Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I updated many of my bulbs to nanoleaf bulbs years ago and bought lots of other thread items as they came out. I just wanted reliability on my HomeKit setup… now after years of updates my Wi-Fi HomeKit network is rock solid… thread however is a mess. “Self healing” is a joke. Even when HomeKit randomly switches the homehub thread devices frequently get screwed up and don’t work until the hub is reset. I have 2 Apple TVs and 5 HomePods so the hub jumps around a lot. It’s insane to me that apple doesn’t just let ya pick one. I wish everything just worked 100% all the time like lutron devices do. Their tech is gold.

Reactions: Itinj24 and erihp

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Us Zwave guys knew Thread was nonsense from the beginning. Matter too! There is zero compelling reason to use these newfangled technologies.

Lutrons tech does work well. Unfortunately it is proprietary and not licensed so it could be more ubiquitous. That said I am happy with the Caseta gear I have integrated with Homebridge. Especially the Pico remotes (if you can find them cheap), they are a great option for remote scene and switch control.

Reactions: TroyJam and Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ve tried to steer clear of Thread devices after seeing a lot of complaints online. Very happy with Zigbee products. I don’t mind buying a proprietary hub for the price of admission, as long as it’s fast and reliable. Hue and Aqara to name a couple. Got one Eve Energy with Thread for kicks and giggles. It was bad at first with staying connected but improved over time.

Just got my first Matter devices this past holiday season. Three Nanoleaf string lights. Every day, at least one of the three would drop from HomeKit. Awful. Went with Nanoleaf for the price, customization ability and scene syncing with HomeKit. In hindsight, should’ve stuck with the Hue version.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Totally agree about Thread. Not only are my Zigbee devices far more reliable than their Thread counterparts - they are far more energy efficient, too. I have some Thread Motion and Light sensors and they consume way way more battery power compared to Zigbee devices.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I have to agree with everyone Thread and Matter is a complete joke. I would steer completely away from it. I know it's tempting b/c it's promoted and touted to solve all smart home problems. Truth is its doesn't, it's just the opposite.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
+1 for me too. My new Nanoleaf bulbs are getting "No Response" errors almost daily. Everything else in my HomeKit works well. I find the Lutron-based devices the most reliable.

Last edited:

Markakett

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
I agree, today my Eve outdoor and inside temperature sensors were not updating. Checked the Eve app and no thread network showing. Checked the home app and saw my ATV HD was the connected device. I have a HomePod mini and an ATV 4K but no, it decides to use the one non thread device as a hub. Unplugged it to force one of the other devices to connect and all issues resolved. Frustrating we can’t select a default hub…..

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
My Leviton and wemo devices seem to be working perfectly since the 17.3 update. I want to add some nanoleaf bulbs but maybe there is a better option?

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
No issues anymore with 17.3 update. All Matter/Thread devices work perfectly fine and switch instantly. I‘m only hoping for more automatisation options in Home App with Shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.