Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadian lamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I have been looking for a thunderbolt 3 dock and have not been able to find one with a configuration on working for that I thought would be easy.

basically I need a docking station that supports
  1. 2 display port and/or HDMI inputs for non- thunderbolt display monitors.
  2. thunderbolt 3 port ( free) in addition to the port for the connection to the computer.I suppose you could call it2 thunderbolt ports.
the reasoning for this is that I basically want to not " use up" the thunderbolt 3 port in the back of the iMac has any of the other one for an EGPU....... eventually, but still have dual monitors.

do such a thing exists?
thanks

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

Three downstream Thunderbolt ports, two of which support DisplayPort Alternate Mode (using USB-C to DP adapters).

canadian lamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
You want the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub because it support two Display Ports 4k monitor or one 8k Monitor!
That seems like a solid choice. I was hoping to get something used though, due to the cost of these docking stations. there are plenty of thunderbolt 3s available. maybe I just have to wait for this one.

Three downstream Thunderbolt ports, two of which support DisplayPort Alternate Mode (using USB-C to DP adapters).
this also seems solid. But like the Cal digit thunderbolt 4 I don't expect to find any used as it seems to be brand-new.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
there are plenty of thunderbolt 3s available. maybe I just have to wait for this one.
The hub functionality that allows docks to have three Thunderbolt ports (two of which can carry DisplayPort signals) only came with Thunderbolt 4.

canadian lamp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
The hub functionality that allows docks to have three Thunderbolt ports (two of which can carry DisplayPort signals) only came with Thunderbolt 4.
it is this for one particular manufacturer,Or an inherent characteristic of the thunderbolt 3 port bus

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
it is this for one particular manufacturer,Or an inherent characteristic of the thunderbolt 3 port bus
Only Thunderbolt 4 dock/hub can have two displays and a downstream Thunderbolt port. The two displays can be connected to one or two of the downstream Thunderbolt 4 ports using Thunderbolt or USB-C or USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI adapters.

Any Thunderbolt 3 dock claiming to support two displays without using the downstream Thunderbolt port are using a DisplayPort MST hub (e.g. HP Thunderbolt Dock G2) or DisplayLink (are there any Thunderbolt docks that include DisplayLink? I think they're all just USB). macOS doesn't support MST for multiple displays (only one display is detected and the other displays will mirror the first).

Thunderbolt 4 devices requires a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 Mac running Big Sur. It might work with Thunderbolt 2 Macs (I don't have one to test but I think I remember someone getting it to work). It does not work with my Thunderbolt 1 Mac.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014

The $149 model looks good, $100 less than the caldigit, but wow is the video on the page for the $149 hub misleading, as it could fool someone into thinking their M1 MacBook Air could support 2 external monitors...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.