Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
The main use of my iMac G4 is typing. On my main computer however, I'm used to inserting various special characters on the fly by typing something specific; Global macros were created in the usual System Preferences ➜ Keyboard ➜ Text, but I also have app-specific macros that I created in BetterTouchTool, for example the number pad keys insert special characters when in TextEdit, but not in other apps.

I find myself feeling a little bit lost when I don't have these handy things on the G4 because Tiger didn't have that text replacement feature just yet. It's a really simple principle though, so I wonder if there's any software workarounds that would allow replicating that behavior? Either a global menu bar app, or a standalone text editor that supports this feature (and of course, works on a PPC Tiger). I'd like to avoid bloated and visually overwhelming text editors if at all possible, because I typically do this in plain text.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
TextExpander has an old version for Tiger. Whether you can get a license key for it, I don't know. Would it do what you are looking for?

Thank you, I'll test this one! If it's ideal, I'll find out about the license key and for reference, report here how it turned out. Slightly worried about the fact that it's taken on this current trend of "renting" the app rather than allowing you to buy and keep it. I hope that it's just for the current version where paying for ongoing support technically makes sense.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
"Unfortunately, we aren't able to provide licenses for the older versions of TextExpander any longer. We still provide the download links for anyone who already has a license but cannot issue new licenses for the PowerPC version."

Ahhhh. Of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.