Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Hello,
I'm just trying to connect a Mobius Pro 2-Bay USB-C (3.1, Gen 2) usb C drive using this adapter to - a MacPro6.1 with a 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 - but the drive doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions/experiences with the damn thing? :oops:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
You need to use USB-A (MacPro side) to USB-C (Mobius)

Thunderbolt 2 adapter doesn't seem to work/provide enough power for the USB protocol, in my experience.

Reactions: Coselmann

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
You need to use USB-A (MacPro side) to USB-C (Mobius)

Thunderbolt 2 adapter doesn't seem to work/provide enough power for the USB protocol, in my experience.
But on Apple's website it clearly says:
The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter allows you to connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices - such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docking stations - to any Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)/USB 4 port on your Mac:oops::rolleyes: I do not understand completely. Cheap the bloody thing is not.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
I wanted just a slightly faster transfer rate, so I bought both a TB2 cable and an adapter. Damn.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
But on Apple's website it clearly says:
The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter allows you to connect Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices - such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docking stations - to any Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)/USB 4 port on your Mac:oops::rolleyes: I do not understand completely. Cheap the bloody thing is not.
^^^ This is accurate, but note it's "Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices - such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docking stations"

Your Mobius is USB, not Thunderbolt protocol.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
^^^ This is accurate, but note it's "Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices - such as external hard drives and Thunderbolt docking stations"

Your Mobius is USB, not Thunderbolt protocol.
So I take this to mean that if I have a TB drive I can connect it to USB C, but if I have a USB drive I can't connect it to the TB? How stupid I am...:oops:o_O:rolleyes: But thank you very much!

It remains for me to list it on ebay. Together with the cable TB2 to TB2.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The adapter just passes the signal, it doesn't pass power.
That's not entirely true as you can run an external Thunderbolt 1 or 2 SSD from a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 computer. However, the particular device in question in this thread is a USB device so the Thunderbolt adapter will not work at all.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So I take this to mean that if I have a TB drive I can connect it to USB C, but if I have a USB drive I can't connect it to the TB? How stupid I am...:oops:o_O:rolleyes: But thank you very much!
Correct. The Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter is purely for Thunderbolt devices.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

It remains for me to list it on ebay. Together with the cable TB2 to TB2.
Actually, most Thunderbolt drives cannot connect to regular USB-C devices. Thunderbolt 4 devices have backwards compatibility with USB protocol, but most TB3 (and no TB2) do not.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
Traditionally : That would be too easy!
Thank you all for your help! :) Now I'm off to cry in a corner.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm just trying to connect a Mobius Pro 2-Bay USB-C (3.1, Gen 2) usb C drive using this adapter to - a MacPro6.1 with a 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 - but the drive doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions/experiences with the damn thing? :oops:
To get USB 10 Gbps speed, you need to connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock or device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports to the MacPro6,1 using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. Then you can connect the USB-C drive to the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Thunderbolt 3 device.

Coselmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2023
To get USB 10 Gbps speed, you need to connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock or device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports to the MacPro6,1 using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. Then you can connect the USB-C drive to the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Thunderbolt 3 device.
Thank you joevt. But the TB3 dock must have its own power supply or be powered?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.