Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Not sure why you're arguing this point, when numerous people have shown the ability to lose large fortunes quite easily. Just because you have no desire to blow money at the rate that others do is not evidence that it can't be done.

As an aside, you do realize that many of the most successful sports teams on the field are also some of the biggest money losers, right? Sure, they bring in a lot of revenue, but it gets spent, and then some.

What I'm saying is it is hard to spend money being reasonable. Anyone can just buy 10s or 100s of something and not use it. Or donate it all. That's not what I'm debating here.

There's only so many cars you can buy and drive and want to maintain. After a certain point, you are just collecting and never using. There's only so many homes you can buy before you just don't even show up for over a year.

Get what I'm saying now? It's very hard to spend money after a certain point.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
What I'm saying is it is hard to spend money being reasonable. Anyone can just buy 10s or 100s of something and not use it. Or donate it all. That's not what I'm debating here.

There's only so many cars you can buy and drive and want to maintain. After a certain point, you are just collecting and never using. There's only so many homes you can buy before you just don't even show up for over a year.

Get what I'm saying now? It's very hard to spend money after a certain point.

I didn't say it wouldn't be a feat to blow tens of millions of dollars. But your original post stated that it wasn't possible. The facts have disproven that time and time again. One of many examples below:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...e-blow-through-an-150-million-dollar-fortune/

Keep in mind that, quite often peoples' idea of "normal" becomes very skewed the more money they make. I tried to use myself as an example. I often buy things now, without even thinking twice about it that I would have never even thought about buying back when I made 1/5 as much as I do now.

Who knows? Maybe you'd be like Sam Walton, and keep driving a 20 year old pickup with billions in the bank. But that doesn't make it impossible for others to go nuts.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I didn't say it wouldn't be a feat to blow tens of millions of dollars. But your original post stated that it wasn't possible. The facts have disproven that time and time again. One of many examples below:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ar...e-blow-through-an-150-million-dollar-fortune/

Keep in mind that, quite often peoples' idea of "normal" becomes very skewed the more money they make. I tried to use myself as an example. I often buy things now, without even thinking twice about it that I would have never even thought about buying back when I made 1/5 as much as I do now.

Who knows? Maybe you'd be like Sam Walton, and keep driving a 20 year old pickup with billions in the bank. But that doesn't make it impossible for others to go nuts.

I'll loan you 500 billion. You have 15 minutes to spend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.