Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhalbert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I'm heling out a disabled person who's using an inexpensive Thrustmaster USB analog joystick as a mouse on a Mac running Yosemite. The speed of mouse movement is proportional to the distance the stick is from center. He says he is not using any third-party software to have the joystick act as a mouse.

I was surprised by this. I don't have a Mac, but I know that on Windows you need a third-party program, such as joy2mouse, to have the joystick function as a mouse. He said he used to use joy2mouse but no longer does so. Is it true that an analog joystick will simply operate as a mouse on MacOS? Is it automatic or is it some option in the assistive technology settings? If not, do you have some idea of some other third-party software besides joy2mouse that would support this? He may have forgotten something that was installed to help him.

The user is also using KeyStrokes, a third-party predictive on-screen keyboard. However, I don't see anything about joystick support in the doc for that program. Thanks.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm heling out a disabled person who's using an inexpensive Thrustmaster USB analog joystick...
Whoa right there <non-gender specific title>! My Thrustmaster USB analog joystick costs over $1000US, so I'm already doubting the credibility of this story. Keep with me... I'm just trying to be humorous...

...but I know that on Windows you need a third-party program, such as joy2mouse, to have the joystick function as a mouse.
I do not think so... I've programmed DirectX commands directly into software configuration files to have additional functions, but by default the mouse can be selected in windows system console, just as it can be selected in the MacOS.

The user is also using KeyStrokes, a third-party predictive on-screen keyboard. However, I don't see anything about joystick support in the doc for that program. Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know anything about KeyStrokes... and I hope you took all of the previous tongue-in-check.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I'm heling out a disabled person who's using an inexpensive Thrustmaster USB analog joystick as a mouse on a Mac running Yosemite. The speed of mouse movement is proportional to the distance the stick is from center. He says he is not using any third-party software to have the joystick act as a mouse.
This is actually the first time I heard about this, but I found it's a real thing: the feature is called "Switch Control".

And what exactly was the point of this?

Reactions: blesscheese

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
And what exactly was the point of this?
Definition of humor
  1. a normal functioning bodily semifluid or fluid (as the blood or lymph)b : a secretion (as a hormone) that is an excitant of activity

2. a in medieval physiology : a fluid or juice of an animal or plant; specifically : one of the four fluids entering into the constitution of the body and determining by their relative proportions a person's health and temperamentb : characteristic or habitual disposition or bent : temperament <of cheerful humor> c : an often temporary state of mind imposed especially by circumstances <was in no humor to listen> d : a sudden, unpredictable, or unreasoning inclination : whim

3. a : that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

Specifically, #3. ( That was meant literally ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.