Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Hey guys! I'm seeking advice as to what you guys think would be the most appropriate route in concern to this issue. Basically, one day after unplugging my MacBook AC adapter from the wall, one of the 'winding ears' fell out of the adapter and I soon discovered it had been snapped off. It must have been some fault of my own but I was not putting any deliberate pressure on the adapter and I'm unsure as to how this has happened.

Now, obviously this isn't a crucial part of the adapter and the adapter still functions perfectly well. Having had my MacBook for less than a year, I can't help thinking this is not my fault and may well be a design flaw on Apple's part. I've seen this exact case multiple times whilst searching around regarding this.

Do you think, if I took it into an Apple store, they would issue a replacement adapter and acknowledge that mine shouldn't have broken. Or, would they consider it a meaningless piece of the adapter and certainly not grounds for a replacement? I have tried to fix this but there's no way to get the piece back inside of the adapter case once the snapped part is re-glued to the 'ear'. I'm not comfortable with pulling the adapter case apart either. I've included a couple of images below to better explain my case.

Be nice, guys. :D

UPDATE: Apple issued a straight up replacement for my adapter stating that it was for "peace of mind" if nothing else. I always have such a great experience in the Apple Store! I've removed the images as I deleted them from my Imgur. This thread can be locked now, if a moderator sees this message.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys! I'm seeking advice as to what you guys think would be the most appropriate route in concern to this issue. Basically, one day after unplugging my MacBook AC adapter from the wall, one of the 'winding ears' fell out of the adapter and I soon discovered it had been snapped off. It must have been some fault of my own but I was not putting any deliberate pressure on the adapter and I'm unsure as to how this has happened.

Now, obviously this isn't a crucial part of the adapter and the adapter still functions perfectly well. Having had my MacBook for less than a year, I can't help thinking this is not my fault and may well be a design flaw on Apple's part. I've seen this exact case multiple times whilst searching around regarding this.

Do you think, if I took it into an Apple store, they would issue a replacement adapter and acknowledge that mine shouldn't have broken. Or, would they consider it a meaningless piece of the adapter and certainly not grounds for a replacement? I have tried to fix this but there's no way to get the piece back inside of the adapter case once the snapped part is re-glued to the 'ear'. I'm not comfortable with pulling the adapter case apart either. I've included a couple of images below to better explain my case.

Be nice, guys. :D

That appears to be plastic fatigue from heat. Then finally, after charging your MacBook when you removed the adapter it was warm and soft, thus snapping the ear off. I would bring it to Apple and speak to them. I don't think it will be any trouble for them at all.

I wouldn't call it a defect, but it appears to be wear and tear. Now if the adapter ran hotter than most, then you have full rights to demand a replacement adapter at no charge!

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
That appears to be plastic fatigue from heat. Then finally, after charging your MacBook when you removed the adapter it was warm and soft, thus snapping the ear off. I would bring it to Apple and speak to them. I don't think it will be any trouble for them at all.

I wouldn't call it a defect, but it appears to be wear and tear. Now if the adapter ran hotter than most, then you have full rights to demand a replacement adapter at no charge!

Thanks for your help! I'll definitely take it in when I can.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I would like to hear how it works out for you. Best of luck!

Literally just left the Apple Store. Straight up replacement for "peace of mind." God, I love the Apple Store! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.