Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clashbakk8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Okay, my cousin has a Powerbook G4 Dual Processor, and he just purchased Tiger, and it's not installing. Any advice on this issue?

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
clashbakk8 said:
Okay, my cousin has a Powerbook G4 Dual Processor, and he just purchased Tiger, and it's not installing. Any advice on this issue?

firstly there is no such thing as a dual processor powerbook, so you must mean powermac, and what happens when you try to install it? does it not read the disk, does it quit the installer? what happens?

clashbakk8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Basically, it checks the disk, tries to verify the destination, then says that errors have occurred and it stops.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Sounds like the problem my teacher had with his Powerbook. It could be many different reasons why it won't install:
1. Its a burned copy of Tiger or a copy of Tiger that came from a PowerMac G5 - these won't work. They have special coding so that you can't just install it on whatever you want.
2. You are having logic board problems - logic board problems will affect whether or not it will install.
3. Bad drive(s) - very rare, but still may not install. - Usually related to logic board.
4. Processor upgrade cards - Tiger will not install with certain upgrade cards.
5. Bad RAM - RAM is very important, try removing any new ram that has been installed.
6. Not enough hard drive space to install or needs to be formatted. I'm looking more towards #1 or #6.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
try repairing permissions. If this doesn't work you'll have to do a clean install so back everything up. I just dealt with this 2 weeks ago with a TiBook.

All is well now...

But this is if the following is not true:

Its a burned copy of Tiger or a copy of Tiger that came from a PowerMac G5 - these won't work. They have special coding so that you can't just install it on whatever you want.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Inspector Lee said:
try repairing permissions. If this doesn't work you'll have to do a clean install so back everything up. I just dealt with this 2 weeks ago with a TiBook.

All is well now...

But this is if the following is not true:

Actually I do know #1 for a fact, how so? When we got new G5's at my school, we tried to install it on my teacher's Powerbook G4, when it went to install it on the hard drive, it told him it could not install because of an error. He then ordered Tiger and when he received it, it installed. The G5 CD's (system restore CD's) have a special encoding on them so that no one can just take and install.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
slooksterPSV said:
The G5 CD's (system restore CD's) have a special encoding on them so that no one can just take and install.

Yes. It has been this way since 10.2 i believe.

Edit---OOOPS!
i thought i was responding to the original poster.... my bad!

<faintember=looks like a fool!>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.