Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hey fellas,
So i've been using my iphone x for almost a week now. I really love it! The more i've been using it, the more i appreciate the speed, fluidity, simplicity, and deceptive power of iOS and how well it works with apple watch. Below are some thoughts:
- The form factor is wonderful. Slightly shorter than my S8 which is nice for reaching to the status bar.
-the display is GORGEOUS especially with truetone enabled. Although i wish it had a LITTLE more contrast and brightness like my S8, especially for movies, but i am already more than happy.
-The speakers are stellar, especially coming from S7 and S8 which had some of the worst speakers ever due to no stereo plus muffled qualities due to waterproofing.
-Really nice to have a silent switch now!
-Battery life has been really great. Probably even a little better than my S8 which has a bigger battery. in my tests i dont really count the scenarios where i play games or sit and watch movies at home because i could have been charging while doing that. I usually count the really busy work days where i am just using my phone for general stuff often and am not around any wall outlets. And last week I had a busy day and was on battery from 7:30 am to 6:30 PM and i still had 59-60% left so thats more than good enough for me
-Doesn't charge as fast as my S8 (which comes with a fast charger), but I will get the 29W usb c charger solution next week so i guess i'll have fast charging then.
-THE NOTCH. first off the notch kind of was un noticeable in full screen videos after 30 minutes and hasnt bothered me. but also as i use it more i understand mor eand more why they made this design choice. SO far, we dont have the tech to put sensors under the display so what other choice did they have? they could have filled in the corners on top around the notch with a bezel to make it symmetrical and "smoother". but then they would get accused of copying samsung because it would have looked just like the S8 top bezel. It would have looked smooth and kind of nice but very stale and unoriginal, and that's not apple. apple is just maximizing the screen realestate the only way that is technologically possible right now, there was no other way.
-GESTURES GESTURES GESTURES. I would almost pay the price tag just for these gestures. All my friends thought i was crazy when i was making a big deal of how awesome it was that with iphone 7 you didnt have to press a physical home button it was just a force touch haptic button. But when you are pressing home maybe a hundred times a day, it really makes a huge difference physically if you dont have to exert that little extra force with your thumb to press in a physical button. I felt the same when the S8 ditched the home button from the S8 for onscreen buttons/under-the-display pressure button. But the gestures on the iphone X took all this to the next level. Swiping up to go home is simply natural and i dont even realize im doing it. its so fluid and perfect. and swiping right to go back to the recent app is amazing. i always thought android's double tap on recent apps button to go back to the last app you used was great and far superior to iOS double tap home button and then tap the recent app..... but this swipe right gesture on bottom of screen in iphone x blows that out of the water.
-I have a couple of gripes and design choices but they are issues with iOS 11. Things like Auto Brightness Settings. Why the heckin heck did it have to get buried under 4 pages of settings menus??? It used to be settings>> display>>. now its settings>>general>>accessibility>>display accomodations. Would it have been so hard for them to put an auto brightness toggle next to the true tone/nightshift toggles when you 3D touch brightness in control center? I like to use max brightness when i watch movies or play games for a more vibrant experience and then go back to auto when im done, and this makes it a little more cumbersome.

overall super happy with my move back to iOS and to the iphone X, ill add if i have anymore thoughts

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Nice to see a thread that isn’t complaining about something for once. Literally the only downside I acknowledge is many games plus the Tapatalk app not updating to support the new display. If games can push other updates they could pool the resources into updating for the new screen.

Reactions: JamiLynee

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Hey fellas,
So i've been using my iphone x for almost a week now. I really love it! The more i've been using it, the more i appreciate the speed, fluidity, simplicity, and deceptive power of iOS and how well it works with apple watch. Below are some thoughts:
- The form factor is wonderful. Slightly shorter than my S8 which is nice for reaching to the status bar.

overall super happy with my move back to iOS and to the iphone X, ill add if i have anymore thoughts

Glad you like your X. I am on the fence between an s8 and an X. The s8 because of price, customization, and something fresh (plus that infinity display). I am considering the X because it is apple, refined, all screen (almost).

Why are you glad you left your s8 and went to an X?

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
2 days in a row i went to play with the x, i like it better than my ip7....it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me
camera ( phone has become my point and shoot, serious photos still done with sony a6000)
display ( beautiful and bigger than the 7 but not as massive as the plus models)
battery
stereo speakers ( i think this is a must on a phone now after getting used to it)

price is hard to swallow with the 256gb model, my ideal size is 128gb

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for following up on your earlier post in another thread, and for an agenda-free view on the X.
[doublepost=1513183799][/doublepost]
2 days in a row i went to play with the x, i like it better than my ip7....it pretty much ticks all the boxes for me
camera ( phone has become my point and shoot, serious photos still done with sony a6000)
display ( beautiful and bigger than the 7 but not as massive as the plus models)
battery
stereo speakers ( i think this is a must on a phone now after getting used to it)

I hope this isn't misunderstood. I have and love a 7. I bought an X three weeks ago or so because I was incredibly curious. The X isn't perfect, but a lot of the points the OP here makes I agree with. I still haven't figured out the answer to the "keep or return" question but it's clear that it would be very hard to go back to the 7, as much as I like it. Capacity: I looked at how I use storage on my phone now and how I use Dropbox and iCloud and went with 64GB (originally feeling as you do, that 128GB would have been ideal). It doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Reactions: callihan_44

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
battery

The Stereo speakers are highly underrated since the iPhone 7 when they first debuted. For me, I use the majority of my phone calls on speakerphone, and the clarity and Crispness with the stereo speakers is excellent. It's by far my favorite feature that Apple has introduced since 3D Touch.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The Stereo speakers are highly underrated since the iPhone 7 when they first debuted. For me, I use the majority of my phone calls on speakerphone, and the clarity and Crispness with the stereo speakers is excellent. It's by far my favorite feature that Apple has introduced since 3D Touch.

I think they are wonderful for when you have YouTube Red, a bubble bath and a glass of wine. I could just get a Bluetooth speaker I'm sure but just being able to use the device itself is a really nice luxury.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I think they are wonderful for when you have YouTube Red, a bubble bath and a glass of wine. I could just get a Bluetooth speaker I'm sure but just being able to use the device itself is a really nice luxury.
I have a bose speaker that sounds great listening to music, however i found i prefer listening to podcasts just using the speakers on the phone. And amazingly i can hear stereo separation even standing a few feet away from the phone

Reactions: 44267547

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Glad you like your X. I am on the fence between an s8 and an X. The s8 because of price, customization, and something fresh (plus that infinity display). I am considering the X because it is apple, refined, all screen (almost).

Why are you glad you left your s8 and went to an X?
-I favor the simplicity and power of iOS right now.
-Apple watch integration imo is lightyears ahead of whatever android wear can offer ( although i will miss my huawei watch because it looks like a rolex)
-The customizability REALLY gets old on android for me after a month or two.
-S8 display is BEAUTIFUL and i like it a little more than the iphone x display but not a big deal since iphone x is also OLED which is the biggest factor.
-Don't get me wrong, the S8 is an AMAZING phone if you are die hard android. the price is great now, its very fast and has a beautiful display. iOS is just more fluid, and its not samsungs fault, just how android is. It has never been as smooth and simple as iOS for me.
-iphone x gestures are game changer for me too

MacQork

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2017
-I favor the simplicity and power of iOS right now.
-Apple watch integration imo is lightyears ahead of whatever android wear can offer ( although i will miss my huawei watch because it looks like a rolex)
-The customizability REALLY gets old on android for me after a month or two.
-S8 display is BEAUTIFUL and i like it a little more than the iphone x display but not a big deal since iphone x is also OLED which is the biggest factor.
-Don't get me wrong, the S8 is an AMAZING phone if you are die hard android. the price is great now, its very fast and has a beautiful display. iOS is just more fluid, and its not samsungs fault, just how android is. It has never been as smooth and simple as iOS for me.
-iphone x gestures are game changer for me too

Dude for the sake of yourself and others; use paragraphs. I'm surprised people actually take the time to read that unorganised block of text that is the op...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a bose speaker that sounds great listening to music, however i found i prefer listening to podcasts just using the speakers on the phone. And amazingly i can hear stereo separation even standing a few feet away from the phone

I agree. I actually can leave my iPhone stationary and still use the phone for speaker calls, which I can clearly hear across the room. Fun fact for those who didn't know, Apple actually increased the stereo speakers by 25 percent on the iPhone 8, which I assume is also applicable to the iPhone X.

schoff0310

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Southeast Florida
I love that the phone ringer automatically gets lower when you pick up the phone and look at it!
I love the phone and happy about the size since I had a 6plus.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I love that the phone ringer automatically gets lower when you pick up the phone and look at it!
I love the phone and happy about the size since I had a 6plus.

No kidding? I didn't realize that.
Is that an IOS function or exclusive to the X?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I checked one out today. Screen looks nice. The swipe up thing I could get used to. But......

The stainless band around the phone just does not seem like it should be part of this phone. It seems retro, almost like an after thought. Does not seem to fit the rest of the phone's vibe to me. I like the feel, it seems pretty thin, feels good, but the polished band around the phone, no thanks. Kind of like pin striping and 15" wheels on a Ferrari.

Bezels or not, the design is getting old.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Guessing he desires double spacing between your paragraphs. :)
Tab key at the start of each "paragraph" would suffice. The punctuation sucks, but the review was solid. Even the part about strange software choices. The settings seem to evolve every iteration, and I can't keep up. Finding settings seem to get harder each new iOS version. But yeah, I love my X. In day to day use, it is a joy to use, and I don't even play games or watch movies on it.
It's a feature that is exclusive to the X.
Finding little things like this is what I love about iPhones in general though. It's not good enough to just throw tech in the phone. They seem to really try to figure out the best way from the user's perspective.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I checked one out today. Screen looks nice. The swipe up thing I could get used to. But......

The stainless band around the phone just does not seem like it should be part of this phone. It seems retro, almost like an after thought. Does not seem to fit the rest of the phone's vibe to me. I like the feel, it seems pretty thin, feels good, but the polished band around the phone, no thanks. Kind of like pin striping and 15" wheels on a Ferrari.

Bezels or not, the design is getting old.

Aesthetically, the stainless bands do look nice on the iPhone X and I see what Apple was trying to do here, given they do scratch easy. But I do see Apple retaining the stainless bands in the future. And likely even adding a different colored stainless option in 2018 next to the silver and space gray

Reactions: bopajuice

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Finding little things like this is what I love about iPhones in general though. It's not good enough to just throw tech in the phone. They seem to really try to figure out the best way from the user's perspective.
When I read about these little subtle things, it’s hard for me to reply without sounding sarcastic or condescending.
I wish I could just say “no-sh it”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.