Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pookieinc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
California
Hello all!

I want to begin creating some applications for the iPhone. I am a computer science major and I know Java pretty well and a bit of C as well. I am aware that in order to create some apps, one must learn Cocoa, and in order to learn Cocoa for Mac OS X, one must know Objective-C.

I was wondering how all of you began your adventure to create an app. Did you read a book, become fluent, and just begin creating apps? Did you work with the SDK and just learn it from fooling around with it?

I have many good ideas I'd like to implement into the new iPhone App Store, but I need to start learning the languages first. What do you recommend, and how did you go by learning and creating one?

Thanks for all the advice and posts you guys make. It inspires me to continue learning as much as possible.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Then you should do just fine.

It just requires getting used to the syntax. After that, everything's remotely the same.

The documentation in Xcode is excellent. There's even a "first application" tutorial in Xcode for the iPhone.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I just started doing it. Using Apple's sample code and documentation for the most part, some help from various forums also helped move me along. Right now I have 7 apps in the store, 1 in review. Prior to this I only had BASIC and Lua knowledge.

help!!!!!

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Then you should do just fine.

It just requires getting used to the syntax. After that, everything's remotely the same.

The documentation in Xcode is excellent. There's even a "first application" tutorial in Xcode for the iPhone.

Where is the "first application" tutorial in Xcode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.