Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blimundus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
If I buy a Macbook Pro, will that give me the right/ability to upgrade my old (Intel) iMac from Tiger to the OS X version that comes with the Macbook Pro? Or will I still need to buy a separate license for my iMac?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The install discs that come with Macs are model-specific. They cannot be used on different models. You can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

blimundus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the info.

My iMac still runs Tiger because I run Ubuntu almost exclusively anyway. However, I started thinking about getting an iPad, and it seems that you either need a Windows computer (which I do not have) or Snow Leopard to activate/sync an iPad.

I could just pay 129 euros for a Snow Leopard license, but that would just feel like a markup on top of the price of an iPad for no reason.

That's why I started thinking about getting a Macbook Pro or Air.

I would probably not run Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro or Air. On a desktop, I very much prefer Ubuntu over OS X. However, on a laptop, the advantages of OS X (battery life, hardware support etc) are much more important than on a desktop. Maybe I would use some virtualisation to run specific linux programmes.

Based on the above, I guess I don't care that much that I would not upgrade to Snow Leopard on my iMac...

Another (minimalistic) option is to activate the iPad in the store and not sync it to a computer...

Oh well. No iPad for me. I'll have another look when there are new Macbook Airs, and when Lion comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.