Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I have automatic downloads switched off, and as far as I remember, I have never had TikTok installed on my phone. But today I noticed that it installed itself. I removed it from the phone, but I'm wondering how an app can install itself. Thanks.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
when you open your account in the App Store and tap on Purchased you will see all apps in chronological order of installation. The date of installation is given under the app name in the list. Maybe knowing when it was installed, will help to hypothesize what happened.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I’ve never installed TikTok. I also don’t have auto download turned on. Yet, the app is now installed on my phone. Just happened within the past 20 mins. Wtf?!

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’ve never installed TikTok. I also don’t have auto download turned on. Yet, the app is now installed on my phone. Just happened within the past 20 mins. Wtf?!
Do you have any other iOS devices using the same AppleID? If so, has it been installed on them as well? Are there any other people using your device?
Jalilbreaked device? What OS version you using? Phone that's managed, such as a workphone?

Last edited:
Reactions: 960design

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I have automatic downloads switched off, and as far as I remember, I have never had TikTok installed on my phone. But today I noticed that it installed itself. I removed it from the phone, but I'm wondering how an app can install itself. Thanks.
Did you ever figure out why this happened?

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Do you have any other iOS devices using the same AppleID? If so, has it been installed on them as well? Are there any other people using your device?
Jalilbreaked device? What OS version you using? Phone that's managed, such as a workphone?

iPad. Haven’t checked. I’ll check later today. No other people use my devices, and nobody in my home would use TikTok.

Not jailbroken - just ever. iOS 17.0.3. Personal phone.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
iPad. Haven’t checked. I’ll check later today. No other people use my devices, and nobody in my home would use TikTok.

Not jailbroken - just ever. iOS 17.0.3. Personal phone.
Also check if your Mac if you are using the same Apple ID.
Check app store as @Slartibart mentioned above. Check what devices you have connected to your apple ID, anythingf unusual? 2FA activated on your appleID?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Not possible unless your device has been hacked or the app added to your account on another device, or one linked to your Apple ID.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Also check if your Mac if you are using the same Apple ID.
Check app store as @Slartibart mentioned above. Check what devices you have connected to your apple ID, anythingf unusual? 2FA activated on your appleID?
Yeah, nothing on any of my devices. Like I said, I would NEVER install TikTok. I fundamentally oppose its existence. That’s why I was so shocked!

JonaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
You can do a personal data download request from Apple which will have quite a lot of data in about Apps on your account and might help ?

Reactions: 960design

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
There is also the possibility that someone using the device installed the app or the OP had a couple of drinks and installed the app. Very difficult to imaging an Apple iOS device spontaneously installing an app.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
i genuinely dont understand your answer here. How can it show you nothing, but tell you that you deleted it?

its either in your purchased list or its not.
Been lurking on this thread, and honestly, I get the impression OP did not understand the instruction to check the Purchased list.

OP, you want to go into the App Store, then tap on the picture of you in the upper right corner, then tap Purchased, then My Purchases. See where/when TikTok shows up in that list.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
i genuinely dont understand your answer here. How can it show you nothing, but tell you that you deleted it?

its either in your purchased list or its not.
Sorry. My reply was confusing. What I mean is that I’ve never downloaded it, nobody else has ever handled my phone, it wasn’t there before until it was. I saw it because it popped up on my last screen to the right where there are only two app icons. And I used one of those that morning. Then later, Tik Tok appeared right next to it.

I know you guys don’t believe it, and I understand you don’t know me. All I can say is that I would NEVER install TikTok (I won’t even follow links to videos my friends send me because I refuse to use it, web OR app). So I don’t know if it piggybacked on another app or something, because I’d have to approve a new download. I’m baffled.

eta: So there’s no confusion, I’m NOT the OP. I’m another user experiencing the same. I found this thread while googling “TikTok app install without downloading “ or something to that effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.