Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehpedro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
UK
Right, this one's killing, I've exhausted all forums and am now utterly confused and none the wiser. I've got both an Apple LED Cinema Display (mini display port connector) and an Apple Thunderbolt Display (TB2 connector). My perfect scenario would be to have dual displays working on my 13inch M1 MBP (2 Thunderbolt 3 ports), connected via a single, power delivery TB cable connected to my MBP. I know the M1 has no native dual external display capability, but have seen this working by other means (DisplayLink), just not with the 2 monitors I have.

Additionally, I want this set up to work on my Dell Latitude 5420 work laptop (note, this is rather locked down/needs admin rights to tinker with even basic settings). However, the Apple TB3>TB2 adapter doesn't work with Windows (my Dell laptop doesn't see it at all), so have pulled the trigger on the StarTech adapter (currently in the post) although I've now come to realise this apparently doesn't work with an M1 chip, nor TB4 which my Dell laptop has.

Is anyone aware of a set up of adaptors/docks that would enable this? DisplayLink has popped up a lot in terms of dealing with the M1, but don't think I can get the TB Display connected to any of the Display Link docks I've seen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.