Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8bitkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
Hi there,

I've got a small issue with my 12" powerbook. I have 10.3.9 installed on it, but recently managed to get a hold of Tiger to upgrade it. Once restarting and choosing my language the installation said 'tiger cannot be installed on this system'.

I googled about to see what could be the issue and found nothing on why this wouldn't work.

I have a DVD Drive, I have a firewire port, I even have 10.3.9 - which i assume should be the right firmware to upgrade from.

Is there any reason why it would be doing this?

Cheers!

8bitkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
How rude. Yup, legit copy =)

I have 28gb avaliable of 40.

I assume that's far enough? heh

8bitkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
Not sure what you mean by what format, how would I find that out?

I just did a fresh install of panther again, to see if that was the issue. Same thing.

I'm using my step-dad's CD...which is labelled 'iMac G5 - Mac OS X Install Disc 1'.

Would it matter that it's an iMac CD?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
8bitkid said:
Not sure what you mean by what format, how would I find that out?

I just did a fresh install of panther again, to see if that was the issue. Same thing.

I'm using my step-dad's CD...which is labelled 'iMac G5 - Mac OS X Install Disc 1'.

Would it matter that it's an iMac CD?
there's your problem. you need to "get a hold of" a retail copy of tiger.

8bitkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
Ah, my bad. I thought they were all the same thing.

Cheers for the info =)

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
You must pay for each license of Tiger which is why they won't let you load your 'Dad's copy'. That copy isn't legit for your computer - you didn't pay for it... or else buy a family pack for Tiger (I think you get 5 licenses).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
fartheststar said:
You must pay for each license of Tiger which is why they won't let you load your 'Dad's copy'. That copy isn't legit for your computer - you didn't pay for it... or else buy a family pack for Tiger (I think you get 5 licenses).

Indeed but it would probably allow you to install it on another iMac, maybe even an older machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.