Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Okay, so I just spoke to MacMall and the ETA has been pushed back to 9/26 for them to get the Thunderbolt Displays in stock, so another week + shipping for my current pre-order.

Now this is giving me time to contemplate whether I should just cancel my order (haven't been charged still), and just get the Cinema Display on eBay for around $700-$800 and have it this week.

Any thoughts? I mean now that I think about it, I get:
-Excellent cable management (All in a Thunderbolt Cable)
-A FireWire 800 (I don't use)
-A Gigabit Ethernet Port (I can plug into my MBP)
-Another Thunderbolt port
-A FaceTime HD Camera (vs. iSight, that I can still FaceTime with)

All for around $250-ish more?

It almost doesn't seem worth it if the previous generation I can snag for $700-$750. Plus, the Cinema Display will work with PC's with a Mini DisplayPort (some AMD Video Cards). I consider that a plus if I decide I need a PC again.

What are some of your opinions on this? I have bought AppleCare that's unsealed, waiting for the display so it can be applied to either or. Would you want to save the $250+ if you have to plug in 2 extra cables (USB + Gigabit, which I would use docked)?

Note: I do not plan on a dual-monitor set up or daisy-chaining 2 Thunderbolt Displays, so the additional Thunderbolt port is not an issue.

Last edited:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you don't plan on using the extra TB port, then I'd just get the old one. It will still work great, and you only have one extra cable to plug in, which isn't even close to a dealbreaker.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Also was looking around as well. I can get a NEW Dell U2711 for $815 on eBay as well. Any opinions on the U2711 or the U3011 (if I could snag for under $1000)?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
The cinema display is pricy kit by any means (I have the 27" mDP one). I wouldn't dream of getting a non thunderbolt device if I could help it, especially if my current machine was thunderbolt. Don't lock yourself out of the next gen of whatever new is released.

linkc

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2005
Is it possible to use ACD (mDP) with TB computer (MBP or next generation MP)?
I have MP 2010 and all I want to use is display, I can live with iSight camera and I don't really need FW 800 on display. So I can't buy ACD with TB because I don't have TB Mac but would like to be able to use it next year or so with new computers.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is it possible to use ACD (mDP) with TB computer (MBP or next generation MP)?

Yes. But at the moment you can't daisy chain an mDP display off a TB display; only another TB display (if two are supported by your hardware to begin with).

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Well I just bought a mint condition, under warranty until April 12, 2012 27" Cinema Display for $770 on eBay. I plan to keep it until around March then either apply the AppleCare I have bought that's still sealed, or sell it for what I paid or more and get the Thunderbolt Display. Either way, seems to be a good deal.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Well I just bought a mint condition, under warranty until April 12, 2012 27" Cinema Display for $770 on eBay. I plan to keep it until around March then either apply the AppleCare I have bought that's still sealed, or sell it for what I paid or more

It doesn't read like this is a dealbreaker, but just FYI, I seriously doubt you'll be able to get what you paid or more. If you turned around and sold it today to recoup your 770, you'd have to get a bid of 870, which is unlikely since eBay completed auctions show most going in the 700s - low 800s today.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
It doesn't read like this is a dealbreaker, but just FYI, I seriously doubt you'll be able to get what you paid or more. If you turned around and sold it today to recoup your 770, you'd have to get a bid of 870, which is unlikely since eBay completed auctions show most going in the 700s - low 800s today.

also keep in mind ebay will take at least 100 dollars in fee

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
I know, I am just thinking out loud. eBay takes 9% or $50, whichever is less, plus PayPal fee + shipping cost. Even if I lose $50-$100, it's worth it for a 7-8 month "rental".'

Plus, Craigslist is an option for straight cash, which I buy and sell on there a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.