Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm looking to buy a 12" Powerbook today and I was hoping for some input for you owners or admirers..Here are the specs:

PowerPC G4 @ 867 MHZ with 640 MB of Ram, Superdrive, 60 GB HDD, Tiger.

Does this sound like a decent machine? Will it handle tiger decently? Is the RAM maxed out? What is a good price for one of these? Will this last me a couple of months till I can get a rev b mbp?

I've been craving a mac since the MBP came out to save me from windows. So, I found a 12" PB online and I'm going to try and get it. I'm hoping it'll give me a good experience to the OS and then I'll probably sell it later on this year. Good plan?

--Sorry, I think i post this thread in another spot...

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, it sounds reasonable. I would steer you away from Rev. A 12" PB's, but since you only plan on having it for a few months, I suppose it doesn't matter. The reason I say that is the Rev. A's had heat issues, and they lack a DVI output (which might not matter to you). I have a Rev. B, 1 GHz 12", and I've been more than pleased with it.

I'm not sure about price, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
MoparShaha said:
Yeah, it sounds reasonable. I would steer you away from Rev. A 12" PB's, but since you only plan on having it for a few months, I suppose it doesn't matter. The reason I say that is the Rev. A's had heat issues, and they lack a DVI output (which might not matter to you). I have a Rev. B, 1 GHz 12", and I've been more than pleased with it.

I'm not sure about price, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

Thanks alot for the quick reponse. Yea, i'm looking forward to getting it. I just wanted something to hold me over till I get my MBP and to play with the tiger alittle...

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Collin973 said:
Thanks alot for the quick reponse. Yea, i'm looking forward to getting it. I just wanted something to hold me over till I get my MBP and to play with the tiger alittle...

If you can't get it for $600-700, spring for a MacBook. They will have good resale value in 2-3 months, compared with a deadweight PowerPC. But the 12" is a beautiful machine, nonetheless.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Yea, powerpc's are definitely losing their value. I bought a 12 inch powerbook for 1200 last year and now I probably can only get 800 for it if I try hard. Just realize that the resale value may go down pretty quickly if you want to sell it when you get your MBP. Goodluck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.