Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
I want Tim Cook's iPhone. I do not mean the unit he is actually using today. I am not referring to the size, capacity and color that Tim Cook chose either. I mean an iPhone having the same level of quality as the one Tim Cook is using.

In anticipation of delivery of an pre-order for a Black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus, I have been reading several threads in order to have the best available criteria to evaluate the unit that Apple sent me.

I am astounded with the widely varying experiences that users are reporting. Some report having bright and clear displays while others complain of displays that are not only yellowish but less bright and sharp than the displays of the iPhones they are replacing. Some complain of hissing, static, buzzing and/or crackling noises emanating from their new iPhones while others reported having virtually silent devices. Moreover, I was dismayed at how many users reported that they were sold defective or subpar units that often had both display and noise issues.

I am certain that Tim Cook's iPhone 7 is noiseless and has the perfect display that Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, President of DisplayMate Technologies, wrote about. Did Tim Cook get a flawless iPhone by chance? Or did someone at Cupertino open at least two boxes before finding him a flawless iPhone? Perhaps Foxconn has a team that hand-picks flawless units for distribution to VIPs, key Apple executives, journalists and well-known reviewers.

Mass production will always result in defective or subpar units getting past quality control onto the hands of consumers. But judging from what I have been reading in this forum it seems that what should be the exception is becoming a common occurrence.

Chance and/or persistence should not be important factors in getting a good iPhone. Everyone who buys an iPhone should get a unit of the same level of quality as Tim Cook's without spending the considerable time and effort that is always involved in returning and replacing a smartphone. Should one not expect the best quality for $969?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Your statement is far fetched and blown out of proportion. Yes, their are sporadic issues with various devices, I.e., Yellow Screen and Hissing complaints. But your reading into a forum where complaints are going to be reported, because this is a website for discussion. What about the thousands of others who do own the iPhone 7/7 Plus, who may or may not have experienced these issues?

I have read and spoke with dozens of new iPhone 7 owners who have had no issues reference the complaints listed. I, myself, have had no issues with my new device. It is unfortunate for those who have experienced concerns, but your simply reading into a forum where it would be made aware to the mass appeal on this website.

Of course, I cannot speak for everybody, but you claiming you want Cooks iPhone is absurd. You know what I think you should learn from your ranted thread, is if your not content with your new device upon arrival, at minimum, Apple will stand behind their product and resolve the issue for you, either by replacement or refund. Apple is not perfect, even though many think so. From my experience and many around me, I couldn't be more content with the new upgrade. I can't certainly speak for everyone on this forum or non-forums alike, but take into consideration than what a defect may or may not have, which by the way, the hissing sound has not been confirmed as a defect from my gathering. The only defects reported have been through the lightning adapter and Airplane Mode concern. Which Apple acknowledged both, with one addressed.

So who is to say the hissing sound may be or not be an issue, besides an annoyance? No one. Not even you.

My advice to you, cancel your order and E-Mail Tim Cook, requesting his iPhone. I'm sure he will respond accordingly.

Last edited:

CraigGB

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Everyone who buys an iPhone should get a unit of the same level of quality as Tim Cook's without spending the considerable time and effort that is always involved in returning and replacing a smartphone. Should one not expect the best quality for $969?

Honestly I don't think so, I'm not trying to make excuses for Apple but I'm basing that on the fact it's just part of mass production and quality will differ between units, sure the iPhone is expensive but I can spend thousands on pretty much anything and quality will differ and I might get a dodgy unit, I could buy a high end monitor and it might have light bleed, a high end GPU might have coil whine, I could spend a million on a car and it will differ to the one produced before, the stitching might be slightly worse or the engine might have slight physical differences that in years will cause it to fail and the other won't, no phone will be the same as another, only one phone in the entire world will have the best screen and a different one will have the quietest hissing and a different one will have the best camera, this isn't nice for those who are obsessive on getting a perfect phone but basically there is no perfect phone and all phones will in some way be flawed, even Tim Cook's. :p

As for Tim Cook I would guess he just gets a random phone and likely doesn't care about that sort of stuff unless it's actually broken or something. (maybe he had a dodgy camera in the one he used for that football photo?) :p

Reactions: Chatter

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I want Tim Cook's iPhone. I do not mean the unit he is actually using today. I am not referring to the size, capacity and color that Tim Cook chose either. I mean an iPhone having the same level of quality as the one Tim Cook is using.

In anticipation of delivery of an pre-order for a Black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus, I have been reading several threads in order to have the best available criteria to evaluate the unit that Apple sent me.

I am astounded with the widely varying experiences that users are reporting. Some report having bright and clear displays while others complain of displays that are not only yellowish but less bright and sharp than the displays of the iPhones they are replacing. Some complain of hissing, static, buzzing and/or crackling noises emanating from their new iPhones while others reported having virtually silent devices. Moreover, I was dismayed at how many users reported that they were sold defective or subpar units that often had both display and noise issues.

I am certain that Tim Cook's iPhone 7 is noiseless and has the perfect display that Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, President of DisplayMate Technologies, wrote about. Did Tim Cook get a flawless iPhone by chance? Or did someone at Cupertino open at least two boxes before finding him a flawless iPhone? Perhaps Foxconn has a team that hand-picks flawless units for distribution to VIPs, key Apple executives, journalists and well-known reviewers.

Mass production will always result in defective or subpar units getting past quality control onto the hands of consumers. But judging from what I have been reading in this forum it seems that what should be the exception is becoming a common occurrence.

Chance and/or persistence should not be important factors in getting a good iPhone. Everyone who buys an iPhone should get a unit of the same level of quality as Tim Cook's without spending the considerable time and effort that is always involved in returning and replacing a smartphone. Should one not expect the best quality for $969?

I think you're being over dramatic and blowing things way out of proportion. I also very much doubt Tim Cook's iPhone is any different from any one else's and probably has just as much chance of having issues. The only difference is being the CEO of Apple he can probably get his replaced any time even out of warranty without any hassle.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Don't let the skewed perspective that you get online fool you. There are tens of millions of iPhones shipped, shipping, or currently in production. For every one person complaining about an issue, there are thousands whom you don't hear from who have no issues at all. But if you look hard enough, you will always find a flaw, even with Tim Cook's personal phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think you're being over dramatic and blowing things way out of proportion. I also very much doubt Tim Cook's iPhone is any different from any one else's and probably has just as much chance of having issues. The only difference is being the CEO of Apple he can probably get his replaced any time even out of warranty without any hassle.

Take a moment to look at the OP's posting history. You'll see what you're dealing with.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But judging from what I have been reading in this forum it seems that what should be the exception is becoming a common occurrence.
Judging from what I have been reading in this forum, this iPhone launch has about the same velocity of "quality control" complaints as an other launch.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Don't let the skewed perspective that you get online fool you. There are tens of millions of iPhones shipped, shipping, or currently in production. For every one person complaining about an issue, there are thousands whom you don't hear from who have no issues at all. But if you look hard enough, you will always find a flaw, even with Tim Cook's personal phone.

You make a good point. It is difficult to get an accurate perspective from a forum. To begin with, I would not expect users who are not technology enthusiasts to visit a forum unless they are facing an issue with their devices. Then, for any issue with an iPhone the truth rests somewhere between the perspective of the apologists and that of the overly critical.

Reactions: joeblow7777

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
In manufacturing even in the tightest control conditions it is impossible to make something 100% perfect that is mass produced. They rely on multiple company's to produce their product. There will always be hiccups if it is not under your own process control.

If you've ever taken probability and statistics stuff compounds.

For example, customer specification allows 1:1 million units to be defective. There are hundreds of parts to an iPhone, each can have a defective part 1:1 million (typical in six sigma), hence this would drastically increase the odds of getting a defective unit.

Apple has an awesome return and exchange policy, unlike some other companies.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Spend years mastering supply chain management, work through the elite of corporate america and then inherit the largest company in the world by market cap, then you can have Tim Cook's iPhone. Simple as that.

Reactions: aristobrat

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
This is an issue upon release of a new phone every year. This year is not an exception. Also is is not an iPhone only phenomenon, it happens with flagship phones of every major brand.
No point bitching and moaning about something you will never be able to control. Just exchange it or buy something new.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Meh, I have never once opened my new iPhone (3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6s) and done anything other than restore it from backup and put it in my pocket. Never looked for minuscule scratches, dead pixels, dust, backlight bleed, or anything else. Just opened it and started using it. Never used a case after the 3GS (except a brief use with the 6s). To me, it is just a gadget that does a few jobs for me, receives a few calls, texts my wife, reads some work emails, takes a few pictures. Life is too short and full of other things to obsess over my phone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Tim Cook no doubt has an iPhone 8, and it was probably made at Cupertino like all the prototypes. I doubt his is a mass-produced Chinese phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You make a good point. It is difficult to get an accurate perspective from a forum. To begin with, I would not expect users who are not technology enthusiasts to visit a forum unless they are facing an issue with their devices. Then, for any issue with an iPhone the truth rests somewhere between the perspective of the apologists and that of the overly critical.

Which would place you in the catergory of being 'Over Critical', being your so concerned with issues you have not even experienced yourself as of yet.

esteli

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Basse-Ville
who knows Tim got a defective iphone 7 plus at first then he exchanged it with the flawless one,just like everybody else who will return their defective iphone before having the flawless one.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Become the CEO of Apple and you'll also have quaking sycophants who will hand you the one perfect piece; whilst shipping the rest of not-so-perfect devices to hapless customers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.