Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I think that a Jan 2005 release is *highly* unlikely. I think that "first half of 2005" was quoted to give them breathing room to make a really solid release but that the real target release is for March/April...those getting their hopes up for January are setting themselves up for disappointment.....oh yeah!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
They might give a release date, but I doubt even that. I know a developer who has the latest build, and it's close, but not close enough. They better not release it as is. Besides, we would have heard more by now about it going final or whatever.

And for anyone who's worried about it not working on anything, don't worry. It will work just fine on any G4 or G5, and a lot of G3s. I've seen it run just fine on a last Gen iBook. Some of the more whiz-bang effects are scaled back depending on your system, but the OS itself works just fine.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
sorryiwasdreami said:
Wouldn't it be awesome for announcements of iWork '05, iMac Mini, AND Tiger all at once?

Nah... too many "Just one more things..." for Steve Jobs. :)

bux

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2004
Sweden
I would be VERY surprised if it got released this month.
Well, I can say that I know it won't be released this month since there are a lot of bugs left to kill.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
If Apple release tiger on the 10th, then they will be releasing a beta quality OS to the public.

I am a developer and have access to the latest seeds, but there is NO way Tiger is ready for the public.

Nononono that is just sooo wrong. I actually hope they take their time on Tiger and make it as good as possible. Tiger hasn't even been feature-frozen yet.

Not a chance it's coming out on the 10th. If it does, I'll give back my ADC account :p lol

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Yeah, it is no where near polished. Some really big things aren't working, it's just not ready. Furthermore, Apple hasn't increases their build releases yet. Usually right before a GM (gold master) build, there's a flurry of new builds in the upcoming weeks. That hasn't happened at all. If I had to guess the timing, I'd say either March 24th, more likely April 24th, possibly May 24th, and very mean June 24th.
-Chase

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Logik said:
umm... let's try to explain this... X is a major major revision.. 10.0 (major revision) 10.1 (Major Revision) 10.1.1 (minor revision) 10.2 (major revision), 10.3 (major revision) 10.4 (major revision)... etc..

Having ridden the roller coaster of OS X releases up 'til 10.3.7, I'd rather consider an alternative rendering of the releases as follows:
10.0 (beta release) 10.1 (beta revision) 10.1.1 (beta revision 10.2 (first major release), 10.3 (2nd major revision). So, why not put a 10.4 beta out there and invite a scope of feedback which would not be elitest or exclusive?

Secondly, there is more talk of an imminent release of iWork '05 or perhaps iBiz '05 (Sugar) which would include Keynote 2.0 as part of the bundle. I would be very dissappointed to see this happen although it sounds like a done deal. I wanted to see Keynote stand up and flex as a viable, stand alone application.
X

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Steve Jobs say, "One more thing?" and the curtains pull apart from behind him on the state and he lets a Tiger loose into the crowd at the Keynote. ;) :)

The surprise is that Steve Jobs has lost his mind to do such a stunt that he is thrown in prison and fired from Apple. :)

The scenario above is least likely to happen as is the release of 10.4 at MWSF 2005. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
xsedrinam said:
Having ridden the roller coaster of OS X releases up 'til 10.3.7, I'd rather consider an alternative rendering of the releases as follows:
10.0 (beta release) 10.1 (beta revision) 10.1.1 (beta revision 10.2 (first major release), 10.3 (2nd major revision). So, why not put a 10.4 beta out there and invite a scope of feedback which would not be elitest or exclusive?

Secondly, there is more talk of an imminent release of iWork '05 or perhaps iBiz '05 (Sugar) which would include Keynote 2.0 as part of the bundle. I would be very dissappointed to see this happen although it sounds like a done deal. I wanted to see Keynote stand up and flex as a viable, stand alone application.
X

Lets see, because patents and copyrights are not issued overnight and testing takes a lot of time and the last thing Apple needs is a class action law suite for releasing a beta version for unsuspecting consumers even if it said beta on the package people do not read and will do whatever they want. That is why, last thing Apple needs is for its trade secrets to be copied by other OS makers. :)

thexmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Safari

That's why you will never see the official release of Safari 1.3!

You'll see Safari 2.0 next week! :rolleyes:

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Tiger in 05

Apple has stated that Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005. In Apple-speak that most likely means June.
Since Panther is stable, and there doesn't appear to be any hardware that would require Tiger, there is no rush to release 10.4 other than meeting profit goals.
I'll upgrade when it comes out, but there is nothing "must-have" about 10.4. Panther rocks!

BTW: I think that the new $499 Mac will be called "iWork."
BTW:BTW: I think Duffman's a hoot. Oh Yeah!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Take it for what it's worth...

But a bunch of Tiger related books have ship dates of late March, which makes sense.

thrillz3

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2004
m a y a said:
Steve Jobs say, "One more thing?" and the curtains pull apart from behind him on the state and he lets a Tiger loose into the crowd at the Keynote. ;) :)

The surprise is that Steve Jobs has lost his mind to do such a stunt that he is thrown in prison and fired from Apple. :)

The scenario above is least likely to happen as is the release of 10.4 at MWSF 2005. :)

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post...you would have owed me a keyboard. :)

I'm with the "not a chance" crew.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Could this be a hint?

I just happen to get to the Mac OS X Product Page

Have a look at the tab. This fury design is not Panther-like. Is this a left-over from the Jaguar Days? But I doubt it because I'm sure I have been on this page before. I can't imagine not noticing that fury tab when all other tabs in Mac OS X section are brushed metal. Or is it a hint that Tiger might be announced soon?

Link:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/products/

Edit: On the Swiss German Apple site it looks like it should look:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 133

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...those tabs perfectly match the graphics on my 10.2 (Jaguar) box...so yes, I would say they are remnants from those days and have nothing to do with 10.4......nothing to see here....oh yeah!

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...those tabs perfectly match the graphics on my 10.2 (Jaguar) box...so yes, I would say they are remnants from those days and have nothing to do with 10.4......nothing to see here....oh yeah!

Yeah, but Office 2004 did not exist during the days of Jaguar neither did FileMaker 7. Why would they use an old design when all the other pages were changed when Panther came out?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
This was reported by Engadget over a month ago. It's something new to the site, so I took a look at the source code. Because of the way Apple names things on their servers, we can indeed confirm that this is the same pattern they used in the Jaguar days. However, this is a new addition to their site.

This makes me wonder if they'll be using the same menu bar pattern that they used with Jaguar. Frankly, I think they should use the menu bar pattern that appears in Mac OS X Tiger (those of you that have seen it know what I'm talking about).
-Chase

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Zaty said:
Yeah, but Office 2004 did not exist during the days of Jaguar neither did FileMaker 7. Why would they use an old design when all the other pages were changed when Panther came out?
Duff-Man says....I think you are grasping at straws....is Steve going to talk about Tiger at MWSF - yes, of course he will....will he announce a release date - the chances are extremely slim - they are not going to announce a release when it has not even begun its proper beta cycle......oh yeah!

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....I think you are grasping at straws....is Steve going to talk about Tiger at MWSF - yes, of course he will....will he announce a release date - the chances are extremely slim - they are not going to announce a release when it has not even begun its proper beta cycle......oh yeah!

Actually, I'm not. I never believed Tiger would be announced anytime soon. But when I noticed those tabs, I thought I could have been wrong. But probably I wasn't. :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Littleodie914 said:
Hah, yea. And I've heard that a few components of Longhorn, like that new file system format or whatever it is, won't be done until 2007, and might not be included in the first version(s) of the OS. :eek:

Good news for Apple! ;) :D

WinFS, Microsoft's version of Spotlight. They're doing such a bad job of making it that they're going to ship it without it. They're also going to be ripping out some bits of Avalon (MS's version of Quartz Extreme and CoreImage/Video). So we'll see if we get the 3d desktop they promised ;)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
January? No way. I'm thinking late March or April. The builds just haven't progressed that fast. I don't even think Steve will announce a ship date, yet. He may demo some new Tiger features though.

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I'd except a demo of the features... again :(... and possibly a release date...

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I had the beta running on my Powermac G3 sometime back. Ran pretty smoothly. For a 350 MHz G3. But, it did have 512 MB of RAM, so I dunno. Of course, I havent really used any faster of a mac. I'm broke. ^-^

Oh, btw, Tiger requires a Mac with Firewire. So say bye bye to running Tiger on anything lower than the 400 MHz iMac. As the Tray-loaders and the 350 MHz slot-loader dont have Firewire. *watchs the price of the 233/266/333/350 MHz iMacs price hit rock-bottom*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.