Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I have been putting off my purchase of Tiger(10.4) because it sounds like it won't be much of an improvement. I am thinking that I will not be too impressed. I will install it today.

Has anyone had similar thoughts or experiences with upgrading from Jaguar? Or should I be excited?

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
It's a big step up from Jaguar, for sure. You get Expose, for one thing. I recently went from 10.3 and 10.4 (basically because I was forced to in order to use the latest EyeTV software), and I'm not convinced it is worth it, for me anyway, in terms of OS X improvements. But 10.2 -> 10.4 ... definitely a good move.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I agree. 10.3 -> 10.4 is not as big a jump, with Spotlight and Dashboard being the most notable additions. But from 10.2, I think it's worth it.

I was skeptical about upgrading from 10.3 and put it off for a while, but was eventually kind of forced to when I bought a cellphone for iSync compatibility, only to find out I needed Tiger to support the phone. I still like it though, and I was going to do it eventually.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
aloofman said:
I still like it though, and I was going to do it eventually.

Yeah, sure. It's not like I am going to go back to 10.3! The improvements are welcome, just not deal-breakers - hence I waited for a good reason to upgrade.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
spotlight

For me, Spotlight is the best addition to any OS I've ever seen. I use it daily, and going to machines without it is torture.

It has literelly changed how I use the computer... I search for everything with it (documents, recipes, favorite photos, etc).

-alywa

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
My girlfriend has a 12" G4 PowerBook and she got an airport extreme card and airport base station for Christmas. After installing the card for her I found out that the software wouldn't run under 10.2 so she had to buy Tiger. The difference between 10.2 and 10.4 is pretty big. Her laptop boots up a lot faster than it did before and just runs better overall.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have 10.3 Panther on my mini, and have been toying with the idea of getting 10.4 Tiger. However, I have no real need for it and really see no compelling reason.

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
I also found Safari ran considerably quicker with Tiger installed too.

Spotlight is incredibly useful - especially for someone like me - whilst I try to be tidy and methodical, I pretty much end up putting files everywhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.