Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
The consensus from the tech community is they are confused by it… as in what is it attempting to solve? And I think it’s to solve our reliance on smartphones.

The fact that they mention no apps will be available for it, which is the basis of having a smartphone. I think the device is interesting, but I believe they are fighting a losing battle going up against a smartphone. Now, if the device is capable of syncing up with a iPhone or Android... then I can see it being successful.

But as a standalone product… I doubt it succeeds.

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The consensus from the tech community is they are confused by it… as in what is it attempting to solve? And I think it’s to solve our reliance on smartphones.

The fact that they mention no apps will be available for it, which is the basis of having a smartphone. I think the device is interesting, but I believe they are fighting a losing battle going up against a smartphone. Now, if the device is capable of syncing up with a iPhone or Android... then I can see it being successful.

yeah not sure what the use case is for this product? Then it cost $700 with a $24 monthly subscription.
Agree with you that it will not replace a smartphone :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
yeah not sure what the use case is for this product? Then it cost $700 with a $24 monthly subscription.
Agree with you that it will not replace a smartphone :)
The product reminds me of that movie Her.. which I do think that this will be future down the road, especially with major players (Samsung, Google and Apple) focusing on AI. I think Humane is trying to get ahead of the curve, but they would have better reach with an Android OEM in an effort to get it paired with a phone.

Because I highly doubt Apple will give them system level access to iOS. Who knows… Apple might attempt to buy the company.

Reactions: jamezr

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
It's idiotic and ignorant of human physiology, psychology and evolution.

We have evolved to hold things in our hands, read objects like books, tablets and phones in our hands, and then put tools aside to do other things.

This behavior is set in stone just like walking, because it is who and what we are. The most successful devices we use are based on this behaviors. An iPhone or an iPad isn't new in this sense. They are modern versions of the clay tablets people used thousands of years ago.

Segway thought they could get rid of walking and there was so much Segway hype. They barely exist in anyone's conscious today.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
It's idiotic and ignorant of human physiology, psychology and evolution.

We have evolved to hold things in our hands, read objects like books, tablets and phones in our hands, and then put tools aside to do other things.

This behavior is set in stone just like walking, because it is who and what we are. The most successful devices we use are based on this behaviors. An iPhone or an iPad isn't new in this sense. They are modern versions of the clay tablets people used thousands of years ago.

Segway thought they could get rid of walking and there was so much Segway hype. They barely exist in anyone's conscious today.
While I do think the product is kind of pointless and won't take off, I just wanted to point out that we also evolved to talk to things and evolved that ability before we could write and read.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
While I do think the product is kind of pointless and won't take off, I just wanted to point out that we also evolved to talk to things and evolved that ability before we could write and read.

Vocabulary was much more limited before writing. We can see this today in underdeveloped and still primitive socieities. It was the desire to express oneself much more deeply in writing that increased the number of adjectives and verbs we use, and they are still expanding.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The ui projector is a clever idea, but what if the user….
  1. Lives in a variable climate and needs to add/shed layers of clothing through the day? Seems like a faff. Pinning/unpinning, messing around with magnetic power packs, or just forgetting and leaving it behind in some discarded item of clothing.
  2. Lives in an urban environment where it‘s prominence would scream “steal me”.
It feels like it was designed in a bubble.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ROFLMAO ... I just can't, nope nuh-uh.
Wasn't this just a Tamagotchi version in lapel form that SNapChat tried with their Glasses a few years back?

Honestly I would've gone with a Buck Roger's theme with DR Themopolis and attach a gold chain and hire Flavor-Flav to intro the product. It would've increase the nostalgia and comedy level's up and lame down a few notches - at least initially.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
It’s a solution with no problem. Theyre acting like it’s some revolutionary device but it’s essentially just chatGPT hooked up to a projector. Its not the future, its a parlor trick.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
This is a paid data harvesting device, nothing less. The smoke and mirrors about Human-Computer Interface are a ploy to obfuscate that fact. I remain hopeful that apple would implement on-device LLM processing but in seeing the rest of the implementations, we are simply quickening the direct broadcast of all our data to siren servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.