Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hey guys! If you are looking for a protective iPad Air 2 case that maintains a reasonably slim profile, you really should check out the Thule Atmos X3 for the Air 2. OK, so it isn't as thin as the Apple Smart Case, but it is quite slim for a protective case and it will give you 6.6 feet of drop protection. What's more, it is very functional and a pleasure to use overall. It really reminds me of the Thule Atmos X3 case for the iPhone 6+, which is probably my favorite iP6+ case--it has the same grippy texture and super-tough feel. Here are a few pics:
Thule Atmos X3 for iPad Air 2: Back Stand View.jpg

Thule Atmos X3 for iPad Air 2: Back Closed View.jpg

Thule Atmos X3 for iPad Air 2: Side Front View.jpg

Thule Atmos X3 for iPad Air 2: Side Stand View.jpg

I also did a YouTube review, if anyone is interested in seeing more. It really is a great case:

http://youtu.be/aD3PZ7H2w6w

Thanks!

Kristin

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for this - I really wanted to get this a month ago but could find very little on it. I think I tried to find it but it wasnt sold many places.

Three issues:

It is a little thick. Trade off to be sure

No magnets is a real bummer. I think how I use mine and it would be a hassle to always remember to hit the sleep button when closing.

ELEVEN DOLLARS TO SHIP, GOD IN HEAVEN ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!!! Their website is cray cray if they think I'm getting into that kind of screwjob. Imagine if you had an issue they didn't accept as defective. You'd be halfway into the device cost to get it resolved with back and forth shipping. Wow that's bad.

Amazon prime has really spoiled me. Oh well. I guess I won't be finding out how cool it is.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Well, hopefully Best Buy will start carrying the iPad Air 2 version of the Atmos X3 case--they do carry the version for the first gen iPad Air. I completely agree with you on the shipping cost front--$11 is ugly.
On the positive front, it really is a great case. I just returned from a trip, and the case was excellent to travel with--very secure and convenient. The stand function worked great on my airplane tray table and the grippy finish kept the case from moving about on the table. I agree that auto sleep wake would be nice, but I'm happy to make the trade off to get the other excellent features of this case.
Good luck!

Kristin

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah I've had one for almost 2 months and I love it. Use it everyday at work. It is really a great case.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Yes, it is really a top notch case. Thule just makes awesome products!

Kristin

DoctorEgypt

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
Egypt
I think the best iPad air 2 case is Otterbox defender

I got an Otterbox defender case and I really love it a lot, I have seen your review but I still find the Otterbox defender to have more protection specially it does close the ports except for the speakers cam and mic.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I got an Otterbox defender case and I really love it a lot, I have seen your review but I still find the Otterbox defender to have more protection specially it does close the ports except for the speakers cam and mic.

That's certainly possible--I don't have any hands-on experience with the defender and the Thule Atmos X3 doesn't provide any port coverage. However, it is just so comfortable to use and elegant (for a protective case) that I think it gets a lot of points for that :)

Kristin

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012

Umm cool. The Atmos blows the Otterbox out of the water. Especially with a glass screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.