Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Alright, ever since the Tiger upgrade. I have not been able to properly FTP through Dreamweaver 2004 or Fetch. It seems as if it's just not letting me place the files on the server and giving errors about permisson and failing to load to server.

I am a web designer and I know what I am doing to put/get files. I have been doing it for 4 years and now Tiger is being a jerk and not playing nice with DW it seems.

Anyone with similar symptoms?

Come on 10.4.1!

Half a cheer...

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I have Tiger sitting in the box on my desk, I use DreamWeaver also, and I don't want anything to get messed up, so should I wait for 10.4.1 before installing?
I don't need DW, i just use it to make my website, and it really needs some updates!

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Well. I am running Tiger on my PB and PM and they both treat it the same. It's not FTP'ing properly.

I thought it might have been a cache issue...

On your copy of Tiger, I'd wait. Have you read the other problems with Tiger yet?

It's not looking good.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Works for me..

I use Transmit (mainly so i can use the widget to quickly upload screenshots :D) for my ftp (port 21). I use dreamweaver, but i just upload with transmits sync folders feature.

Might be worth using the demo of transmit, while you wait for 10.4.1, and/or a program update for dreamweaver/fetch.

chaoscreative

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2005
Same here

I can use Fetch but not Dreamweaver. Only thing that seems to work is turning off the firewall entirely. The suggested 'passive FTP' checkbox under Proxies doesn't make a diff., and 10.4.1 didn't address it. :confused:

Drum

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2005
Southampton, UK
Me too

I was reduced to editing my sites in Dreamweaver and then FTPing them with Transmit. It does work in Dreamweaver if you turn off the firewall but I haven't managed to configure the firewall to allow port 21 (well, I thought I had but it didn't work!)

Anyone else fared better?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I am not alone!! I have not been able to FTP through Dreamweaver 2004 since the beginning. What gives? I figured it had to do with our office server but the guy in charge of it could never give me a solution. My only solution has been FTPing through Classic and Dreamweaver 4.

This is through Panther BTW.

Tech support in India was no help either.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I also had big problems using the ftp feature in Dreamweaver 8. Whenever I tried to setup a remote site using the Basic setup the connection failed. The trick is to use the Advanced setup feature and check the "Use Passive FTP" checkbox (set it up under Remote Info or under Testing Server). Now, everything works just fine.

Attachments

• Picture-7.jpg
    Picture-7.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 167

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I wish it was as simple as checking 'passive FTP'. Unfortunately no, that's the first thing I tried.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Dreamweaver 8 is a huge let down over MX 2004.

It seems to have gotten slower, and pretty sparse on the new features.

Seems like Macromedia got lazy with this version of their studio suite.

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
No Problem

I haven't had a problem with Dreamweaver, BB Edit or Fetch on any of our machines. I have DW loaded on three Macs, two of them running Tiger, on an Ethernet LAN.
However I do not use the Mac firewall at all. It stays turned off.
Sounds like your problems may be a firewall or port issue.
Good luck,

MarkDavies

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That's It!!!

Mitthrawnuruodo was correct!

Make sure you select the 'Use passive FTP' setting in the 'Advanced' view in your 'Site Definition' in Dreamweaver, NOT the Proxies tab in Network Settings in System Preferences on your machine.

I did it and I am a happy camper now.

Mitthrawnuruodo is my hero. For now.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.