Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usingautumn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
since upgrading to tiger i keep getting full system crashes when pluging in or taking out usb and firewire devices, namely my k750i phone on usb and my motu 896hd firewire audio interface. This is a problem as i like to keep my mac on 27/7 and switch everything else like moniters off at night. :(

I never used to get this problem with panther, is anyone experiencing similar problems with tiger?

I'm running 10.4.3 on a Dual 2Ghz G5 PM (8 slot)

_Ian

Applespider

macrumors G4
usingautumn said:
since upgrading to tiger i keep getting full system crashes when pluging in or taking out usb and firewire devices, namely my k750i phone on usb

The k750i one is a known bug. It's to do with the phone not being listed in the appropriate kext file or something.

Here's the fix

I'm not getting crashes from this - I assume that you're ejecting the USB/FW drives before you take em out? Do you have an iSight plugged in when you're removing FW drives? I believe that can cause problems.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Also did you do an upgrade or clean install? Every person I know who did an upgrade had tons of tiger issues. I highly recommend a clean install whenever you install a major 10.x update.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
radiantmark said:
Also did you do an upgrade or clean install? Every person I know who did an upgrade had tons of tiger issues. I highly recommend a clean install whenever you install a major 10.x update.

i did an archive and install and i think tiger has only frozen up on me less than 10 times since i bought it on launch date

that was because of a major itunes problem i had.

reinstalled the os and no more problems!

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
radiantmark said:

I hear this frequently, but I upgraded to Tiger on my PB G4 and my iMac G5 - no problems on either

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Unfortunately, I have to say I've had more flaming, hard-boot crashes (not kernel panics) in Tiger than in any version of OS X since 10.1. Tiger, like previous OS X versions, continues to have a really hard time dealing with network volumes it's looking for when they disappear for whatever reason. This includes remote Macs, PCs, iDisks, ftp volumes. Sometimes it'll spin its wheels for a minute looking and snap out of it, sometimes it's time to relaunch Finder or reboot. I'm also having a lot more waking up from sleep issues than I used to get with Panther (sometimes resulting in me having to reboot). Bear in mind I get these troubles on two clean installs of 10.4 (now 10.4.3), one on a dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac, the other an 800 MHz G4 PowerBook. Tiger has some promising technologies, but I'm not too impressed with the stability so far (and I'm keeping my widgets to a bare minimum, as many of them tend to increase instability).

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I've had quite a few crashes as well, but it's too be expected. I always dread just kind of being in the middle of something and then seeing the dreaded "grey curtain" drop from the sky of OS X.

You can kind of tell when it's going to happen though...its when things seem to be working too well.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I am always plugging things in, my phone, bluetooth mouse, a powermate, external harddrive, ipods. i've had 10.4 crash once on me since it came out. 10.4.3 seems to have made my sleep issues go away. occassionally it would take about 20 seconds for it to go into sleep, it hasn't done it since i updated to 10.4.3. i'm extremely happy with 10.4, really no big issues here at all.

usingautumn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Applespider said:
The k750i one is a known bug. It's to do with the phone not being listed in the appropriate kext file or something.

Here's the fix

I'm not getting crashes from this - I assume that you're ejecting the USB/FW drives before you take em out? Do you have an iSight plugged in when you're removing FW drives? I believe that can cause problems.

thanks for that link, hopefully that will sort out my problem with the k750i

yeah i always make sure i eject stuff, no i don't have isight. theres no eject from my audio interface though so i guess its ok to just plug it out. however recently its behaving itself so fingers crossed.

thanks for your help.

usingautumn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
radiantmark said:

i did a clean install of tiger 10.4.1 then from there applied the patches.

on another note. safari crashes on load since 10.4.1 it's not a major thing because i use firefox but sometimes its nice to have safari to test pages in.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
10.4.2 was as sturdy as a rock, I had an uptime of 20 days at one point.

The recent system update seems a bit mushy. Yesterday Finder just died on me and I had to hold the power button and restart.

It's very depressing when your computer is acting up. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.