Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jt1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have a unique situation here. I work at a movie prop house here in North Hollywood, CA., and sometimes people donate old tech items for us to use as movie props. We just got in a working iPhone 4, and I was able to successfully complete a factory reset and then iOS upgrade to 7.1. However, there is no SIM card tray because it is a Verizon iPhone 4, so the previous owner's phone number is still visible in settings.

My question is, is there a way for me to disable or otherwise mask the phone number from being displayed in settings? The phone number is still an active number belonging to the previous owner, so I don't want to put the phone in our rental stock if the old phone number is still there.

This wasn't a problem with the older iPhone 3G we recently received, as it has a SIM card I was able to remove.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hey everyone,

I have a unique situation here. I work at a movie prop house here in North Hollywood, CA., and sometimes people donate old tech items for us to use as movie props. We just got in a working iPhone 4, and I was able to successfully complete a factory reset and then iOS upgrade to 7.1. However, there is no SIM card tray because it is a Verizon iPhone 4, so the previous owner's phone number is still visible in settings.

My question is, is there a way for me to disable or otherwise mask the phone number from being displayed in settings? The phone number is still an active number belonging to the previous owner, so I don't want to put the phone in our rental stock if the old phone number is still there.

This wasn't a problem with the older iPhone 3G we recently received, as it has a SIM card I was able to remove.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
From what I've found the number is tied to the phone. Even after a complete restore it remains. You might be able to go to Verizon and get them to purge the number from the phone, but it's unlikely. I think it has to have a number

Reactions: jt1968

jt1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
From what I've found the number is tied to the phone. Even after a complete restore it remains. You might be able to go to Verizon and get them to purge the number from the phone, but it's unlikely. I think it has to have a number
OK, thanks for your reply. I'll take it down to Verizon to see if they can either delete the number, or change it to my number (I have Verizon cell service) without actually activating the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.