Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfury90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I got a copy of Tiger (NO, I'm not telling where I got it) yesterday. I can not get it to install on my G5, rather it kernel panics on bootup from the DVD with a PowerMac7,2 no drivers error. is there a way around this?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
get an external, and don't run this as your main os, it seems like you where, but it isn't even near beta or rather seeding for adc.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Benjamin said:
get an external, and don't run this as your main os, it seems like you where, but it isn't even near beta or rather seeding for adc.

I though this version of Tiger was a really early beta version. Am I wrong?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
musicpyrite said:
I though this version of Tiger was a really early beta version. Am I wrong?

well... i don't think apple says a version is beta till adc starts seeding for beta testing and bug fixing. the version at wwdc that devs got was not even the show that steve showed which is probably an early beta, so at best i suspect is an alpha or pre alpha. Of course i don't work for apple just speculating on how jaguar and panther where built. If anyone has a press release about saying that the preview is not the Tiger preivew but the Tiger beta preivew url me.

wi04k

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2004
I had the same problem, and this is how it works:

you need a clean formatted partition. boot in panther. on the tiger dvd, open /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg. Choose to install on your clean partition. Voilà. It installs your tiger just like it should. This worked perfectly for me.

have fun.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
wi04k said:
I had the same problem, and this is how it works:

you need a clean formatted partition. boot in panther. on the tiger dvd, open /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg. Choose to install on your clean partition. Voilà. It installs your tiger just like it should. This worked perfectly for me.

have fun.

Yea, I did something like that. (since I don't have a DVD burner) I tryed to use Carbon Copy Clone to clone the disk image to my hard drive, then I boot off of that and intall Tiger on my external HD. That didn't work, so while in Panther, I opened OSInstall.mpkg and installed it onto my external HD while watching a movie. And the install only took 40-45 minuts on a 4200 RPM FireWire 400 10 GB drive. And I'm typing to you now from Tiger.

And I've had one kernel panick in the first 10 hours using Tiger. (pokes on wood)

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
get the original DVD ;)

j/k. well actually, sort of. if you could find the donor for your copy, you'd do well to ask to borrow it to install off of that. sounds like apple might have gotten a little tricky with some sort of copy protection or something... it sounds like everyone with a burned copy is having major issues unless they put it on an external drive first.

best of luck (even though i don't agree w/the ethical side, i'm pretty sure we're all ready for that horse to stop being beat)

texboi88

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
how do i burn 10.4 Tiger to a DVD-R, my friend got it via Bit Torrent, and it might be the WWCD Preview, but i am not sure... how do i burn it via Roxio Toast??

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
first a question,

1. what version of tiger? is it 8A268 or 8A294 or the early WWDC version?

If you have an image file DO NOT...that is DO NOT burn using TOAST. You need to burn the image using disc utility in order to install it. I put 8A294 on my internal drive of my 17" PB, and have been running it since the date of seeding, and it runs pretty much great. There are a few hiccups, such as pro-apps dont work and iSync doesnt seem to discover my phone, but other then that for the most part its great.

I WOULD NOT recommend doing this unless you know what you are doing, that being said - its alway real cool to sit inclass beside another mac geek and bust out Dashboard :D

8A294 is the most recent seed, for any1 who was wondering

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i ran it off the dvd onto my ibook and it runs great never had a kernel panic, i have the first seed as i don't want to change it as it's stable. :cool:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
texboi88 said:
how do i burn 10.4 Tiger to a DVD-R, my friend got it via Bit Torrent, and it might be the WWCD Preview, but i am not sure... how do i burn it via Roxio Toast??

We don't usually tell people here how to pirate software, Tiger included. If you do, great, but if you hit an error and need help because your mac is on the fritz, well... you aren't a developer and we don't know because we are not using the betas or even alphas.

And I have no clue how to do this anyway.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Mechcozmo said:
We don't usually tell people here how to pirate software, Tiger included. If you do, great, but if you hit an error and need help because your mac is on the fritz, well... you aren't a developer and we don't know because we are not using the betas or even alphas.

And I have no clue how to do this anyway.

You cant burn using toast - use Disc Utility man!

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
techfury90 said:
I got a copy of Tiger (NO, I'm not telling where I got it) yesterday. I can not get it to install on my G5, rather it kernel panics on bootup from the DVD with a PowerMac7,2 no drivers error. is there a way around this?

I don't pretend to know how to install Tiger since I've never touched it. But if it is anything like previous Mac OS X versions, this FAQ probably applies:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

And with external Firewire drives going for $200 at OWC there is no excuse for not having one. If nothing else for having a nice mirror backup of your system in case something goes wrong. You can partition it to have one partition for your backup, and the other for Tiger testing.

OWC is at http://www.macsales.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.