Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peletrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
What is the best way to configure the new Mac Pro for audio recording, in terms of data storage? the recommended solution is SSD external connected via thunderbolt..

what about a second SSD internal? And what do people think about the promise RAID System that uses for 8 TB spinning hard drives? Is it really 32 TB of storage? If not, how much storage? will the hard drives fail?
I was thinking of using a second SSD internal with the promise raid system, eventually back and all that up as well with thunderbolt when prices drop?

By Promise, I mean this which is sold at the Apple Store online

Pegasus R4i
RAID STORAGE MPX MODULE FOR MAC PRO
  • Elegant and rugged chassis designed uniquely to ft into Mac Pro’s MPX slots
  • Plug & Play with built in driver in macOS
  • Four swappable modules with 8TB 7200rpm SATA HDDs pre-formatted and pre-installed
  • Best-in-class Pegasus hardware RAID an optimal combination of capacity, redundancy and performance with up to 680 MB/s in RAID5
  • Promise Pegasus Utility for simple-to-use but powerful storage management and monitoring
Any thoughts on configurations and best systems to use for data storage would be appreciated. Thank you.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
For audio I'm going 4TB stock and will eventually go the Sonnet Fusion and 4 x Samsung NVMe blades whilst using the Pegasus J2i for internal backup. I wonder if we can get an 2.5" SSD into the second slot of the J2i?
Also when Apple releases the 8TB internal blade option I am hoping we can swap them out for the stock blades easy enough...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.