Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TerryJoyce

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So I was out shopping yesterday and I went into a Three store to find out about the MyFi device they have and the woman that served me said that if I waited a few more days before buying it would be a good idea. This is cause she said that some new contracts were coming out that would bring MyWi nearer the iPad 3G contracts. Not sure if this is legit but she would of had a purchase yesterday if she had not said it.

Thoughts?

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
So I was out shopping yesterday and I went into a Three store to find out about the MyFi device they have and the woman that served me said that if I waited a few more days before buying it would be a good idea. This is cause she said that some new contracts were coming out that would bring MyWi nearer the iPad 3G contracts. Not sure if this is legit but she would of had a purchase yesterday if she had not said it.

Thoughts?

Sounds like they are introducing new plans for the Mifi device they have that is cheaper than what they have right now.

TerryJoyce

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Just thinking that if they do it will make it more cost effective to have a WiFi iPad and the MyWi device. Was quite sad when they said the MyWi topup's expire 1 month after activation.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I think if we've learned anything from the recent 3 discussions on here, it's that a race to the bottom on price is all that network has to offer. In a race to the top on service, they'd come a poor last.

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
Just thinking that if they do it will make it more cost effective to have a WiFi iPad and the MyWi device. Was quite sad when they said the MyWi topup's expire 1 month after activation.

You might find it better to buy a 3 Simcard off eBay, they are filled with 12GB of Data which you can stick into a phone/Mifi device and last for upto 12 months or until you use up all of the Data.

It works out to less than £3 a month, alot better than paying for an iPad/Mifi Plan.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
Lets not confuse the two.

MyWi is an app for jailbroken iPhones to share 3g.

MiFi is a standalone mobile hotspot device.

focalplane

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007

This is what i have done. I bought the MiFi about a month ago with 3GB (PAYG) and it works great. Although im panicking as i have only used about 400MB and only have just over a month left, so 1GB on PAYG when i need it will be more than enough, but its handy to know i can connect my laptop too, not to mention its a lot less than the difference between a WiFI only and a 3G iPad

ginguar

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
This is what i have done. I bought the MiFi about a month ago with 3GB (PAYG) and it works great. Although im panicking as i have only used about 400MB and only have just over a month left, so 1GB on PAYG when i need it will be more than enough, but its handy to know i can connect my laptop too, not to mention its a lot less than the difference between a WiFI only and a 3G iPad

I got the mifi too with pay as you go and it was working a treat on the drive from Portsmouth to London last night and as you said it'll also work with my MBP and iPhone if I'm in a weak O2 area.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Please understand that MiFi and MiWi are two different things. So confusing seeing everyone using either name for the same thing.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
It makes more sense that they would do the deals closer to the iPad contract offers they are doing now. If they did weekly plans for the 3G I'd be more interested.

macgeof

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Sheffield:UK
Anybody using miwi on a jailbroken iphone to connect there ipad to the cellular network? How is it?

http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html?feat=y

This technique works a treat using my jail broken iPhone 3G on O2. I don't use it a lot (eg not YouTube or similar) as I don't want to raise my bandwidth usage to silly levels and incur the possible wrath of O2. The major downside is that it chews through the battery really quickly (I'd get say 2 hours at most on a fully charged battery) - that said the battery on my iPhone is not great at holding charge any more so your milage may vary.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
You might find it better to buy a 3 Simcard off eBay, they are filled with 12GB of Data which you can stick into a phone/Mifi device and last for upto 12 months or until you use up all of the Data.

It works out to less than £3 a month, alot better than paying for an iPad/Mifi Plan.

What kind of sim cards? I might try this option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.