Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nadja75

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Good evening everyone, I'm a new user of this fantastic forum, and I've been the owner of a 256Gb MAC Air M2 for a few months.
Today I purchased yet another hdd case with the ASMedia ASM2464 chip on board, I'll include the link at the end of the post. As soon as I turned it on I proceeded to update the firmware to version AS_USB4_240129_85_00_00.bin.
Since the MPTool utility does not have backup functions for the old firmware and the configuration, I proceeded to take some screenshots, where the configuration is shown in a hex table.
Originally I had the firmware version AS_USB4_231005_85_02_03, which I believe is just a variant, perhaps not even real, of the firmware that can be found online AS_USB4_231005_85_00_00 which is mounted on the JEYI models
As expected immediately after the update, the case status LED began to not work properly.
For example, if connected to the TB4 port, it does not light up blue and remains only green as if it were connected to a USB 3.0 port.
During reading/writing, this does not flash as it should and remains lit steadily.
By modifying the ini file in the [PCIE_USB_Config] parameter - two_leds_enable=1 I managed to obtain the flashing during the reading phase but when connected to a USB 3.0 port, while if I connect it to a TB4 port, the LED turns on for a moment to green and then turns off.
Do you have any idea how to proceed to resolve the situation.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240329_125701.jpg
    20240329_125701.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240329_125724.jpg
    20240329_125724.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240329_125741.jpg
    20240329_125741.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 44

whodiini

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2021
I purchased a Blueendless ASM2462 based enclosure and received it today. Mechanically, it is mediocre. There is a very beefy aluminum extruded enclosure and a plastic NVMe holder that slides into the aluminum. It includes a thermal strip, which has to slide to make contact with the enclosure, so contact is not very good. It also includes a fan that can be turned on or off. The worse part is that the USB socket is recessed and only accepts cables that are the small oval size. I have many cables that are rectangular and they dont fit. It came with the c18 firmware probably the same as the Jeyi one mentioned earlier in these posts. I inserted a SN850X and a few strange issues arose. System report shows a link width of x2 and a link speed of 16.0GT/s This seems strange as I thought each link was 4GT/s. This is with a Studio Max M1. Running BlackMagic, I get the same speed as when I had the NVMe in a Acasis TB3 enclosure. I thought there might be a difference. Edit - I now connected it directly to the Studio Max. It is about 7% faster than the Intel chips. I added a 2mm thermal pad instead of using the included 1mm pad. The fan switch is labeled in reverse. On means off and off means on. I had to use a dremel and open up the area around the recessed USB socket to fit a standard rectangular plug. So mediocre construction, but I wanted something cheap to test the ASM2464 chip.

Even though it is cheap ~ $40, I would rather get the OWC 1M2 if I wanted something of quality to put a 4TB SN850X $$.

Last edited:
Reactions: ekwipt and masotime

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I purchased a Blueendless ASM2462 based enclosure and received it today. Mechanically, it is mediocre. There is a very beefy aluminum extruded enclosure and a plastic NVMe holder that slides into the aluminum. It includes a thermal strip, which has to slide to make contact with the enclosure, so contact is not very good. It also includes a fan that can be turned on or off. The worse part is that the USB socket is recessed and only accepts cables that are the small oval size. I have many cables that are rectangular and they dont fit. It came with the c18 firmware probably the same as the Jeyi one mentioned earlier in these posts. I inserted a SN850X and a few strange issues arose. System report shows a link width of x2 and a link speed of 16.0GT/s This seems strange as I thought each link was 4GT/s. This is with a Studio Max M1. Running BlackMagic, I get the same speed as when I had the NVMe in a Acasis TB3 enclosure. I thought there might be a difference. Edit - I now connected it directly to the Studio Max. It is about 7% faster than the Intel chips. I added a 2mm thermal pad instead of using the included 1mm pad. The fan switch is labeled in reverse. On means off and off means on. I had to use a dremel and open up the area around the recessed USB socket to fit a standard rectangular plug. So mediocre construction, but I wanted something cheap to test the ASM2464 chip.
You are looking at the PCI tab in System Information.app? 16 GT/s is the PCIe gen 4 link width per lane. A Thunderbolt enclosure using an Intel Thunderbolt controller would have PCIe gen 3 link max (8 GT/s). Normally there should be 4 PCIe lanes.

I don't know of anything that would report 4GT/s. PCIe gen 2 is 5 GT/s and gen 1 is 2.5 GT/s.

In the Thunderbolt tab in System Information.app, I think it should report "Speed: Up to 40 Gbps x1" and "Current Link Width: 0x2" which means 20 Gbps per lane (2 Thunderbolt/USB4 lanes).

whodiini

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2021
You are looking at the PCI tab in System Information.app? 16 GT/s is the PCIe gen 4 link width per lane. A Thunderbolt enclosure using an Intel Thunderbolt controller would have PCIe gen 3 link max (8 GT/s). Normally there should be 4 PCIe lanes.

I don't know of anything that would report 4GT/s. PCIe gen 2 is 5 GT/s and gen 1 is 2.5 GT/s.

In the Thunderbolt tab in System Information.app, I think it should report "Speed: Up to 40 Gbps x1" and "Current Link Width: 0x2" which means 20 Gbps per lane (2 Thunderbolt/USB4 lanes).
Yes. Under PCI tab in System Information. pci1987,5016: Link Width: x2 Link Speed: 16.0GT/s
Tested with M1 Studio Max and with Intel Macbook Pro. Both say the same.
Also under Thunderbolt/USB4: Link Width: 0x2 Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x 1
Also under NVMExpress: Link Speed x2 Link Speed: 16.0GT/s

Since this is a ASM controller, then 16GT/s makes sense (8GT/s x 2)?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Since this is a ASM controller, then 16GT/s makes sense (8GT/s x 2)?
Correct. ASM USB4 controllers support PCIe gen 4 = 16 GT/s.
You said ASM2462 which I guess is the two PCIe lane version of the ASM2464PD which has 4 PCIe lanes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.