Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGod

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
Is it likely that Apple will come out with a Superdrive upgrade for the suckers (hello, me) who bought the TiBook 800? I think the "Combo" drive upgrade for the laptops option became available about 3 months after it was announced (but I might be wrong). So perhaps sometime in late January or February? It appears as if there is an incredible demand for the Superdrives, but at the same time it also seems as if it would not be a good business move as it would affect the new TiBook sales.

After my last post a few months ago (suggesting that a Superdrive TiBook was was clearly and logically imminent) was shot down like an Iraqi warplane, I went out and bought the TiBook 800. And now, 2 months later, like many TiBook owners, I want a Superdrive. I'm debating selling my barely used 60GB laptop for $2000 (a $1200 loss) and buying the new model or waiting till they come out with an upgrade that might never happen. Any advice?

FYI: I have now figured out the most accurate method of predicting major new product releases: to wait exactly seven weeks after I buy a system. Trust me, this happened with my G4 desktop, my iPod and now my new (old) TiBook. It must be one of those unwritten laws of the universe. According to this principle, a new iPod update is virtually guaranteed to happen about seven weeks after Nov 5 (I just bought another one)!

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
i know it doesnt answer your question but how much was that combo drive upgrade, i'd like to pop a combo drive in my 500mhz tibook. Is it on the apple store or 3rd party?

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
iGod,
I'd like to apologize for my comments toward you :( After all, you did pick the handle iGod...:p And slot loading notebook DVD burners haven't been announced yet...:(:(:( I'm sorry to hear that...

Thirteenva,
You can upgrade to a combo drive. Go here . MCE does upgrade for $329, but you have to send your powerbook to them. However turnaround time is very fast (2-3 days I hear). Hope that helped. :)

iGod

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
My handle was always meant to be a tongue-in-cheek take on people's screen names - in the same way that "Over Achiever" is presumably intended to be. I thought it would also be an amusing name for Steve's "ultimate" iApp. Perhaps I'll change my name to something more palatable next time like JJ667 or Mac99 if it makes you happy and will save me $1200...:D :mad: :D

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I'm just saying...I never really ragged on you about the handle, but others did. It was more about your sources or something tho', I'll have to reread the post to say more about it...

[EDIT]Ok, you predicted them back in September, and you were two months off.;) And five months in my opinion was too early for an update, and I was right. However, I do admit that I was wrong in assuming we wouldn't get a superdrive, but I was right that they weren't ready by september. The ad that we were refering to was a fake. Also the iBooks stayed at G3 as predicted...I still see it that way. I was sorta right about them not releasing new powerbooks during promotions, but I was completely wrong about them skipping out on the holiday season. One reason they updated the portable line was to get into the holiday shopping action. And I did not predict the price cuts they have now...not many did. Who woulda thunk that the superdrive powerbook would be over five hundred dollars cheaper than the previous top of the time?:eek: So I really don't aploigize for my comments, they were also based on reason as your post was. Hopefully there's no hard feelings? :) I'm sorry you got the 800 DVI and I waited...C'est la vie! [/EDIT]

Padrote

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2002
Glendale, CA
TiBook Superdrive

You can get a Combo drive on a TiBook for about $300 plus installation. I can't imagine that a TiBook Superdrive would cost over $600. The Superdrive is definitely worth the price for a TiBook at $3,000. I feel sorry for those who forked out $3,200 for a TiBook 800...

But that's life...

lenz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2002
well from an economic perspective, you would you're better off buying an external DVD-R drive than selling you tibook. Your cost would only be like $400 compared to the $1200 cost of replacing your laptop.

Besides how often are you gonna burn a dvd on the go?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
If you decide to sell it, then sell it on eBay, because macs sell
for a lot more then they are worth. I guess there is just a low
supply and a great demand.....

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: TiBook Superdrive upgrade option

Originally posted by iGod
FYI: I have now figured out the most accurate method of predicting major new product releases: to wait exactly seven weeks after I buy a system. Trust me, this happened with my G4 desktop, my iPod and now my new (old) TiBook. It must be one of those unwritten laws of the universe. According to this principle, a new iPod update is virtually guaranteed to happen about seven weeks after Nov 5 (I just bought another one)!

iGod,
Just wanted to point out that seven weeks from Nov 5th is Christmas Eve!:p But anyway, I feel your frustration...

lenz,
I think most of the people who want a superdrive upgrade option is for the fact that they have an internal superdrive...I really don't think they truly need an external DVD burner.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Ext. DVD-R not a good solution

Originally posted by lenz
well from an economic perspective, you would you're better off buying an external DVD-R drive than selling you tibook. Your cost would only be like $400 compared to the $1200 cost of replacing your laptop.

I tried the QPS DVD-R external FW burner and had some problems with it. The disks seemed to burn OK and even verified but there were errors playing them. I would not reccomend an external solution.

OTOH - Local Apple Store said I could burn a DVD there as long as I bought the media there - I even saw someone bring in his video project and burn it & play it for everyone there. Pretty cool, them Apple Stores!

moby1

~ soon to be owner of Ti with SuperDrive ~

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Re: TiBook Superdrive

Originally posted by Padrote
You can get a Combo drive on a TiBook for about $300 plus installation. I can't imagine that a TiBook Superdrive would cost over $600. The Superdrive is definitely worth the price for a TiBook at $3,000. I feel sorry for those who forked out $3,200 for a TiBook 800...

But that's life...

I'm not sorry one bit. I got my Ti 800 during the academic discount a few months ago, and I've been happy since. So what, my Comp isn't a gigahertz processor and has a superdrive, it was the right choice at the time when I had the money. I still got my TiBook for about the same price as I could get one now. Nevertheless, I probably got one of the greatest laptops on the market and I'm happy as a clam.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Ext. DVD-R not a good solution

Originally posted by moby1
I tried the QPS DVD-R external FW burner and had some problems with it. The disks seemed to burn OK and even verified but there were errors playing them. I would not reccomend an external solution.

There's your problem. QPS. I think you'll be able to buy an internal notebook DVD-R soon (who knows, Dell might have them in awhile, pioneers that they are :D, no pun intended), but there are some external solutions that may work for you.

Check http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for info.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
If (or, more to the point, when) a PowerBook SuperDrive upgrade becomes available for the masses, do you think it's feasible for the drive to be installed in a Cube as a replacement for the stock DVD or Combo slot-loading drives?

With a Powerlogix Dual-Gigahertz processor upgrade, a GeForce 3 card, a 120Gig Hard Drive and 1.5 Gig of memory, what a beast of a machine that would be...

Throw in the HD Cinema Display for the ultimate Mac. Get the idea, Apple?

:cool:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
If (or, more to the point, when) a PowerBook SuperDrive upgrade becomes available for the masses, do you think it's feasible for the drive to be installed in a Cube as a replacement for the stock DVD or Combo slot-loading drives?

With a Powerlogix Dual-Gigahertz processor upgrade, a GeForce 3 card, a 120Gig Hard Drive and 1.5 Gig of memory, what a beast of a machine that would be...

Throw in the HD Cinema Display for the ultimate Mac. Get the idea, Apple?

i think as long as it doesn't create too much heat (and you never know) you should definitely see a cube upgrade, if and when the tibook upgrade becomes available--

:)
pnw

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
TiBook Superdrive...

iGod: Bill, is that you?

PS, great question, I'm sure there are a lot of PayAgains out their Coveting Superdrives. They probably would like to commit to Adult try those Drives... Lord knows they'd like to Kill their BaysMore...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.