Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoTAM

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
So here’s something I haven’t had any luck with DuckDuckGo or Google and wondering if there’s a Thread Guru who can answer it:

I finally added a HomePod mini yesterday so I could take advantage of Thread devices like my Eve Weather, and wemo Smart Plug which are the newer thread-enabled versions.

So the first time I powered it on it became the Connected hub and my two Apple TV 4Ks (non-thread 2017 models) became the Standby Hubs. This made sense as the HomePod is pretty central to the devices and actually in the same room as the wemo Smart Plug.

But then today after restarting the devices in various orders (after a power outage) the HomePod mini never gets ’chosen’ and is always a Standby hub. Either one of the Apple TV 4Ks always becomes the Connected hub.

So my question is … does this really matter? I know a standby hub does the job of being a Bluetooth repeater, but when it’s the only Thread Border-Router and is always in standby could that be why the Eve app shows Thread is disabled and both the Eve Weather and wemo Smart Plug are only using standard Bluetooth? Or in a couple of days will the Thread mesh network magically appear?

Edit: Found a similar question in another thread (no pun intended 😋) over here so apologies for the unintended double post.. Long story short, no it doesn't matter: HomePod mini for some reason needed a hard reset and then magically everything switched to Thread transport, even while mini is just the Standby hub.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.