Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I recently bought a Quicksilver G4 on eBay. Not a bad system for building up with a cpu upgrade a later date concidering it was only £380 and came with 2 7200rpm drives and Tiger.

I did a fresh install of OS9 then installed Tiger over the top on the same drive so I had a totally clean system and that's what I've used since.

I came to install the "Mac OS X 10.4.3 Combined Update" and it stops saying there's an error a few seconds after I type my password and it starts "preparing the volume"

It's driving me nuts!

I've repaired permissons several times.
Both drives are S.M.A.R.T. verified and HFS+
The original 40Gb drive is Slave on ATA0 and just used for file storage, a 60Gb Maxtor drive is Master on ATA0 and has OS 9.2.2 and 10.4 installed.

anyone know what's up? I'm thinking of sticking with 10.4 and waiting for 10.4.4 at this stage seeing as nothing is giving me any problems with OS 10.4

I've only been using OS X for about a month now having had a beige G3 for over 7 years so It's annoying the hell out of me

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
barkmonster said:
I recently bought a Quicksilver G4 on eBay. Not a bad system for building up with a cpu upgrade a later date concidering it was only £380 and came with 2 7200rpm drives and Tiger.

I did a fresh install of OS9 then installed Tiger over the top on the same drive so I had a totally clean system and that's what I've used since.

I came to install the "Mac OS X 10.4.3 Combined Update" and it stops saying there's an error a few seconds after I type my password and it starts "preparing the volume"

It's driving me nuts!

I've repaired permissons several times.
Both drives are S.M.A.R.T. verified and HFS+
The original 40Gb drive is Slave on ATA0 and just used for file storage, a 60Gb Maxtor drive is Master on ATA0 and has OS 9.2.2 and 10.4 installed.

anyone know what's up? I'm thinking of sticking with 10.4 and waiting for 10.4.4 at this stage seeing as nothing is giving me any problems with OS 10.4

I've only been using OS X for about a month now having had a beige G3 for over 7 years so It's annoying the hell out of me
Have you tried downloading the update directly from apples website. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301984

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.