Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This couldn’t be further from the truth. The SLA isn’t giving me any rights I’m already owed.

It’s exhaustion of copyright that happens at the point of sail. The moment apple sells me x( it can be hardware or software) they lose all claim of ownership and control of any IP of that exclusive copy.

I can modify or sell it to whoever I wish

IP law has already been ruled on multiple times in EU and granted the customers more rights than the original owner.

Unless they rent it to me, or provide a limited timed licensing agreement known as leasing it will be a lifetime transfer of ownership. And time purchasing an apple, an iPhone and IT’s software are legally indistinguishable
Good luck in modifying iOS - reselling it and not ending up in jail.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Good luck in modifying iOS - reselling it and not ending up in jail.
In Case C‑13/20,the legal protection of computer programs must be interpreted as meaning that the lawful purchaser of a computer program is entitled to decompile all or part of that program in order to correct errors affecting its operation, including where the correction consists in disabling a function that is affecting the proper operation of the application of which that program forms a part.

For example, SAS vs World Programming (C‑406/10) allowed reverse engineering for interoperability. That case, also, was the court upholding the clear intention of the statute.

Moreover there was UsedSoft vs Oracle (C-128/11), allowing the resale of software licences, including the right to download the software where necessary, upon purchasing a second hand licence.

Reactions: GeoStructural

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
I am not a fan of sideloading, mostly because it's not something many less-experienced phone users want to deal with. Now, multiple app stores that operate under a common security framework, that's a different story.

(I should emphasize "less-experienced users." We posting here on MacRumors forums aren't that crowd (in general).)
Honesty with things like this I’m thick as ****. I have no clue what sideloading even is…..to me if someone asked me what sideloading is I’d say it was when I stood next to my Amazon prime delivery driver the other day and he side loaded the parcel into my hands.

Reactions: SactoGuy18

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You can’t purchase iOS and you can’t resell it separately from the iPhone….because it’s not yours. You can make modifications to iOS and then sell it with the purchased hardware.
If I modify iOS on my iPhone and then sell that iPhone, it’s sold with modifications to the software is it not?

What’s the difference to what I said?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In Case C‑13/20,the legal protection of computer programs must be interpreted as meaning that the lawful purchaser of a computer program is entitled to decompile all or part of that program in order to correct errors affecting its operation, including where the correction consists in disabling a function that is affecting the proper operation of the application of which that program forms a part.

For example, SAS vs World Programming (C‑406/10) allowed reverse engineering for interoperability. That case, also, was the court upholding the clear intention of the statute.

Moreover there was UsedSoft vs Oracle (C-128/11), allowing the resale of software licences, including the right to download the software where necessary, upon purchasing a second hand licence.
As I said. Good luck with buying a copy of IOS separately from the hardware, modifying that code and then reselling it without the hardware it was installed on. I'm pretty sure you will end up some legal actions. If that were not the case, the same type of scenario can be applied to Windows.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This couldn’t be further from the truth. The SLA isn’t giving me any rights I’m already owed.

It’s exhaustion of copyright that happens at the point of sail. The moment apple sells me x( it can be hardware or software) they lose all claim of ownership and control of any IP of that exclusive copy.

I can modify or sell it to whoever I wish

IP law has already been ruled on multiple times in EU and granted the customers more rights than the original owner.

Unless they rent it to me, or provide a limited timed licensing agreement known as leasing it will be a lifetime transfer of ownership. And time purchasing an apple, an iPhone and IT’s software are legally indistinguishable
Developers do not have an exclusive right.

Consumers by law have the right to, modify, create derivatives AND to distribute their copy to whoever they want. And in some jurisdictions( where I live) I have the right to make multiple private copies for private use

The entire snippet is legally meaningless. Users already have this right. As well that you can’t remove the legal right to a litigation, in fact larg parts of apples standard contract clauses are ether already granted in EU or just not enforceable as they break the law.

It’s all about the iOS consumers. Spotify are forbidden by contract to conclude or point to anything not related to the AppStore
The fact that you live in an unspecified EU jurisdiction and make unsupported claims about EU law doesn't make me wrong.

Copyright law in the US (which is what I was discussing) is governed by US Code Title 17. The owner of the copyright has the following exclusive rights subject to specific limitations.

You are correct that you have the right to use software that you purchased. However, you don't have the right to modify it.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It’s all about the iOS consumers. Spotify are forbidden by contract to conclude or point to anything not related to the AppStore
You're ignoring the difference between controlling the software available on your own devices and controlling the software available on your competitor's devices.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
As I said. Good luck with buying a copy of IOS separately from the hardware, modifying that code and then reselling it without the hardware it was installed on. I'm pretty sure you will end up some legal actions. If that were not the case, the same type of scenario can be applied to Windows.
I never said anything about purchasing iOS separately. You do get ownership of one copy of iOS software on (pick iOS device) and you own the same right to the hardware and software included in the purchase.

What I can’t do is make a copy of iOS, modify it and sell it AND keep the copy on my device. I would legally need to destroy Al my copies I have after I transfer ownership.

Same thing with windows, it’s a reselling rights(that’s what everyone in EU have), not redistribution right(nobody has this without consent of the rights holder to make multiple copies.
The fact that you live in an unspecified EU jurisdiction and make unsupported claims about EU law doesn't make me wrong.

Copyright law in the US (which is what I was discussing) is governed by US Code Title 17. The owner of the copyright has the following exclusive rights subject to specific limitations.

You are correct that you have the right to use software that you purchased. However, you don't have the right to modify it.
I have specified EU law that applies to every member state. I did post legal cases from EU court of justice supporting my claims. And under EU jurisdiction I have the right to modify it.

I live in Sweden where we just have even more rights.

You're ignoring the difference between controlling the software available on your own devices and controlling the software available on your competitor's devices.
Both are anti competitive. The first one is just anti consumer rights

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I have specified EU law that applies to every member state. I did post legal cases from EU court of justice supporting my claims. And under EU jurisdiction I have the right to modify it.

Great. I was discussing the US. Your personal interpretation of EU cases doesn't make me wrong.

For example, you cited UsedSoft vs Oracle which directly refutes your claims because it involves transfer of a license. Not unlicensed copies.

SAS Institute Inc v World Programming Ltd has nothing to do with making a copying and modifying software. It's about reverse engineering functionality. As you said yourself.

Top System SA v Belgian State is about fixing a bug to make properly licensed software usable.

None of these three cases support your argument.

That's certainly your opinion. But that doesn't make them "exactly" the same thing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I never said anything about purchasing iOS separately. You do get ownership of one copy of iOS software on (pick iOS device) and you own the same right to the hardware and software included in the purchase.

What I can’t do is make a copy of iOS, modify it and sell it AND keep the copy on my device. I would legally need to destroy Al my copies I have after I transfer ownership.

Same thing with windows, it’s a reselling rights(that’s what everyone in EU have), not redistribution right(nobody has this without consent of the rights holder to make multiple copies.

Nobody said you couldn't jailbreak, ie modify IOS. You made it sound as if you could download IOS, modify it and then resell it. While you believe you can download an ipsw, modify it and then resell it, I'm not sure how legal that is, even if you have a way of deleting ios from your iphone.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
It sure would be nice if the US gov cared as much about protecting consumer privacy from big business as they are about forcing Apple to allow side loading.

I mean if there were consumer protections, the whole Apple argument over user privacy melts away.

Maybe they should focus on passing that bill first.
Do you think the US government cares about protecting anyone but their own agenda?

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
After so many threads on this subject we can see:

- pirates want side loading, so developers have nothing to gain.

- young users who have no clue about security or the cyber war that is happening support it.

- smart and mature users who understand security and are reading every day about the cyber war and scams don’t want side loading

- there is an obvious troll campaign being run by cyber criminals to brainwash people to support side loading.

- only the most corrupt and ignorant politicians support side loading and these are the same politicians who have spoken about legalizing back doors and ending encryption.

- fascist dictators want access to all the insides of our devices.

These are facts.

We will not have side loading because of these threats.

If side loading comes it will be an option when you set up your phone and that option will come with a warning ‘We will not allow side loading apps to have any access to personal information/camera/mic/filesystem and if you get hacked or scammed you are on your own, we will not give you tech support, we will reduce your warranty and you can go cry in the corner on your own.’

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
After so many threads on this subject we can see:

- pirates want side loading, so developers have nothing to gain.
DRM exist
- young users who have no clue about security or the cyber war that is happening support it.
Any evidence they are have room temperature IQ? You make quite the claim
- smart and mature users who understand security and are reading every day about the cyber war and scams don’t want side loading
Stares at Steve Wozniak. Okey-dokey mom adult are children
- there is an obvious troll campaign being run by cyber criminals to brainwash people to support side loading.
It’s not brainwashing if it’s actually something people want
- only the most corrupt and ignorant politicians support side loading and these are the same politicians who have spoken about legalizing back doors and ending encryption.
With side loading people might install banned apps such as VPNs. We wouldn’t want to go against the government
- fascist dictators want access to all the insides of our devices.
They tend take your freedoms away just like you described
These are facts.
Made up fact of some who loves authoritarian rule
We will not have side loading because of these threats.

If side loading comes it will be an option when you set up your phone and that option will come with a warning ‘We will not allow side loading apps to have any access to personal information/camera/mic/filesystem and if you get hacked or scammed you are on your own, we will not give you tech support, we will reduce your warranty and you can go cry in the corner on your own.’
😂😂😂😂

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Don’t fail with your replies the way Domino’s Pizza failed in Italy.

Smart people don’t buy your excuses.
You are quite literally fear mongering. Some people want freedom and act independently. Other like you wants to be controlled and told what to do, but wants everyone to be equally controlled

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016

The EULA is unenforceable in the EU.

Once you purchase software it is yours to do with as you wish.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
You are quite literally fear mongering.

My expert statement versus your non opinion and non-expertise.

I think my one is more dependable. I have a 30 year unbroken perfect track record of knowing future trends and every multi million and multi billion dollar company who has taken my advice has done better business and improved their operational efficiency and security.

You utterly rejected the world of cyber crime, malware, spyware, murdered journalists, scams that have looted billions of dollars, ransomware that has looted billions of dollars, and the cyber attacks between super powers.

When someone reject these realities, and just call it ‘fear mongering’, one can confidentially state that:

- either they are unqualified and ignorant.

- or they are professional trolls who are paid to spread misinformation and help open the doors for more cyber attacks.

These are undeniable facts.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
My expert statement versus your non opinion and non-expertise.

I think my one is more dependable. I have a 30 year unbroken perfect track record of knowing future trends and every multi million and multi billion dollar company who has taken my advice has done better business and improved their operational efficiency and security.

You utterly rejected the world of cyber crime, malware, spyware, murdered journalists, scams that have looted billions of dollars, ransomware that has looted billions of dollars, and the cyber attacks between super powers.

When someone reject these realities, and just call it ‘fear mongering’, one can confidentially state that:

- either they are unqualified and ignorant.

- or they are professional trolls who are paid to spread misinformation and help open the doors for more cyber attacks.

These are undeniable facts.
As an expert you should surely be able to provide citations for your statements?

• Disagree
Reactions: ponzicoinbro

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
As an expert you should surely be able to provide citations for your statements?

You want how many citations for ransomware, malware, side channel attacks, impersonated apps, cyber attacks?

I can provide 100,000.

But if you haven’t noticed 100,000 items in the news in recent times then there is something deeply wrong with you.

And Tim Cook certainly has noticed these 100,000 items in the news.

Steve Jobs himself said in 2008 that unscrupulous developers were trying to hide malicious activity inside their binaries.

If you don’t know that, you need to sit back, observe, learn and be a good student of life.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
You want how many citations for ransomware, malware, side channel attacks, impersonated apps, cyber attacks?

I can provide 100,000.

But if you haven’t noticed 100,000 items in the news in recent times then there is something deeply wrong with you.

And Tim Cook certainly has noticed these 100,000 items in the news.

Steve Jobs himself said in 2008 that unscrupulous developers were trying to hide malicious activity inside their binaries.

If you don’t know that, you need to sit back, observe, learn and be a good student of life.
So you can’t provide any citations to expert sources other than what you have seen in the news?

• Disagree
Reactions: ponzicoinbro

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
So you can’t provide any citations to expert sources other than what you have seen in the news?

Yeah.

This game is ‘I want you to spend the next 15 minutes of your life to post dozens of articles and after you post the articles I will still tell you they are irrelevant.’

Don’t play this game with me.

I’ve been online since the internet began and seen it all, blin.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Yeah.

This game is ‘I want you to spend the next 15 minutes of your life to post dozens of articles and after you post the articles I will still tell you they are irrelevant.’

Don’t play this game with me.

I’ve been online since the internet began and seen it all, blin.
Nope.

You made the claim to be an expert. You have provided no citations to your claims.

Your opinion is just as reliable as any other random person. On the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.