Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
Hello

My Thunderbolt 1 port connection has ceased working on my Mac Mini (late2012) - presumably the Thunderbolt connection stopped working since updating from Sierra OS to High Sierra OS. In the meantime, I have reverted back to El Capitan OS - but still, there is no Thunderbolt connection.
I am connecting to my Mac Mini Thunderbolt port by using an adapter from the Thunderbolt port via an HDMI lead which plugs into the HDMI input on my Panasonic television (I have tried another Thunderbolt adapter but still no connection).
In the meantime, I have contacted Apple tech support but unfortunately, he tried everything but could not come up with a remedy. I have been to numerous websites for help - but still - no go. I have tried everything including adding drivers, etc, etc. - but still no go.

Thunderbolt Bus:
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: Mac mini
UID: 0x0001000D19FF1180
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 23.4
Domain UUID: D40D00BF-1DBB-9051-8178-3B7A0029C290
Port:
Link Status: 0x101
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
Receptacle: 1
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.12.3
As a last resort, I'm thinking of purchasing a powered HDMI splitter.

I would very much appreciate any help from someone who has experienced the same problem
Thank you

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt port on the 2012 Mini can carry either signal and it's much more likely that you were using the Displayport signal, not the Thunderbolt signal. Thunderbolt adapters usually start at $25 and go up from there (and I don't know that a Thunderbolt-HDMI adapter exists), a Mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter typically used for TV's usually go for under $10.

All of that being said, if you haven't done so already, you might want to try resetting the NVRAM and SMC.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Be aware you'll lose some settings typically set through the System Preferences app if you reset the NVRAM.

It appears that you have another monitor connected through the HDMI port. Have you tested the Panasonic through the the HDMI port? What about connecting the other monitor through the Mini-Displayport port? If you haven't already done so, you might want to try connecting just through the Mini-Displayport port without anything connected on the HDMI port. What driver or other software have you installed to try to fix your problem?

EDIT. Was this Panasonic TV was working with the 2012 Mini using the Mini-Displayport-HDMI adapter before the High Sierra install?

Last edited:

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
The Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt port on the 2012 Mini can carry either signal and it's much more likely that you were using the Displayport signal, not the Thunderbolt signal. Thunderbolt adapters usually start at $25 and go up from there (and I don't know that a Thunderbolt-HDMI adapter exists), a Mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter typically used for TV's usually go for under $10.

All of that being said, if you haven't done so already, you might want to try resetting the NVRAM and SMC.

Be aware you'll lose some settings typically set through the System Preferences app if you reset the NVRAM.

It appears that you have another monitor connected through the HDMI port. Have you tested the Panasonic through the the HDMI port? What about connecting the other monitor through the Mini-Displayport port? If you haven't already done so, you might want to try connecting just through the Mini-Displayport port without anything connected on the HDMI port. What driver or other software have you installed to try to fix your problem?

EDIT. Was this Panasonic TV was working with the 2012 Mini using the Mini-Displayport-HDMI adapter before the High Sierra install?

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
Thank you treekram - your reply much appreciated.

I must admit - that I initially bought a cheap /thunderbolt adapter & a cheap 9 foot HDMI to HDMI cable. After connecting the the thunderbolt adapter with the HDMI lead, from my Mac Mini to my television, the connection worked perfectly for ages ! After the problem started, I bought another Mini Display /thunderbolt adapter - but still NO GO. Strangely - after I downloaded & installed OS X High Sierra, the connection stopped working. I have read in numerous forums - that many others are experiencing the same problem. Lately, I have downgraded back to OS X El Capitan (after this was suggested on a forum) but NO GO - I am still experiencing the problem.
I have tried resetting the NVRAM and SMC several times ..... I'll try again.
Yes, I have my computer monitor connected to my Mac Mini's HDMI port.
Yes, I have tested my television through the HDMI port & the connection works successfully.
When I connect my computer monitor just through the Mini-Display port (without anything connected on the HDMI port), the screen is BLACK - THE MONITOR TURNS ITSELF OFF. When I manually try to turn the monitor on again - it turns itself OFF again.
I can't remember what were the name of the 2 x DISPLAY DRIVERS that I tried - anyway, they were unsuccessful in getting the thunderbolt connection to work - so I uninstalled them.

I am now starting to wonder whether I am using the correct Mini Display/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (as you have suggested) ??? even though the first one I tried worked successfully for a time.
As my t.v. successfully works using the HDMI port, I am thinking of purchasing a 'powered' HDMI SPLITTER - in enabling my computer monitor & t.v. to work together - & not bothering with Thunderbolt anymore. Here's the splitter that I'm thinking of buying. In your opinion, do you think this is a good option & will work successfully ?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-10...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Again, thank you for your help & time

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You should stop mentioning Thunderbolt since it doesn't have anything to do with your problem. Again, either a Mini-Displayport and Thunderbolt signal can be sent through the single port but it's the Displayport signal that's being used.

If your Mini-Displayport adapter worked fine before the High Sierra upgrade, it's probably OK.

I'm not familiar with the issues relating to displays and the High Sierra upgrade so what I'm mentioning is in total ignorance of what people have done thus far.

In using my 2012 Mini, when I try to connect my 2560x1440 monitor to the Mini-Displayport port using a cheap Amazon Basics Mini-Displayport-to-HDMI adapter, it doesn't work. All the components (adapter, cable, port, monitor) work on their own (the adapter works with a TV) but not in this specific combination. So my 2012 Mini doesn't like something about this combination (maybe it's the 2560x1440 monitor when the port only supports up to 1920x1080) so it chooses not to display anything. I'm guessing that there is now something (since the High Sierra upgrade) that the Mini does not like so it's choosing not to send a signal even though all the components could be fine on their own. Now you downgraded back to El Capitan, but there was an EFI upgrade that could have been installed as part of the High Sierra upgrade. To find out, you need to run the "System Information" app - you can run Spotlight and type in "system information" or click on the app icon (in Applications/Utilities). In this app, the topmost "Hardware" line should be highlighted on the left - if not click on it. On the right it should say "Hardware Overview" and under "Boot ROM Version" if you had the High Sierra EFI upgrade, it should read "MM61.0106.B12" (this is not correct - see below). If it wasn't applied, the latest version would be "MM61.010B.B00" (as it does on my 2012 Mini with El Capitan which wasn't upgraded to High Sierra. As I said, I don't know if other people are coming to this conclusion but I'm thinking that may be the problem if you have the High Sierra EFI upgrade. The problem is that you can't undo the EFI upgrade.

Another possible issue is that there might be something about the cable or the adapters you have that was OK before High Sierra but not now. Trying different cables/adapters could cost money without fixing the problem.

I haven't used HDMI splitters so I can't comment on the specific one you linked. A possible alternative to the splitter (although it doesn't look that expensive) is to find out what other types of inputs your monitor supports and try a different adapter with the Mini-Displayport port. The best thing would be if your monitor has a Displayport or Mini-Displayport port. Then you just buy the cable. If your monitor has a DVI port, you could use a Mini-Displayport-DVI adapter. Although these adapters are inexpensive, you would also need a cable if you don't have one and get the right type of adapter and cable (DVI has different variations). So in the end it might be as expensive or more so than the splitter. Other types of ports (VGA, etc.) probably won't be as good in quality for the computer monitor.

EDIT: In looking at the EFI versions I provided, the one I provided for what I see on my 2012 Mini with El Capitan is correct, however, the EFI version for what would be installed as part of High Sierra (MM61.0106.B12) is not correct, as it is an earlier version of the EFI. MM61.010B.B00 is supposedly the latest version of the EFI but according to at least two sources, should not have been installed unless either Sierra or High Sierra was installed, which is not the case on my Mini. The two sources differ as to whether MM61.010B.B00 was part of upgrading to Sierra or upgrading to High Sierra. Given that it appears that MM61.010B.B00 is the latest EFI version, I can test whether my Mini will work with a 1920x1080 monitor using a Mini-Displayport-HDMI adapter and let you know what I observe. (I presume that you will also have MM61.010B.B00.)

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
In testing my 2012 Mini (2.6 GHz quad-core) with El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G18013*) with the MM61.010B.B00 EFI, it works using the Mini-Displayport port with a HDMI adapter (Amazon Basics, which, as the name suggests, is pretty basic) connecting to a 1920x1080 monitor. I haven't taken any great care in selecting the HDMI cable.

* Check the build version by clicking on the Apple icon at the top left and clicking on the version number.

So that would mean that, if MM61.010B.B00 is indeed the EFI version after the High Sierra upgrade, that isn't the cause of your problem. If you have the same build version and EFI version, I don't see why mine would work and yours would not. Given the sequence of events you presented, perhaps the High Sierra upgrade did something to the hardware but that would be unlikely on the face of it and I don't know how one could prove that.

(One source for the EFI information covered up to 10.11.6 2017 Security Update 4, but there was a Security Update after that so maybe my EFI was upgraded as part of that update.)

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
Thanks again for all your help.

I have checked the HARDWARE OVERVIEW > BOOT ROM VERSION reads : MM61.010B.BOO
The installed version of OS X EL CAPITAN is : 10.11.6
It seems as though my Mac Mini (late 2012) is equipped with a THUNDERBOLT (FIRST GENERATION) PORT - see info below

About Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt is an input/output (I/O) technology that supports high-resolution displays and high-performance data devices. It does this through a single, compact port. Thunderbolt I/O technology gives you two channels on the same connector, each with 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions.

The Thunderbolt port or connector end looks like this:

thunderbolt_connector.png

The port on your computer looks like a Mini DisplayPort. To confirm that you have a Thunderbolt port, check for this symbol next to or above the port:

thunderbolt_logo.png

These Mac models have Thunderbolt (first-generation) ports:

• MacBook Pro (2011 through 2013)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011) and later
  • MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011) and later
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011) and later - THE NEXT THUNDERBOLT VERSION FOR MAC MINI, WAS RELEASED IN 2014
  • iMac (Mid 2011 through 2015)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Sorry - I'm not very technically minded ...... I hope that this is the info that you asked for?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
As I mentioned, Thunderbolt isn't a factor in the problem you're having.

What I'm trying to determine is if you have the same configuration on your computer that I have on mine. You have the same EFI version. I need to know the build version. This can be determined by the instructions in the link below:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201260

Initially, the screen will only show the version (10.11.6), which you've provided. However, there is a build version number and this will only appear if you click on the version number in the screen that comes up. It will be in parenthesis. For me, it comes up as "15G18013". What appears should start with "15".

What you can also try is to run the computer in safe mode and see if your monitor/TV will work as it did previously. What this does is to run the computer without running certain software that you may have installed which may be causing the problem. When you're running in regular mode, this software (which again, you may or may not have) runs. "Safe mode" does not imply that you may have unsafe software, it just means that certain software which may cause issues are not loaded. I'm guessing that this is not the problem but it's something that isn't difficult to do.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

I would also like to know what brand/model of computer monitor you have. There may be something in the specifications that could point to why at least the monitor won't work on the Mini-Displayport using a HDMI adapter.

Last edited:

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
I have checked THE BUILD - It's the same as yours : 15G18013
I have just tried running the computer in SAFE MODE - unfortunately still NO GO.
My computer monitor model : DELL 2405FPW
Thanks
[doublepost=1516181831][/doublepost]This is the GENERIC adapter that I first bought https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-US...635510&hash=item51e6eed2fb:g:4eQAAOSwdGFYvQwe

In the meantime, I have bought another one - but still no go.

I'm wondering whether these adapters (or perhaps the port) are faulty ???

The alternative would be to purchase this lead ??? Would appreciate your further advice. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Min...112143&hash=item488b79d927:g:sVkAAOSw9uFW-QPw

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
So this is going to be a bit complicated, so bear with me.

Since you have the same El Capitan build and EFI as I do (and things work for me) and things worked for you previous to the High Sierra upgrade and still doesn't work when going back to El Capitan, I think that, as I mentioned before, that either the EFI upgrade or High Sierra doing something to the hardware is the cause. The EFI upgrade would have happened either by applying the El Capital 10.11.6 Security update 2017-005, which came out on Dec. 6, 2017 or by doing the High Sierra upgrade. If you applied the 2017-005 security update in El Capitan right after it came out and things were working and then upgraded to High Sierra, say, in early January, then that would tend to rule out the EFI upgrade as the issue.

If the EFI upgrade is not the issue, that is, High Sierra broke the hardware or it just broke on it's own, then the HDMI splitter is probably the best solution. However, your computer monitor has a resolution of 1920x1200 and most HD TV's have a resolution of 1920x1080 and from what I've read of HDMI splitters, if there are mixed resolutions, it will output at the lower resolution. So you'll lose some screen real estate on your monitor.

If the EFI upgrade is the issue, since things are working for me, then it's likely the Mini-Displayport-HDMI adapter is the issue. You have a link to a cable. Since I don't have this cable, I don't know if it will work. You should go on the web and see if there are user reviews and see if people are having problems with it. The adapter that I have which works is the following (on the Amazon Australia site):
https://www.amazon.com.au/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B00NH13K8S
Note that manufacturers of these types of devices can change the specs of them while keeping the same name/model # so it may not be exactly the same. Also while I have only had it work up to 1920x1080, the description says it does support up to 1920x1200, the resolution of your monitor.

You may also want to look at something like the following:
https://www.amazon.com.au/CableCreation-Displayport-Thunderbolt-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B012AGGQ5O
(Again, ignore the use of "Thunderbolt" in the description).
This will connect to the Mini-Displayport port and allow you to connect either the TV or your monitor so if one doesn't work, you can try the other. By looking at the specs on your monitor, it looks you're using a DVI cable that you connect to the HDMI-DVI adapter which came with the 2012 Mini. So, if your cable looks like the following:
https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/DP2DVI2MM6.B.jpg
it should fit. If your cable is missing the middle 9 pins, it will also fit with this adapter.

I don't know if either of these adapters (or the cable in your link) will work, but they're all relatively inexpensive, so I would think it's worth a try.

goingroundthebend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
South Australia
I will try what you have suggested.

Again, I appreciate your patience & all of your valued help treekram.

Many thanks
[doublepost=1516236356][/doublepost]
So this is going to be a bit complicated, so bear with me.

Since you have the same El Capitan build and EFI as I do (and things work for me) and things worked for you previous to the High Sierra upgrade and still doesn't work when going back to El Capitan, I think that, as I mentioned before, that either the EFI upgrade or High Sierra doing something to the hardware is the cause. The EFI upgrade would have happened either by applying the El Capital 10.11.6 Security update 2017-005, which came out on Dec. 6, 2017 or by doing the High Sierra upgrade. If you applied the 2017-005 security update in El Capitan right after it came out and things were working and then upgraded to High Sierra, say, in early January, then that would tend to rule out the EFI upgrade as the issue.

If the EFI upgrade is not the issue, that is, High Sierra broke the hardware or it just broke on it's own, then the HDMI splitter is probably the best solution. However, your computer monitor has a resolution of 1920x1200 and most HD TV's have a resolution of 1920x1080 and from what I've read of HDMI splitters, if there are mixed resolutions, it will output at the lower resolution. So you'll lose some screen real estate on your monitor.

If the EFI upgrade is the issue, since things are working for me, then it's likely the Mini-Displayport-HDMI adapter is the issue. You have a link to a cable. Since I don't have this cable, I don't know if it will work. You should go on the web and see if there are user reviews and see if people are having problems with it. The adapter that I have which works is the following (on the Amazon Australia site):
https://www.amazon.com.au/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B00NH13K8S
Note that manufacturers of these types of devices can change the specs of them while keeping the same name/model # so it may not be exactly the same. Also while I have only had it work up to 1920x1080, the description says it does support up to 1920x1200, the resolution of your monitor.

You may also want to look at something like the following:
https://www.amazon.com.au/CableCreation-Displayport-Thunderbolt-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B012AGGQ5O
(Again, ignore the use of "Thunderbolt" in the description).
This will connect to the Mini-Displayport port and allow you to connect either the TV or your monitor so if one doesn't work, you can try the other. By looking at the specs on your monitor, it looks you're using a DVI cable that you connect to the HDMI-DVI adapter which came with the 2012 Mini. So, if your cable looks like the following:
https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/DP2DVI2MM6.B.jpg
it should fit. If your cable is missing the middle 9 pins, it will also fit with this adapter.

I don't know if either of these adapters (or the cable in your link) will work, but they're all relatively inexpensive, so I would think it's worth a try.
[doublepost=1516236393][/doublepost]I will try what you have suggested.

Again, I appreciate your patience & all of your valued help treekram.

Many thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.