation. Now I could remove it with just my index and thumb. I think it comes off a little too easily now.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
How long have you had it? May just have to "break" it in.

When I received my Commuter, at first removing the dock cover was a two hand operation. Now I could remove it with just my index and thumb. I think it comes off a little too easily now.

Maybe. The Defender though has thumb grips that make it much easier. So I'm comparing the two out of the box.

ronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Anyone have both cases and can tell me if there is a big difference in the weight of the two? Comparing the Defender with out the screen cover with the commuter case. Thanks
Still deciding if I should buy the commuter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.