Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I don't think this particular tablet will be able to sustain these sales figures much past the 2-3 month mark. Although I do think it will be an Android best seller.

I'm with you there.
It's not at all the 7" tablet I want, but an Android tablet worth checking out ... yes!

NovaRev

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Nope. Different product categories. The iPad is not a tweener, it is the largest multi-touch device Apple makes. Don't confuse it with point and click devices. A Mini is a tweener as it's sandwiched in between an iPad and an iPhone.

The entire product category of tablets is a "tweener" category; the iPad is a "tweener" device. It is a device that is designed to fit in-between a smartphone and a laptop, and as a result it sacrifices the major strengths of both of those product categories: the portability of smartphones and the power of laptops.

Let's face it, tablets are toys. The iPad is a toy. If you have a smartphone and a laptop a tablet is largely unnecessary. Yes, their larger screens make them more comfortable than a phone and yes, you can do a little bit of work on them. But in the grand scheme of things, tablets/iPads make vast sacrifices of both power and portability without proving to be unambiguously useful in ways that cannot be matched by a phone or laptop. In other words, they've yet to prove that a tablet is a necessary device. But are tablets fun? Certainly. Toys are lots of fun.

Far too often I find myself having to put down my iPad and go use a real computer because I've run into something that I simply cannot accomplish on a tablet. Don't get me wrong--I love my iPad (and the Nexus 7 too). But it is a device that I need the way I need my smartphone and laptop? The answer is a very clear "no."

And while I'm sure that there are people who have found a "need" for their iPad in the way smartphones/laptops serve very clear "needs," I suspect that the vast majority of buyers regard the iPad as a fun toy that fits between their phone and laptop but certainly won't replace either device.

So let's not pretend that iPads are anything but "tweeners," because tablets as an entire product category are the very definition of "tweeners."

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
And while I'm sure that there are people who have found a "need" for their iPad in the way smartphones/laptops serve very clear "needs," I suspect that the vast majority of buyers regard the iPad as a fun toy that fits between their phone and laptop but certainly won't replace either device.

Well... On the one hand, even for those who have specific needs that are served by the iPad, I doubt it replaces their laptop or phone. Then on the other hand, there are a whole category of users who never needed a laptop in the first place. Like my aunt and uncle, who are now using iPads to surf the web and FaceTime with their grandson, but whose laptop sat for years on their desk, covered with dust.

Personally, the iPad isn't a device I absolutely need, but it's the device I like the most and use the most. And I don't think it's a toy -- or if it is, then the smartphone is also a toy. At least, for the way I use them, my iPhone and iPad usage are so similar, there's no reason why they should be placed in different usage categories. In fact, the iPad is a bit more useful to me than my iPhone, because it is large enough for me to actually get some writing/editing done on it. I use both iPad and iPhone about equally for texting, and for calendar/todo/other PDA duties. Yes, I need my computer for longer documents and excel, but just because the iPad/iPhone is for lighter work, they are still work tools for me -- so I hesitate to call them toys.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
The entire product category of tablets is a "tweener" category; the iPad is a "tweener" device. It is a device that is designed to fit in-between a smartphone and a laptop, and as a result it sacrifices the major strengths of both of those product categories: the portability of smartphones and the power of laptops.

Let's face it, tablets are toys. The iPad is a toy. If you have a smartphone and a laptop a tablet is largely unnecessary. Yes, their larger screens make them more comfortable than a phone and yes, you can do a little bit of work on them. But in the grand scheme of things, tablets/iPads make vast sacrifices of both power and portability without proving to be unambiguously useful in ways that cannot be matched by a phone or laptop. In other words, they've yet to prove that a tablet is a necessary device. But are tablets fun? Certainly. Toys are lots of fun.

Far too often I find myself having to put down my iPad and go use a real computer because I've run into something that I simply cannot accomplish on a tablet. Don't get me wrong--I love my iPad (and the Nexus 7 too). But it is a device that I need the way I need my smartphone and laptop? The answer is a very clear "no."

So let's not pretend that iPads are anything but "tweeners," because tablets as an entire product category are the very definition of "tweeners."

It's not an in between device: it's in a category of its own.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

Great post -- although I think you've been a bit broad in you're categorizing of "tweeners'.

I just settled on a 11" Air that absolutely kills my iPad in terms of a productivity device ... with about the same degree of portability.

I'm hoping for a 7.85 iPad to bridge the gap between the Air, and the iPhone that I don't want (which is filled just fine by the dumb phone that works for me).

Somewhere between compact laptop, and dumb phone, is a solution that works for everyone -- although the same solution may not work for everyone ...

Edit - The same solution may not work for everyone, of course means that a variety of solutions should be offered in this area.

Last edited:

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
This.

Jobs is right. Check out my comparison photos of what content looks like on the iPhone 4S compared to the Nexus Sexus. My smartphone does everything better than it: the Sexus has little reason to exist.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv116/freudling/Suck It/

Dude really? Just stop. "sexus" is the best you can come up with? Is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Also, your gallery is hideous. It serves no purpose. What was your point in posting it again?

Lastly, why do you care if someone else enjoys a product? Does it affect you directly in any way? You don't have to have anything to do with it if you don't want to. I just don't understand your hatred. Surely you have better things to get worked up about?

"suck it"? Really, man?

NovaRev

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Personally, the iPad isn't a device I absolutely need, but it's the device I like the most and use the most. And I don't think it's a toy -- or if it is, then the smartphone is also a toy. At least, for the way I use them, my iPhone and iPad usage are so similar, there's no reason why they should be placed in different usage categories. In fact, the iPad is a bit more useful to me than my iPhone, because it is large enough for me to actually get some writing/editing done on it. I use both iPad and iPhone about equally for texting, and for calendar/todo/other PDA duties. Yes, I need my computer for longer documents and excel, but just because the iPad/iPhone is for lighter work, they are still work tools for me -- so I hesitate to call them toys.

Well, think of it this way: between your iPhone and your iPad, which one could you afford to forget at home and feel OK about it? Certainly you can use an iPad as a work tool in the same way you use your iPhone (and I agree that an iPad is definitely a more comfortable experience in that respect), but which device would you say is indispensable to you?

Maybe the answer for you is the iPad, and I can certainly see why. But for me it's definitely the phone. If there's something I can't accomplish on my phone, I'm not going to be able to accomplish it on the iPad either--I'll have to wait until I can get to my computer.

That's what makes an iPad more of a toy to me. While it provides a better experience than a phone, its benefits are not great enough that it's indispensable to me. It's something that excels at the entertainment aspects that I used to rely solely on my phone for (watching videos, browsing the web, etc.) and that makes it a very fun device to use, but it's not something I need.

----------

It's not an in between device: it's in a category of its own.

Yes, it is in a category of its own...a category that is fundamentally defined by the fact that it is a "tweener" category between phones and laptops.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
One thing I like about the Nexus tablet is it has NFC. I can't tell you how convenient it is to be able to tap my phone to my tablet and beam something over to it. It's so quick and easy to do.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Well, think of it this way: between your iPhone and your iPad, which one could you afford to forget at home and feel OK about it? Certainly you can use an iPad as a work tool in the same way you use your iPhone (and I agree that an iPad is definitely a more comfortable experience in that respect), but which device would you say is indispensable to you?

Maybe the answer for you is the iPad, and I can certainly see why. But for me it's definitely the phone. If there's something I can't accomplish on my phone, I'm not going to be able to accomplish it on the iPad either--I'll have to wait until I can get to my computer.

That's what makes an iPad more of a toy to me. While it provides a better experience than a phone, its benefits are not great enough that it's indispensable to me. It's something that excels at the entertainment aspects that I used to rely solely on my phone for (watching videos, browsing the web, etc.) and that makes it a very fun device to use, but it's not something I need.

----------

Yes, it is in a category of its own...a category that is fundamentally defined by the fact that it is a "tweener" category between phones and laptops.

It's not in between two devices in the same category: it's not a 9.7" laptop with a 3.5" laptop and an 11" laptop and... it's not supposed to be like a laptop or replace a laptop. Apples and oranges.

----------

Dude really? Just stop. "sexus" is the best you can come up with? Is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Also, your gallery is hideous. It serves no purpose. What was your point in posting it again?

Lastly, why do you care if someone else enjoys a product? Does it affect you directly in any way? You don't have to have anything to do with it if you don't want to. I just don't understand your hatred. Surely you have better things to get worked up about?

"suck it"? Really, man?

Dude...

First Sexus: because it sounds funny.

Second, your gallery is hideous. It serves no purpose. What was your point in posting it again?

This statement has as much value as the following:

a;dklfja;slkdfja;ldfkjasd;lfkjad;fslkj

In other words, it's baseless with zero qualification: it's based on nothing. The point is to show how Websites, full blown Websites, look on the Sexus compared to the iPhone. And as can be seen, full blown Websites look better on the iPhone because:

1. In some cases the text is rendered LARGER;
2. The Retina display
3. There are several mobile sites specifically formatted for smartphones but not for Tweeners, which makes the Web a "less pinch and zoom affair".
4. The text is grainy on the Sexus.

The point of this is to show that surfing the Web on the Sexus isn't better than the iPhone. And because of this, it's not offering anything over the smartphone in this regard except more compromises: you can't both hold it with one hand and use it at the same time like a smartphone.

And there is no hatred. I think the device sucks. I don't care if other people like it. What I won't stand for is trolls: people, like on here, who claim to own a device with evidence that they don't. They just troll. Delusional, incredulous people who will stop at nothing to spread their delusions. People who ignore reality and live in a state of delusion.

If you own the Sexus, truly own it, then chime in. If you don't, you probably have no business vehemently arguing with people about this matter.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Dude...

First Sexus: because it sounds funny.

Second, your gallery is hideous. It serves no purpose. What was your point in posting it again?

This statement has as much value as the following:

a;dklfja;slkdfja;ldfkjasd;lfkjad;fslkj

In other words, it's baseless with zero qualification: it's based on nothing. The point is to show how Websites, full blown Websites, look on the Sexus compared to the iPhone. And as can be seen, full blown Websites look better on the iPhone because:

1. In some cases the text is rendered LARGER;
2. The Retina display
3. There are several mobile sites specifically formatted for smartphones but not for Tweeners, which makes the Web a "less pinch and zoom affair".
4. The text is grainy on the Sexus.

The point of this is to show that surfing the Web on the Sexus isn't better than the iPhone. And because of this, it's not offering anything over the smartphone in this regard except more compromises: you can't both hold it with one hand and use it at the same time like a smartphone.

And there is no hatred. I think the device sucks. I don't care if other people like it. What I won't stand for is trolls: people, like on here, who claim to own a device with evidence that they don't. They just troll. Delusional, incredulous people who will stop at nothing to spread their delusions. People who ignore reality and live in a state of delusion.

If you own the Sexus, truly own it, then chime in. If you don't, you probably have no business vehemently arguing with people about this matter.

I'm all for a well balanced, non biased argument, but your posts just lost all credibility once you started calling it a 'Sexus'. I'm not sure if you realize it, but that makes you sound like a rather unintelligent fellow, even though I'm sure you are not unintelligent.

I am viewing desktop websites on mine and they appear just fine. Of course mobile websites don't look good on it, those were designed for smaller displays. Text appears perfectly clear, no blurryness or grainy text either.

FWIW I can't stand viewing the same desktop websites on my iPhone, it's way too small to be usable.

NovaRev

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
It's not in between two devices in the same category: it's not a 9.7" laptop with a 3.5" laptop and an 11" laptop and... it's not supposed to be like a laptop or replace a laptop. Apples and oranges.

By you very own definition here a 7" tablet cannot be called a tweener; a smartphone is a different category of device, and therefore a 7" tablet is not in-between two devices in the same category.

But this is splitting hairs and you're avoiding my point: the entire product category of tablets--regardless of their size--is a category of "tweeners" sitting between phones and laptops. The iPad, by its very nature as a tablet, is a tweener.

EDIT: And it comes with all of the drawbacks that "tweener" implies, that you're using to dismiss the Nexus 7 as a "waste." A tablet like an iPad is a compromise device between a smartphone and a laptop that sacrifices the major benefits of both devices without making a truly compelling case that it does something irrefutably better than either form factor to the point that it is necessary for it to exist.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Maybe the answer for you is the iPad,

Actually, it is. I don't really need a phone, I just got one because my work offered to pay for it, but before that, I was perfectly content with an iPod touch. The pocketability of iPhone / iPod touch is extremely convenient, but if I could only have one, I think I'd definitely go with the iPad -- as long as it was the one with the cellular connection, that is! Oh, and maybe that's another difference? I've always gotten my iPads with cellular connection, and it is the first always-connected to Internet device I owned. So that's why it's always been more than a toy to me. Where my laptop and iPod touch were both dead to the world while on the go, the iPad was always connected. To me, the iPhone is more a smaller iPad, than the other way around.

That's one way of looking at it, and that is how Steve Jobs described it when introducing the first iPad, but you could also look at it as, well, there are two categories of devices, and one is laptops, and one is multi-touch tablets (iPhones are just mini tablets). And within each category, there are various sizes. Like, let's say somebody came out with a 12 inch tablet. You wouldn't all of a sudden think that the 11 inch Air is a tweener between the 12 inch tablet and the current iPad, would you? Or let's include the various desktop models in the discussion. Is the 13 inch MacBook a tweener between the iMac and the iPad? No, I don't think this kind of thinking makes much sense, even though Jobs used it when introducing the iPad. It was a useful way to explain the iPad to a world that had never seen one before, but now that we've had them for a few years, I think it's time we stopped thinking of tablets as in between laptops and phones. IMO, we now have desktops, laptops and multitouch devices (smartphones + tablets), and each category has its own distinct advantages and uses.

JoJo Zzang

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I'm wondering the same. I don't understand the recent trend where people review, ask for suggestions and so on, abour non Apple devices on something called macrumors. Some non Apple products are great, but I don't see why they need to be discussed REGULARLY here.

You are in "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices. :roll eyes:

Don't want to read... Don't click. :cool:

NovaRev

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Actually, it is. I don't really need a phone, I just got one because my work offered to pay for it, but before that, I was perfectly content with an iPod touch. The pocketability of iPhone / iPod touch is extremely convenient, but if I could only have one, I think I'd definitely go with the iPad -- as long as it was the one with the cellular connection, that is! Oh, and maybe that's another difference? I've always gotten my iPads with cellular connection, and it is the first always-connected to Internet device I owned. So that's why it's always been more than a toy to me. Where my laptop and iPod touch were both dead to the world while on the go, the iPad was always connected. To me, the iPhone is more a smaller iPad, than the other way around.

That's certainly valid, and I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar--perhaps ditch the smartphone for a dumb phone and carry a cell-connected tablet instead. I know that this is a setup that works nicely for some people.

For me personally though, I don't think I could make it work. My situation is kind of the opposite of your's :p A smartphone was my first always-connected device and always-connected iPads didn't come around until years later.

Here's why I don't think it would work for me. I'm accustomed to having that always-connected device fit in my pocket, since before the original iPhone was even a thing. We bring these highly personal devices into our lives and they become parts of us, like watches, eye glasses, etc. So in this way my phone is almost inextricably linked to me.

So I love the idea of getting my smartphone experience on a larger screen and ditching the smartphone for a dumb phone, but here's the problem. I can't shove an iPad in my pocket. In fact, the size of it really necessitates a small backpack, bag, briefcase, etc. to transport it.

I simply cannot carry something like that 100% of the time the way my smartphone is with me 100% of the time. And I know I'd end up feeling naked if I went out with the dumb phone and left the always-connected tablet at home.

So personally I think I disagree that smartphones and tablets can be folded into the same category. Yes, they share multitouch as their input method and yes they share similar features and uses, but the smartphone is a device from a different league. It's a proven, powerful, stand-alone personal pocket computer and communicator that's always in my pocket.

From this perspective you can see how the iPad becomes a fairly superfluous device. From your perspective, would it be fair to say that your iPhone is that superfluous device rather than the iPad?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You are in "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices. :roll eyes:

Don't want to read... Don't click. :cool:

Actually, that post was probably made before this thread was moved to this section.

From this perspective you can see how the iPad becomes a fairly superfluous device. From your perspective, would it be fair to say that your iPhone is that superfluous device rather than the iPad?

Since I got my iPhone, I do sometimes just leave my iPad home and just carry my iPhone, as it is nice to walk out with nothing to carry and have everything in my pocket. But if I could just have one, I'll pick the iPad, because I couldn't do without the iPad's large screen. I would rather live with the inconvenience of having to always carry a bag. I really only use the iPhone when I'm outside the house, or doing the laundry. On trains and buses, depending on my mood, I can use either the iPhone or the iPad. Otherwise, I'm mostly on my iPad, and it almost never leaves my hand 24/7.

Funny thing, but I never lined up to get anything, ever, but I lined up to get the iPad. For years, I'd be using a heavy laptop on the sofa or in bed, wishing there were some way to detach the keyboard and just have the screen. Then the iPhone and iPod touch came out, and they were very nice but the screen was just too small. Oh, and I'd tried some of the early Windows Mobile devices before the Palm and Blackberry smartphones came out, but they were too small and not all that powerful. When I got my first iPod touch, I said to myself, wow, here's a REAL computer, in the palm of my hand. Now if only it were just a little bigger. I think I was hoping for something around 5-7 inches. :p Apple over-delivered and came out with a 9.7 inch screen. So the iPad is the computer I've been waiting for for many, many years, at least as far back as when I got my first laptop. For me, it's not in between any other things, it's the best device I have. Sure, there are some things that still can't be done on the iPad, so if I fell into dire financial straits and could have only one computing device, then that one device may have to be a MacBook Air. But the iPad is definitely the device that makes me the most happy, and out of all my devices, the one I use the most.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It will be interesting to see what the sales figures on this. Though I suppose google could pull an amazon and not release any figures. Will also be interesting to see how Amazon responds. From every review I've seen the Nexus 7 is a superior device to the Kindle Fire. For people wanting a low end tablet what's the appeal of the Fire now? I suppose they can reduce the price even further but then they'll really be losing money on the device. At what point does that no longer make business sense?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
^^^ I don't think sales figures are needed to see how popular the Nexus is. I think like the Kindle Fire, Google has a nice tablet and people are going for it. you get a great tablet for a low price.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I'm wondering the same. I don't understand the recent trend where people review, ask for suggestions and so on, abour non Apple devices on something called macrumors. Some non Apple products are great, but I don't see why they need to be discussed REGULARLY here.

I would submit that if you prefer to keep blinders on about "the others", that's your choice. It hinders your objectivity. I know that's precisely what Steve Jobs wants you to do and I respect your dedication to your lord. But the reality is that you cannot be unbiased without seeing all sides of the spectrum.

I never would have gotten off of the BlackBerry platform if I didn't take a leap of faith with Android.

I gave iPhone/iPod/iPad a try, found them way too limiting and oversimplified. Windows Mobile was powerful but too clunky. BlackBerry is a workhorse but not enough flexibility and personal control. Android Froyo was a childish OS at best. Gingerbread was a step in the right direction, and Ice Cream Sandwich is on the border.

You never really understand what you need until you at least expose yourself to all that's out there. I constantly see people say "who cares about widgets!!!" yet those same people have never even used good widgets to understand why they're valuable. Those same people may very well get a kick out of Siri lamenting Steve Jobs' death; who knows.

The TRUE workhorses will try other platforms to find what works best for them.

That is the value of this thread. If you don't like it stay out of it. Fair?

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I'm all for a well balanced, non biased argument, but your posts just lost all credibility once you started calling it a 'Sexus'. I'm not sure if you realize it, but that makes you sound like a rather unintelligent fellow, even though I'm sure you are not unintelligent.

I am viewing desktop websites on mine and they appear just fine. Of course mobile websites don't look good on it, those were designed for smaller displays. Text appears perfectly clear, no blurryness or grainy text either.

FWIW I can't stand viewing the same desktop websites on my iPhone, it's way too small to be usable.

You just lost all credibility.

----------

By you very own definition here a 7" tablet cannot be called a tweener; a smartphone is a different category of device, and therefore a 7" tablet is not in-between two devices in the same category.

But this is splitting hairs and you're avoiding my point: the entire product category of tablets--regardless of their size--is a category of "tweeners" sitting between phones and laptops. The iPad, by its very nature as a tablet, is a tweener.

EDIT: And it comes with all of the drawbacks that "tweener" implies, that you're using to dismiss the Nexus 7 as a "waste." A tablet like an iPad is a compromise device between a smartphone and a laptop that sacrifices the major benefits of both devices without making a truly compelling case that it does something irrefutably better than either form factor to the point that it is necessary for it to exist.

They are all the same category: multi-touch devices.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm stuck on a do I/don't I buy the Nexus 7.

I do think the best Android experiences are had on Nexus devices and can't say I've had a nexus I haven't liked. The fact we own a Transformer Prime puts me off of the purchase a little.

I doing mind the 7 inch form factor at all (used to own the original Galaxy Tab) and think it'd be a perfect bedtime companion as I do find the Prime and iPad a little too large for bedtime reading/browsing and video watching.

Once the 16gb versions are readily available I'll see what I do. 8gb just won't cut it.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I see. I was hoping that you weren't just another anti-this, anti-that troll, but it appears that you are. Not replying to my points does not make you correct.

No I am not a troll. It is you that trolls like the others. I've posted nothing but objective stuff.

1. I actually own the Nexus 7, unlike many others here.
2. I've actually done usability testing.
3. I've posted comparisons of the Nexus 7 online next to the iPhone.

Most other people? Handwaving and name calling.

----------

I'm stuck on a do I/don't I buy the Nexus 7.

I do think the best Android experiences are had on Nexus devices and can't say I've had a nexus I haven't liked. The fact we own a Transformer Prime puts me off of the purchase a little.

I doing mind the 7 inch form factor at all (used to own the original Galaxy Tab) and think it'd be a perfect bedtime companion as I do find the Prime and iPad a little too large for bedtime reading/browsing and video watching.

Once the 16gb versions are readily available I'll see what I do. 8gb just won't cut it.

Buy the Galaxy SIII if you're really wanting to go down this Android road thing. My advice is that the Sexus is a waste. But it's up to you. Go and try one for a good 15 minutes and see what you think.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
No I am not a troll. It is you that trolls like the others. I've posted nothing but objective stuff.

1. I actually own the Nexus 7, unlike many others here.
2. I've actually done usability testing.
3. I've posted comparisons of the Nexus 7 online next to the iPhone.

Most other people? Handwaving and name calling.

1. and 2. are both true in my case. I can post pictures if you like. How exactly does that make me a troll? By stating my opinion, backed with several hours' of experience with the Nexus 7, that the iPhone is an inferior device?

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
1. and 2. are both true in my case. I can post pictures if you like. How exactly does that make me a troll? By stating my opinion, backed with several hours' of experience with the Nexus 7, that the iPhone is an inferior device?

Right, and how does me doing the same in addition to doing more make me a troll?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.