Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revfife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
I was wondering if anyone might have thoughts about moving from a d100 which I have presently to the D50. The D50 is a much newer camera and Nikon just recently (Friday from the local photo store) dropped the kit price to $699 est street which is very tempting. I just don't know if I should take the plunge or keep on using my D100. Anyone have any comments or thoughts?

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
The D50 uses the same CCD as the D100. It has a plastic body (instead of magnesium) and it does not have the cable release. I am not sure why you would want to upgrade/sidegrade to a D50. What new features are you looking for that your D100 does not have? Instead of going for a new body, I would recommend a new lens. I hear the 18-200VR DX is pretty good.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why not consider moving from the D100 to the D200? Or the D70s? Each of those cameras is going to have more in common with your D100 -- more features -- than the D50. You might find that on the D50 you will miss some features that you'd used on the D100. (Without doing a visual or hands-on comparison of those two cameras, neither of which I own, I can't list what those features might be, but I suspect that there are at least a few which are missing from the D50 that are present on the cameras which followed the D100 (D70, D70s, D200) because of the fact that the D50 is targeted towards a different market.

revfife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Thanks for the replies. Yes you are probably right, money would be better spent at the lens level. Keep on bugging the stores to get in the 18-200 lens. Most people who I have talked to rave about it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
revfife said:
Thanks for the replies. Yes you are probably right, money would be better spent at the lens level. Keep on bugging the stores to get in the 18-200 lens. Most people who I have talked to rave about it.

Well, bug Nikon! We at the stores are just as upset at the new stuff from Nikon not being available.

But good things come to those who wait....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.