Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lehestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I'm not sure why there is such a dearth of these items, but I'm finding it extremely difficult (and frustrating) trying to reconcile hard drives with my 2018 macbook pro with my 2013 mac pro, namely reconciling the thunderbolt 2 ecosystem with the usb-c/thunderbolt 3.

Does anyone have silver bullet solution for a either a dongle or cable that allow thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3/usb-c interfacing? I cannot connect usb-c drives to my mac pro. At the same time, I cannot connect my many thunderbolt portable hard drives with my macbook pro.

There is the apple thunderbolt2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter, which is useless to me, as it does not allow for bus power both ways.

This feels like such a 2005-style problem, but here we are and I cannot find a good solution. Even all the new thunderbolt 3/usb-c hubs don't seem to have thunderbolt 1/2 connections available. Mini displayport if you're lucky, but that doesn't help me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can connect your USB-C drives to your 2013 MacPro with a simple connector adapter, or just use any proper USB-A to USB-C cable, such as this.
Or, a simple adapter plug that you could leave attached to your MacPro - such as this.
(Some of those adapters limit you to USB 2.0 speeds, so you have to read the details when you look for one for yourself. The one I linked looks like a full USB 3 speed!)

You can use self-powered external drives (separate power connection of some kind) with Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter.

lehestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
You can connect your USB-C drives to your 2013 MacPro with a simple connector adapter, or just use any proper USB-A to USB-C cable, such as this.
Or, a simple adapter plug that you could leave attached to your MacPro - such as this.
(Some of those adapters limit you to USB 2.0 speeds, so you have to read the details when you look for one for yourself. The one I linked looks like a full USB 3 speed!)

You can use self-powered external drives (separate power connection of some kind) with Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter.
Thanks for this. I have some of those cables. One of the problems I had was with some USB-C drives that had a built-in male cable coming out of them, so that little adapter will help.

There is still the issue of connecting thunderbolt 2 drives to my macbook pro using bus power. Like I mentioned, the apple adapter doesn't allow for bi-directionality for bus-powered devices. Bus-powered thunderbolt drives of mine are now left unconnectable still. It'd also be nice to have a dock that offers legacy thunderbolt ports so I don't have to buy a $50 adapter cable for every drive (I have a lot of drives). Companies so far don't seem to want to do that, essentially asking me to buy adapters for my adapters. All of this adds up in money and space, so was hoping someone might know of a clean, all-in-one solution, but thank you for your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.