Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Anyone know if i wud be able to use tiger on my 12" ibook g4 (800), ive heard of some of the leaked versions or beta versions running slow so i wondered if the full version would run ok or shud i just stick to panther?
btw im new to macs so if thats a stupid question plz b patient

thanks nigel

nifty_nigel10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
so its just the early beta versions that ppl on these boards have as "previews" might not b up to scratch with all apple machines, right?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
I have tiger on my iBook 12" 800 and it is much faster than panther. Xbench scored are up from 70s to 90s.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the beta runs like crap on some macs and is smooth as glass on others it is a beta, apple has not tested it on every mac thougherly or even at all that is why it was given out (other than for developing for the developers) it was given out so that developers can send in bug reports.

i'm useing 10.4 on my ibook and i currently have only two problems that the shades of white in the top right corner of my menu bar are all messed up (and the tabs on mac rumors are all scrunched up) and all my games run slow (and halo has all these weird screen artifacts) otherwise it's great, i hanvent had a crash or a kernal panic and i've been useing it for over a week.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
yes, you will be able to run tiger in your ibook. you will NOT however be able to take advantage of the new core technologies, because your laptop doesn't have supported video card. those effects will be scaled down for you..

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
even on my 600MHz g3 ibook it looks nice and good not nearly as plain as a non quartz extreme mac looks there are some nice effects like the clock spining and the way that the dashboard dissapears, dont worry about it.

now to get a core image card into my g4 cube 9800 or bust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.