Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Obviously the current administration does not look at security as a big deal. I mean they are perfectly OK with Hillary sending classified information un-encrypted of course they are not concerned with the rest of the populations privacy. They would be happy if encryption didn't even exist apparently. Having said that, I do think that FB and twitter and such should shut down accts spewing the Jihad crap. And before anyone starts on the freedom of speech thought save it. I am not against FOS either but some things are unacceptable and should be treated as such.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I'm torn. I don't want terrorist to attack anyone and if reading their encrypted messages saves just one innocent life then maybe.

BUT the NSA and other government organizations have proven that no one can handle all that power. Plus, as a law abiding citizen, I'd prefer no back doors to ensure my encrypted communications remained private as I'm not doing anything illegal.

You are NEVER going to be able to read terrorists encrypted communications.

Why? Open source encryption solutions have existed for 20+ years now. There are thousands of them freely available on the Internet. Forcing US companies to build security flaws into their crypto algorithms won't stop that, it will just harm Americans personal security and cause identity theft related crimes to skyrocket. You can't force the terrorists to use iPhones. They'll just use their own crypto algorithms.
[doublepost=1452695618][/doublepost]
Obviously the current administration does not look at security as a big deal. I mean they are perfectly OK with Hillary sending classified information un-encrypted of course they are not concerned with the rest of the populations privacy. They would be happy if encryption didn't even exist apparently. Having said that, I do think that FB and twitter and such should shut down accts spewing the Jihad crap. And before anyone starts on the freedom of speech thought save it. I am not against FOS either but some things are unacceptable and should be treated as such.

A third party private company screening the users using its service is not even close to the same thing as the government mandating security flaws in people's devices.

Facebook, Twitter, etc should be doing this and they should be improving their detection algorithms to find terrorists using their services. The government needs to realize they need to partner with the tech community to do things like this, not antagonize them by trying to cripple security and global American competitiveness and innovation.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice job Tim. Stand up for our privacy. The administration argument about encryption is a red herring, as the terrorists use their own home grown encryption and were long before 9/11 - the U.S. govt saying U.S. mfrs have to back door their products just makes it so the govt can spy on its citizens...the real bad guys are smart enough to go around that.

When you do have back doors though (seemingly at the behest of the government), bad things happen, like at Juniper:

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/new-di...door-raises-more-questions-about-the-company/

Reactions: Ghost31

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The results: A new mother can't bring 8 ounces of bottled breast milk on a plane, but any jackass can sneak a 5 inch blade or zip gun on a plane with little effort... as long as he is willing to wait in 2 hour security lines at the terminal.

I missed that news story. When did a '"jackass" get a zip gun through security?

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
It is really sad that a private corporation has to lecture the government about constitutional protections.
Two thoughts come to mind:
1. Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.
2. The US Constitution, and the Amendments were meant to limit government, so it's all of our jobs to keep them at bay.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Even if current encryption gets downgraded and crippled with a backdoor, the bad guys could just re-implement better encryption on their personal devices, even get new devices made in China for their purpose.

You are thinking the Chinese government would allow the manufacture of devices that could not be cracked? Perhaps, because the Chinese government is so supportive of the privacy of their own citizens?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Back doors in software/hardware won't keep us safe from anything. All it's going to do is allow the government to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to create departments and committees that track the companies and back doors and give congress something to bloviate about every election season.
This is along the lines of what I think. Plenty of people seem determined to see malice or harmful intent behind the government's desire for a back door. I personally see an attempt to do something useful, but a very misguided attempt. They'll spend millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours on something that will likely do nothing. Wasted effort. Work smarter, not just harder.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Is it theoretically possible for client 1 to server and then server to client 2 encryption and only companies use a filter provided by government to flag anything in their server?
I'm not suggesting companies should adopt this.

Yes, it's called a 'man in the middle attack,' and it's exactly what Comey has been pushing for. I'm sure that's what these meetings are about. (cf. Lynch)

It is really sad that a private corporation has to lecture the government about constitutional protections.

Well, yes, that is sad. But, I don't think they are unaware at all. It's all well planned. The question is whether Cook really is a white-knight, or just pretending.

If you have any delusion about the government's innocence, I'd suggest you check out a podcast called Congressional Dish.

I'm torn. I don't want terrorist to attack anyone and if reading their encrypted messages saves just one innocent life then maybe.

BUT the NSA and other government organizations have proven that no one can handle all that power. Plus, as a law abiding citizen, I'd prefer no back doors to ensure my encrypted communications remained private as I'm not doing anything illegal.

This is the whole point. You're *supposed to* feel torn, and each incident will hopefully push you over the edge into giving in. That's why the FBI is working so hard to supply the nuttos with weapons and such and push them to commit attacks. (In theory, they are trying to bait, and then stop them before they happen... but who knows?)

Also, of the recent attacks, the info was all right out in the open... no backdoors necessary or encryption to break, and yet they failed to protect us.

I don't see how the attorney general can claim there to be balance in the discussions around encryption and that those balanced discussions are ongoing when the privacy of citizens is constantly being eroded at the wishes of the government. Once they take something away, there is no getting it back.

They can't. It shows either A) incompetence, or B) very clever rhetoric.

This is about control , and giving yet away more civil liberties with "terrorism" as an excuse.

Bingo!

Reactions: logicstudiouser

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
...said the man who gave access to apple data and opened backdoors to apple servers for NSA in 2012. Oh wait, those are "the good guys". Right, Tim ?

Apple had the ability to give up the data - so if they didn't do so, they faced jail time

Apple didn't want to give up the data OR go to jail, but the lesser of 2 evils for them personally was to give up the data AT THAT TIME. And they were upset they had to do that.

Ever since then Apple has worked hard to encrypt everything so they'll never be stuck in that situation again. The next time the government comes a knocking, they won't be able to give up the data OR go to jail.

Why do you enjoy picking on people who are doing the right thing? If you were in Tim's shoes in 2012, would the right thing to do is spend 10+ years in jail, and not be able to fix the problem for the next time?

Last edited:
Reactions: thasan

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This idea of a government/law enforcement accessible back door is completely absurd and only exists in the minds of those who have no understanding of the underlying technology. It's ridiculous that it's even a discussion. Leave the technology to the technologists, not the politicians.

What? There are multiple key escrow schemes. You don't remember the NSA's Clipper chip?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
As a few have already commented, if Apple were to create a back door it would take 5 seconds to install software to encrypt data before sending so the back door will lead only to a brick and encrypted wall. The government really needs to think about how it goes about gathering intelligence. If they think the back door approach is their best bet, we are in trouble big time.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK

Last Friday, Tim Cook and representatives from other Silicon Valley companies met with White House officials to discuss how to counter the use of social media by terrorist groups to recruit new members. In that meeting, Cook criticized the White House for its stance on encryption, reports The Intercept.

2015-10-01-tim-cook-0019edit_wide-da972704bfb8889652c3befb6c814e3b465055f9-s1600-c85.jpg
Cook told the White House officials that the administration should "come out and say 'no backdoors'" in encryption. The Apple CEO has repeatedly said that backdoors in any sort of encryption create an opening for bad guys to access the private information of consumers.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch responded to Cook by saying a "balance" between privacy and national security was necessary, and that the balance is continually discussed and debated within the administration. Terrorists use encrypted communication apps to recruit and mobilize members, according to a White House briefing document for the meeting obtained by The Intercept.

Last February, Cook spoke about the importance of privacy and security at the White House Cybersecurity Summit. Last month, he spoke to 60 Minutes and once again reiterated Apple's stance for no backdoors in encrypted technologies and how it's important for the company to protect its users' personal information.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Tells White House to Embrace 'No Backdoors' Encryption Policy in Meeting

Look at the eyes.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Even if a federal law were passed to mandate back doors, there will always be back door free apps in other countries users can load on their devices even if side-loaded or jail broken. All this does is expose US citizens to surveillance.

We recently discovered BATFE (a Federal agency) installed surveillance cameras in Seattle reportedly to look for restauranteurs dumping cooking oil into the sewers. A couple of things. Coking oil is recyclable at a profit so they would be dumping cash. Seattle has an anti-surveillance regulation. The ATF has no jurisdiction over cooking oil and no legal basis for having surveillance in a hundred locations at all for any reason.

We live in a police state. That needs to be reversed and Cook is just one voice defending citizens from their government.

Rocketman

cite:

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archi...l-tobacco-firearms-and-grease-trail-seattle-/

Reactions: nt5672

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This right here. I have nothing to hide, but I don't trust the government. Who watches the watchers?
Our system in the USA was originally designed such that the government did not do things themselves, they only watched and regulated. But now we have social security, medicare, obamacare, etc. The government was supposed to be the watcher and not the doer. But people think that because the government promises free, they are really good guys and gals. That is simply not the case. Power corrupts. Now that government is both the doer and the watcher it will be very very hard for us to keep any level of freedom and privacy without a fight.

Now I know some consider it blasphemy to question such things as social security, medicare, etc. But there was a time when social support programs were not the governments role and they worked fine. One could walk into any hospital and get good care with no insurance. Down on your luck go to your local church or some other charity. But the government stopped or significantly reduced those programs so they could buy votes with free. Once the government can get votes by giving away free, the people will give the government complete power in order to keep the free flowing. It has happened over and over in history.

This is exactly why, for example, no judges should be appointed to the Supreme Court unless both parties agree. This is why gridlock is important. Gridlock removes power from the government. Just think about how we could have avoided WWII if there had been gridlock in Nazi Germany instead of a democratically elected ruler that use his powers to become a dictator.

Reactions: Rocketman

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I live near the San Bernardino terrorist incident. I was at the exact location the day before. The many jurisdictions were having an anti-terrorist exercise that very morning of the incident which is why so many jurisdictions and flavors of equipment responded. It was astounding.

The incident was not prevented. The perps escaped entirely. Had they simply not returned to a known location, their own home, they would not have been caught and their Phase II plan would have also happened.

The government is uber costly and totally incompetent at preventing or even responding to terrorism. All they can reasonably do is pick up the pieces afterward.

What say we adjust lottery rules to say maximum payout is $50m and after that $1m per lower tier winner. Eventually we will run out of poor, distressed terrorists and regular criminals. The current lottery would make over 1500 millionaires.

Reactions: thasan

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
. . . . Having said that, I do think that FB and twitter and such should shut down accts spewing the Jihad crap. And before anyone starts on the freedom of speech thought save it. I am not against FOS either but some things are unacceptable and should be treated as such.

That's the problem right there. Anything that is unacceptable to you should be regulated. That is not freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is standing by and watching the American Flag being burned. It is reading jihadist web sites talking about their religion. In fact, I want their web sites to be open and free. I want to know what they think and I want every one else to know what they think. People have the right to make their own choices and I am not afraid of them doing so.

The only reason to limit the visibility of the jehad crap is if you think that people are stupid and not capable of making their own good decisions.

History has seen a lot of hate, murder, beatings, etc. conducted in the name of good. We don't need to restrict what people can see or read because it is good for them. They can make their own decisions.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Don't worry about the back door when the front door is wide open. Remember the Fappening where Apple leaked customers' orifice pictures all over the internet.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Apple had the ability to give up the data - so if they didn't do so, they faced jail time

Apple didn't want to give up the data OR go to jail, but the lesser of 2 evils for them personally was to give up the data AT THAT TIME. And they were upset they had to do that.

Ever since then Apple has worked hard to encrypt everything so they'll never be stuck in that situation again. The next time the government comes a knocking, they won't be able to give up the data OR go to jail.

Why do you enjoy picking on people who are doing the right thing? If you were in Tim's shoes in 2012, would the right thing to do is spend 10+ years in jail, and not be able to fix the problem for the next time?

"Worked hard to encrypt everything", "were upset they had to do that", "they won't be able to give up the data" ? You really believe that ? I'll take you'll never read the Snowden leaks, then. Encryption is useless when talking about NSA as they are above these. Also, they ARE giving data constantly since then, as much as every other IT company as their infrastructure is trapped by NSA, with apple's agreement. You'll get shocked when you get aware of the amount of data they intercept and analyze every single day from apple and all the others. Constantly. Non stop.

NSA approached IT companies and asked to give all of their user's data as well as allowing interception of their traffic (e.g. backdoors) against US constitution. Even more, NSA was committing perjury at court about those very same actions, back then. So, the only one illegal in this case was NSA itself. This took place in 2007.

Now here's the good part; By the end of 2010, all IT companies had allowed NSA to intercept their traffic, all except apple. Apple finally gave up in 2012, and was the last IT company to allow this. Does this year ring any bells ? Yup, right after Steve passed away. It's pretty simple, really; Steve was saying no, Tim hasn't. Everything else is just marketing and PR.
[doublepost=1452711767][/doublepost]
You're forgetting the government used sealed NDA letters like they pulled on two other secure email providers, Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, etc with the risk of jail-time/treason. The guy who fought that letter was on Coast To Coast AM several times about how the legal case had to become a "John Doe" court case due to the sealed matter, if I remember the Yahoo CEO talked about the legal nightmare but their lawyers were afraid to push a court case.

NSA was in the wrong side of the law when they did that. Apple was denying NSA's interception from 2007 to 2011 (or, in other words, for as long as Steve was taking the decisions), when every other IT company had accepted by then. Apple allowed NSA's interceptions at 2012, when Tim Cook was the CEO. Also, Microsoft was the first IT company to accept this.

Tim is really a hypocrite if he pretends he is mad about this, or making efforts to stop it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.