Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I am sorry that I have to ask this here....I never get successful search result using the search at the top and I am on 36k connection right now which feels so slow from my 3Mbs/300kbs connection at home.

When is the "expected" release date for Tiger? When do they normally release their OS?
Just give me an educated guess from speculations made here and there.
Thx in advance.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
SolidGun said:
I am sorry that I have to ask this here....I never get successful search result using the search at the top and I am on 36k connection right now which feels so slow from my 3Mbs/300kbs connection at home.

When is the "expected" release date for Tiger? When do they normally release their OS?
Just give me an educated guess from speculations made here and there.
Thx in advance.

apple normally (as far as i know) does the initial announcment at the wwdc. Panther was released in oct, but tiger wont be out till first part of 2005. I am guessing this is part of apple's plan to slow down with the yearly os releases and spend good clean time on making their os even better....instead of cramming it all in 1 year.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Tiger is going to come out between january and june of 05, i would expect it to be closer to june so everything can be tweaked and hyped up, ect

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....there is no "normal" time for a major upgrade - they release when it is ready. They said 10.4 would be out in the "first half" of 2005 which suggests to me they are aiming for march/april but are giving themselves a bit of leeway in case things don't go as planned. I suspect we will here much more about it at MWSF in January and if they've made enough progress by then perhaps even an announcement of that March/April shipping date...oh yeah!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I agree that we should learn about the actual release date "Tiger" 10.4 during Steve's Keynote at MWSF, January '05. Other than that is is all speculation, as mentioned the last word was the first half of '05.

keyhorndude

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2004
I really hope that it doesn't take until 2005 for Apple to release Tiger. I have iBook G# and I really want to upgrade to one of the new G4 iBooks but i dont want Tiger to come out right after i buy it. I am planning on waiting for tiger to come out. I thought that Aplpe meant that they were going to start slowing down their releases after Tiger. this is my hope, and maybe (hopefully) Tiger will be released on or soon after Oct. 4th, the target release date usually set for OS X's.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
keyhorndude said:
I really hope that it doesn't take until 2005 for Apple to release Tiger. I have iBook G# and I really want to upgrade to one of the new G4 iBooks but i dont want Tiger to come out right after i buy it. I am planning on waiting for tiger to come out. I thought that Aplpe meant that they were going to start slowing down their releases after Tiger. this is my hope, and maybe (hopefully) Tiger will be released on or soon after Oct. 4th, the target release date usually set for OS X's.

actually os x is released all over the year, just look at cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther and public beta release dates...all differnet. Everyone really needs to get over this "we must get a release every year" attitude. Apple can and WILL take longer to release upgrades from this point forward. They know that the latest upgrades have been lacking. Just look at the upgrade from puma to jaguar. That was a HUGE difference in virtually everything. And now look at jag to panther, or panther to tiger. You will see what im talking about.

Apple unlike most other companies (especially microsoft) does not generally lie about release dates (generally speaking....powermacs dont count :p ). When apple says it will be released in a certain time frame most likely it will be. For all we know apple might find some huge @$$ holes in os x that need to be fixed and that could delay the tiger release...who knows?

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Jaguar to Panther (to Tiger)

Having started out with Jaguar and just moved to Panther, I see a heck of a lot of improvements across the board: everything from a smoother looking user interface to Expose (the main reason I bought a Mac in the first place), built-in and supported X11 window system (for running my beloved OpenOffice.org), etc.

From my standpoint, having been aware of MacOS X since it first came out but not owning a Mac until this summer, I see the situation as: this was a completely new system for Apple, a huge departure from their "classic" MacOS. It took a couple of releases to iron out not only the bugs but their own concepts of how the OS should look and function. 10.2 (Jaguar) was the first "truly stable" release of what began in 10.0. It had been fixed and tweaked and optimized to make it run well on a wide range of systems. I see Panther (10.3) as the first "major upgrade" to the stable base, filled with lots of usability enhancements, visual improvements (eye candy), and incredible new technologies (sorry but regular old Cmd-Tab task switchers just don't cut it anymore).

Tiger looks to be an improvement but mostly under the hood -- developer technologies like CoreImage and CoreVideo for example, plus general improvements in the bundled programs. But now that I'm up to the Panther level, I have much less anxiety about when Tiger will be released. I'm really quite happy with 10.3.5; it's got everything that I got into the Mac world for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.