Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmystified

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
So this definitely has worked, BUT.....after restarting my machine I'm encountering the same problem again. Wondering if anyone else has experience this?

Reactions: creativesmith

RoadScholar

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Baltimore
Hey there! I don't know if you've found a solution to this yet, but I was just having the same problem and after some troubleshooting, I got my preview icons to work again!

Basically I opened up Activity Monitor, searched for a process called "com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent," forced quit that process, and Relaunched Finder in the Force Quit menu. Worked like a charm.

Don't know if that's helpful for you or anyone else, but just wanted to put that out there!
View attachment 1923709
Can I buy you half a dozen beers? That worked, and the previews are something I desperately need for business, designing and producing high-quality historic millwork. My hat's off my friend.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I've read it all but still it won't work for me. Tried all the above tricks. Nada.
My guess - I moved all my files to Dropbox rather than on my Mac M1. Could this be the reason for all preview icons not showing in the finder?
I use Dropbox and Dropbox Camera Uploads. After trying the fix described above I again have icon thumbnails; even on images in Dropbox. So, for me at least, Dropbox was not the problem.

ohasa

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
Hey there! I don't know if you've found a solution to this yet, but I was just having the same problem and after some troubleshooting, I got my preview icons to work again!

Basically I opened up Activity Monitor, searched for a process called "com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent," forced quit that process, and Relaunched Finder in the Force Quit menu. Worked like a charm.

Don't know if that's helpful for you or anyone else, but just wanted to put that out there!
View attachment 1923709
at this point macrumors should be thanking you for all the new accounts - great work 🙏

MacYeti

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019

View attachment 1923709
Wow! Thanks for that. Worked perfectly. And it was so weird because it was only my PDF files that wouldn't show a preview but everything is working as it should. Thanks again!

tvsp

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
help!! i'm having the same problem but cant find com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent in my activity monitor. any suggestions?

Reactions: maternidad

poeticfolly

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2007
Thank you very much, this worked.

A few months ago I had transferred data from one mac to another, upgraded the operating system as well as using design programs like sketch and photoshop.

Since then I have not been able to preview the thumbnails.
I can't believe this was the solution, thank you so much, I never would have figured it out.
oh man, same. This has been bugging me for so long. THANK YOU!

• Love
Reactions: andrebob

thanksandrebob

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2022

View attachment 1923709
Made an account to say thanks, you're the bee's knees!

marchandeur

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2022

View attachment 1923709
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

bartflanders

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022

View attachment 1923709

also made an account just to upvote this. THANK YOU!

Dennison

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2015
United States

View attachment 1923709
Thank you! Worked like a charm. Ran into this very annoying issue this week on my MBP M1 Max with macOS 12.3 (latest).

TheLawInJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2022

View attachment 1923709

I just joined the group of people who made an account just to thank you.

Thank you!

ouoshiuan

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2022

View attachment 1923709
Thank you so much for sharing!!! So happy that this preview problem won't bothering me anymore T-T)

Thats_Santa

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017

View attachment 1923709
Thank you very much! Nice list, for sure.

murielguitar

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2022
I went to the Activity Monitor, and there was no process called
com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent
Is there another option for MacOS High Sierra?
Or is there a way to install
com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent
Thanks!

mstavros1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022

View attachment 1923709
Count me as one more person who created an account just to say thanks. Really wonderful!

creativesmith

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
So this definitely has worked, BUT.....after restarting my machine I'm encountering the same problem again. Wondering if anyone else has experience this?

Unfortunately, same here. Doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.

Which begs the question: why is it that for each new release, and seemingly as regular as the change of seasons—why are old bugs replaced by new bugs? Yeah, I know—the uncontrolled complexity of the ever-advancing OS. That, and maybe the software engineers have a wicked brand of humor.

wheresnaldo

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022

View attachment 1923709
YOU. ARE. AWESOME. Such an easy fix to a very annoying problem. I, too, jumped in to say thanks and how awesome you are! Now I'm going to go read all your other solutions to problems I don't have yet hahaha.

borre326

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2022

View attachment 1923709
Hi, thank you thank you!! just a little aside, you find the Activity Monitor in Utilities!

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Hi! thanks, this works for me (Monterrey) No more system reboot 🥵

Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-30 a las 8.59.49.png

TomLu

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2022
Beijing, China
I have this problem for long time, i even have a though that my Hard Disk is too old, work not well. I was too lazy to search this on google, till now i found this topic and solved mine. Like the buddy above, i created an account just to say thank you so much.
same here...

• Love
Reactions: andrebob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.