Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo7728

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Hi all,
I’m new here but would love some help.
I have an early 2014 MacBook Air that has thunderbolt 1.
I have just bought a new dell usb c monitor.(Dell U2419HC)
I want to connect my 2014 MacBook Air to this.
What is the best way to do this?

The monitor has a built in hub(with 4 downstream USB ports) but only one upstream port which is the usb c port.

Can I use the thunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor and cable to connect the MacBook to the monitor?

Will this let me access the USB ports on the monitor to plug keyboard mouse in? And will it transfer video over to the monitor? Will it charge the MacBook too?

or is there any other ways to do this?

All tips and ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
That display offers a DisplayPort output and the Thunderbolt specification supports DisplayPort (the TB1 and TB2 connector is the same as a Mini DisplayPort connector) so I believe you should be able to use a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable to connect the monitor (DisplayPort) to the MacBook Air (Mini DisplayPort).

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
The TB2 to TB3 adapter doesn't support video adapters. Best solution would be to get a TB2 hub.

TB2 and TB1 don't support power. You need to use a Mac power adapter no matter what.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The Dell U2419HC has a DisplayPort input. Use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for that. If you want to use the downstream USB ports of the display, then I guess you can connect a USB-A to USB-C cable to the display?

But if you want only a USB-C connection to the display (for DisplayPort and USB capability), then you can try one of the following:
1) Huawei VR 2 Computer Connection Cable. Requires a USB port.
2) Wacom Link Plus. Requires a USB port.
3) Belkin Charge and Sync Cable for Huawei VR Glass. Requires two USB ports.
4) A Thunderbolt 3 device with two Thunderbolt 3 ports (such as a Thunderbolt 3 dock), plus a Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
5) Sunix UPD2018 in a Thunderbolt expansion box.
6) Delock 89582 in a Thunderbolt expansion box.

#1, #2, #3 only support USB 2.0 with four lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 (I haven't tested #3).
#4, #5, #6 support USB 2.0 with four lanes of DisplayPort 1.2 and USB 3.x with 2 lanes of DisplayPort 1.2
I like #4 the best. It's the most expensive option but gives the most features. You get a Thunderbolt 3 dock that can support USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps) which allows the display's USB ports to work at 5 Gbps (the display has a USB 3.0 hub).

There is no solution to power the MacBook Air because Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 do not include power input.

Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 docks don't include USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.