Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ad47uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
I have a Mac mini m2 pro, running on a Acer 32inch 4K monitor via HDMI, whihc works really well, but then the monitor cost a fair few quid, so it should do.
Anyway, I have a older Hanns-g 24inch HD which I used to use as a second monitor for the PC, HDMI or DVI only, I am thinking of using it temporally as a second monitor for the Mac, so would a cheapish Thunderbolt to HDMI work ok? I see some on Amazon for about a tenner, or so, I presume there is no conversion of any sort, just a different pin layout.
It will only be for a few months, I am thinking of getting another large monitor at some point, but I have spent enough over the last month, so I will save up for one

Cheers peeps

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
With USB-C to HDMI there is always conversion from DisplayPort to HDMI.

Different USB-C to HDMI adapters have different maximum capabilities.
USB-C to HDMI 1.1: 1920x1200 60Hz
USB-C to HDMI 1.4: 2560x1440 60Hz or 4K30
USB-C to HDMI 2.0: 4K60 8bpc or 4K60 10bpc 4:2:0
USB-C to HDMI 2.0b: same but adds HDR support
USB-C to HDMI 2.1: Uses DSC to get 8K30 or 4K120 4:4:4 8 or 10bpc (depending on the adapter and firmware).

Each adapter should be compatible with earlier versions of HDMI or DVI.

DVI can be achieved using a HDMI to DVI adapter - those have no conversion since the signals are the same.

Maybe consider a 2.1 adapter so it will be usable in the future with a HDMI 2.1 display or TV.

Ad47uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Thanks peeps, I ordered an usb-c to HDMI yesterday, should behere today. hopefully it will do the job, it is only really so i can use the other monitor for tutorial videos for different software, Don't have to be great, the monitor is not great, it is ok, and was good for the day.

@joevt, thanks for the info, I will save that

Ad47uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
Well, for some reason the USB-C to HDMI did not work, just to see if it was a problem with the monitor I tried it on the main one and also changed the cable and nope not a thing, so either the adaptor is faulty, or it is a thunderbiolt to HDMI that is required

Ok, this is an edit about five minutes after I posted the above. I turned the mac off and at the mains and tried it again and it works. it is ok and will be fine for what it is needed for. Thanks peeps

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.