Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obwohl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Hello everyone!

I have a situation where I need to connect multiple devices to my new M2 MacBook Pro 16" and wanted to get opinions on the best docking/hub solution.

My setup includes:

• M2 MacBook Pro 16" (Thunderbolt 4/USB-C ports)
  • Older 4K LG monitor (DisplayPort connection)
  • New Samsung 5K monitor (USB-C/Thunderbolt connection)
  • Several USB 2.0 peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.) that I use at my workplace
Ideally, I'd like to find a single hub or docking station where I can connect all of these devices. Then at my workplace, I can just plug in one cable from the hub/dock into my MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt/USB-C port.

My main priorities are:

1. Supporting both the 4K and 5K monitors
  2. Providing several USB ports for my workplace peripherals
  3. Connecting to the MacBook via only one Thunderbolt 4/USB-C port
I really don't know if ONE Thunderbolt port can handle 5k+4k+3 USB Connections (Mouse, Keyboard, Audio).
So clarification would be much appreciated.
Does anyone have a recommended dock or hub that can handle this setup seamlessly? Bonus if it can charge the laptop too. I'm open to suggestions on specific models or general advice. Thanks in advance!

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
I have essentially the same question with slightly different hardware so may as well jump on this thread! My setup is:
  • 15-inch MacBook Air M3
  • Samsung Viewfinity S9: 5K/60Hz with ThunderBolt and MiniDP in
  • Old pre-Retina Acer 2560 × 1440 with DisplayPort and HDMI ins
The Air can definitely handle the combined pixels of these 2 displays because they’re currently plugged in to both TB ports.
I got the Samsung display because its sale price is just sooo much lower than the Studio Display and I didn’t have to choose between VESA and an included height-adjustable stand. But I also kinda forgot that the Samsung’s USB-C ports are slow-ass 2.0 speeds, so I can’t just daisy-chain my old monitor or attach backup drives.

So now I need to get a dock if I want anything other than displays when at my desk (which will probably be 90% of my usage of this computer). Don’t really care about audio/ethernet/card readers. To rank priorities like the OP:
  1. Connect a 5K and a 1440p display
  2. A reasonable amount of additional USB ports
    1. at least one USB 3.x speed
    2. don’t really how many are A vs C
  3. Single cable to the Air
  4. Under $250 if possible
Looks like the OWC 14-port might handle it, and it’s currently deeply discounted, but people are trashing it in another thread here. Would love some other recommendation!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I imagine your price range limits you to TB3 hubs. The CalDigit TS3+ should satisfy your requirements, however, you will need to use laptop in clamshell mode as the M3 MBA only supports 2 displays (internal + 1 ext) or (2 ext). Currently on Amazon, there is a $50 coupon which can be applied. I have the TS3+; it works great.

Reactions: Yonizzle

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
Yeah the price range is lowest priority. But that one looks promising—after using DP for the old monitor and TB for the new one, I’d have a generous 5 USB-A and 2 USB-C ports remaining. Don’t care about the audio but might possibly end up using the Ethernet or SD reader.

I think it’s a tossup between that one and the smaller Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub that’d leave me with one TB4 and four 10GBps USB-A ports after connecting both monitors to TB

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
I have the TS3+; it works great.
What monitor(s) and Mac are you using with it?

So many of these docks will say “Two (2) 4K displays or one (1) 5K” but they won’t tell you about a 5k plus something way lower. In terms of number of pixels, my setup is 1.25× a 5K and slightly higher than 2× a 4K. And if I want to add a second 5K down the road it’s also confusing. There Are some that say 1× 8K or 2× 4K but nothing about 2× 5K, which is below an 8K! Ok, sorry, rant over! Seems like people do like Caldigit a lot at any rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.