Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
UK
I have a 13inch early 2014 macbook air. I use it like a desktop computer permanently plugged into an external 42inch TV via the thunderbolt 2 port. I want to get a fast external drive. I see on apple site that the best ones seem to have thunderbolt connection.. but thats where my TV is plugged it. I like the laCie 4tb.

Can you plug the drive into the thunderbolt 2, and then the monitor into the drive etc or something like that? Can I do both? What are my best options.. I'm finding it difficult to learn. Thanks

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
First most TB drives are single port. You need more of a chassis that has a 2nd TB port.

But, yes, it is supposed to work that way. Plug storage into Mac, then monitor into storage. Assume you have a Thunderbolt to HDMI or similar adapter.

That said, using the USB 3.0 port should do most of what you need for the drive attachment and it costs a lot less.

Reactions: soooty

soooty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
UK
thanks for both replies. Yes i use an hdmi to thunderbolt adaptor (on a separate note I have to replace that every few months as they don;t last -cheap or expensive). I might look into dock. USB3 port would be okay but i notice it disconnects external drives occasionally with no warning. So does the card drive drive. Reading this back neither the thunderbolt or usb are reliable lol.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
The 2014 MBA is only at Thunderbolt 1 specs. It wasn't until the 2015 that it switched to TB2.

I'm still using the same Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter I found at Goodwill for $.99 cents. It's a Monoprice brand and haven't had any issues with it. It's been over 1-1.5 years now.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Can you plug the drive into the thunderbolt 2, and then the monitor into the drive etc or something like that? Can I do both? What are my best options.. I'm finding it difficult to learn. Thanks

I did that with my 2011 MBA, because it only had USB 2.0 which is too slow for external drives (only about 30MB/sec). I got a small Seagate dock that you could snap different drives into (don't think they make it anymore). It was always a bit flakey and sometimes the monitor didn't work. It also ran really hot. And thunderbolt cables are *really* expensive, think I paid $40 back then.

I gave up on it when I got my 2013 MBA with USB 3.0. I don't know what you consider "fast", but suspect that USB 3.0 is more than adequate and should be very reliable. I have a couple Samsung T3 external SSD's, one is 500gb and another is 1TB. They are great and really fast. Samsung has now replaced the T3 with the T5, which is a bit faster. Here's what I get:

samsung1tb.jpg

If you can't afford a SSD, then I get about 180MB/sec with inexpensive external USB 3.0 hard drives. These are drives that have external power supplies, not the cheap bus-powered USB drives that typically only get around 100MB/sec.

IMO, it makes no sense to use a thunderbolt drive unless you have some special needs and don't mind spending a lot of money.
[doublepost=1533562065][/doublepost]
i use an hdmi to thunderbolt adaptor (on a separate note I have to replace that every few months as they don;t last -cheap or expensive).

That is really strange. I am still using the inexpensive "store brand" adaptor that I bought at Best Buy (a big US electronics retailer) in 2012. Works fine, and I plug/unplug it several times a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.