Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
Has anyone seen the new advanced search function in Tiger?

search.jpg

From what I understand the new features are:
  • The new smart folder on the left
  • Search Criteria (Kind: Images, Color Space: CMYK)
  • Search Area (Folder "Documents", Home, Everywhere)
  • Save as smart folder (Save button top right)

In addition to searching by colour space you can search by orientation.

screa.jpg

Jimmni

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Selective Search?

Anyone else find that Spotlight doesn't actually search the whole hard disk, even if you've selected "Everywhere" in the Finder? Whatever I try it simply refuses to search certain folders, such as:

/Library
~/Library
/Developer

Weird?

Jimmni

stoid

macrumors 601
Jimmni said:
Anyone else find that Spotlight doesn't actually search the whole hard disk, even if you've selected "Everywhere" in the Finder? Whatever I try it simply refuses to search certain folders, such as:

/Library
~/Library
/Developer

Weird?

Jimmni

I think that is set up to keep the average user out of trouble. If it starts popping up results from system folders and your Joe Blow user says, "Hey, I didn't create that! In the Trash you go!!" you've got a problem. Also, it takes the fun out of the "Look at this obscure resource, future product?" threads.

JohnsonMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
stoid said:
I think that is set up to keep the average user out of trouble. If it starts popping up results from system folders and your Joe Blow user says, "Hey, I didn't create that! In the Trash you go!!" you've got a problem. Also, it takes the fun out of the "Look at this obscure resource, future product?" threads.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't stay in though. I understand that they might do it for this reason, but if I select everywhere, I want it to search everywhere. Another option to go in the finder/spotlight prefs perhaps "I'm an advanced user, don't hide my files".

johnpg

macrumors member
May 21, 2002
Wardofsky said:
Has anyone seen the new advanced search function in Tiger?
The WWDC preview doesn't have these features. It's much more limiting. But it appears that Steve's copy did, so I suspect we'll hear more about it when Apple releases a new seed.

Where did you get the hi-res shots of that build?

Cheers,
John

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
johnpg said:
Where did you get the hi-res shots of that build?

Bond voice: If I told you, I'd have to killyou...

Lets just say a friend in Apple lent them to me ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.