Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
I thought about it and it would be wise for carriers not to charge for LTE on the Apple Watch because:

-Customers are using their existing data. It’s not like you’re adding an iPad to your plan that comes with 5 gigs for an extra $15

-Using your Apple Watch instead of iPhone will use less data thus reducing the LTE congestion. Cellular congestion is a big problem lately which is why all carriers are capping the amount of data you can use even if you have unlimited data.

Essentially charging $10 per month is a win win for the carriers because they are not giving us extra data for the Watch and we are not using as much of the data we pay for while using the watch (example: less notifications, no video, no email attachments, etc).

I workout/run 4-5 times per week and each time I drag my phone with me. Because I have it on me, I use YouTube and other apps which use lots of data (I have unlimited). Now if I they let me use my watch, I would leave the phone and only use watch for the gym, runs, quick errands, going out, etc.

Yes I know what most people will say: it’s wise for carriers to charge $10 because they can and most people will pay it. I think the fair thing to do is charge the customer an activation fee for setting up the sim. But if you’re going to charge $10 atleast offer more data or something to the deal.

Just my two cents.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Agreed. But I see that happing if EVERYONE refused to accept the 10$.

Cheapest I can get it for is $8. (Hook up discount)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.