Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
My iPhone has three problems: 1. It crashes. They are mini-crashes usually, where it abruptly stops working and closes the open app, as if I had pressed the home button. This could be a mechanical problem with the home button, because it happens in all the apps if I use them long enough.

2. Sometimes a webpage displays, but the buttons ABSOLUTELY don't work. Nothing highlights if I hold my finger on it (as is normal) and nothing clicks. The browser buttons work, just not hyperlinks, and boxes won't accept text - as if the whole page was just an image.

3. Sometimes it thinks the headset is plugged in, and mutes its speaker accordingly, but the headset isn't plugged in.

Anyone else experience these things? Any specific suggestions? Any general suggestions? Thanks.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
1. Happens to me a few times daily... Just a common bug.
2. Happens a few times a week, restart the phone and it will work.
3. That has happened to me twice. The first time, I fixed it by restoring. The next time, I just plugged in the headphones and took them out a few times.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008

#2 Is really the most obnoxious, because it happens pretty often, at least on my phone and the pages I visit. Rebooting the phone works, but I wish there was an easier way. Reloading never works, opening a new browser window never works, and closing all but one browser window never works. Surfing other sites for two or three minutes often works, but is no guarantee. I wish I could restart JUST Safari. Google Calendar has this problem SO often that I just use the calendar app on the phone and transplant later at home.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007

You could also force quit safari by holding the home button in safari for about 8 seconds. The home screen should come up with no transition. Just restart safari and continue browsing. Safari usually remembers your last page. this ALWAYS works for me. No need to restart!

maxxscholten

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
If you haven't tried a restore and that hasn't fixed these, I'd take it in to an Apple store and they'll probably replace it. My phone had been doing those "mini crashes" a few times daily and it would just freeze up sometimes once a day and I would have to do a hard reset to get it back.

It was getting really annoying so I took it to an Apple store and they just replaced it and I've had no trouble since.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
never really have #1 and never had #2, but #3 can be fixed by plugging headphones in and out several times, as the iphone thinks they are in there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.