Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webbadass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
2-monitors-ok.jpg
Hi all – I am hoping someone might have some idea of what might have happened to one my monitors… I run a total of 3 including the MBP’s screen as you can see… Here is the setup…

Mid-2014 15” MBP retina running 10.14.6
1st Monitor - Dell E248WFP
2nd Monitor - Dell 2408WFP – PROBLEM MONITOR (on the right)
MS natural KB
Dell BT Mouse
Altec Lansing Speakers on speaker jack
Anker 8-Port Powered USB3 hub with various Hard drives

Both monitors are connected to my MBP by a Thunderbolt to DVI-D cable – no adapter – I remember when I bought this second monitor that I did research so I could determine if the resolution and ram was enough to power all 3 and it was just enough – I don’t remember the math any more though but I know its the max for this machine and that was in 2017 so I have been using this setup for 3 years with no problems. But recently it glitches when I plug the cables in. At first it would sometimes show the desktop and then go to static which could be gotten around by turning the monitor off and on and it would be fine, at least until the next time I had to disconnect and reconnect it again…

Today it decided to kinda glitch out completely. It shows a DVI-D logo in the corner indicating that there is a cord connected - but then it show the message “Entering Power Save” and goes to sleep. I have tested the monitor with amazon fire via HDMI and DVI-D to Display Port on my Thinkpad t410 and BOTH WORKED FINE – its just with the MacBook Pro that it suddenly wont work – any ideas why this thing went squiffy on me?

Here is a list of other details that I didn’t work into my summary above here.

Monitor HDMI to MBP HDMI – doesn’t work
DVI-D to MBP HDMI – doesn’t work
Monitor HDMI to amazon fire - Works
Monitor DVI-D to Display port on Thinkpad T410 - Works
HDMI to DVI-D to TB adapter – Doesn’t work (Not sure the adapter even works though)
Both TB ports work with Monitor 1

Jamalien

Suspended
Oct 29, 2014
Odd, have you tried resetting both monitors via their OSD.

If nada, try connecting both monitors up in a fresh partition of macos and see if that works

If still nada, maybe its a hardware problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.